Author Topic: Clarkson MK1 TCG  (Read 29857 times)

Offline rotorhead

Re: Clarkson MK1 TCG
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2013, 04:01:37 PM »
Next 10,

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:29:24 PM by rotorhead »
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2013, 04:04:44 PM »
Next few,

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 01:08:47 PM by rotorhead »
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »
Nuff pics for now,

Here's the story, are you sedated or should that be seated?

In 2009 I had an accident which put me off paid work for 19 months.

SOOOO, I bought this Clarkson Mk1 from a tool dealer with a few goodies and in excellent nick(price wasn't quite that excellent though).

I'd wanted one for a very long time, and now having lots of time on my hands I started playing with it....

I'm a bit of a pratt for wanting things to suit my idea of how it should be, without the initial outlay of producing said item...

Anyway, I stripped it, and found lots of casting sand in the base and pillar, especially in the curved clamping slot of the pillar.

I ground it all away using small rounded points in the drill, I made extension shafts for hard to reach parts, and to finish the curved slot to uniform size throughout its travel.

At this point I must apologise to Rob for hijacking his topic, but he and Matt did ask for pics, but the pics without the tale aren't much use really.

I made a new pivot pin from En24T(I used this steel throughout, for everything that I remade).

Started playing with CAD to draw up everything, to get a better measurement picture(it's quite easy to use someone else's ideas really).

After a few attempts at a workable height adjustment screw, I ended up making the thread 16 x 1.75mm to give me 0.125" at the spindle axis, bought the tap (actually bought 16 x 1.75 & 18 x 1.75, just incase).

In the pics, one can see the 2 x 0.5 thrust bearings I had to hand, I do try to design my own things with what I've got, or can get reasonably cheaply(We've a good bearing supplier in Grimsby, he keeps allsorts).

Anyway it started to come together, other things were cleaned up and tidied up, I found a broken gib screw on the cross slide, them little sods aren't cheap either, so machined the rough cast side for the lock nuts, to remove uneven seating.

The motor stuck out the back too far, I've only got a single car garage so space is limited, mounting on top was doddle, got a shorter belt from another supplier in Grimsby(whom supplied 2 for the price of half of one from elsewhere).

I'm not bitching at anyone in particular, but after looking around saved a few quids.

I took a break from the machine, and made a few washered nuts and tee bolts, I like making batches, it's nice to stand back and see a bit of actual production.

A bit further on I thought I'd taper dowel  items that really needed locating, more to my liking than anything else, as I mentioned earlier I'm a bit of a fussy pratt...

This was one of my pitfalls, I dowelled the turntable before engaging the brain, as I later decided to machine the heads of some M12 capbolts to act as dowels in the base of the pillar to the base plate.

My thoughts were to align everything to everything else, using these capdowels to align the pillar to the base, then to dowel the spindle head to the rocking beam held by the pillar, can you see where this is leading?

After capdowelling the pillar to the base, where I'd dowelled the turntable it was out slightly, due the clearance in the original pillar to base bolts, and also the turntable pivot was sloppy as well.

I got there in the end, I redowelled the turntable in 2 places at 90 degrees apart, so that I know I'll be at the exact angle setting for either direction, in relation to the spindle axis.

Still awake.... I'll post a bit more tomorrow.

Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2013, 05:04:14 PM »
Chris,

you've got me itching to get my Clarkson back together and running, thanks for the photos, food for thought!

Regards, Matthew

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2013, 03:07:42 AM »
Hi Chris

Thanks for the photos and the write up ,very interesting ,,,,,,,,,hijack away  :thumbup:  looking forward to part two .

Like Matthew it has given me the itch to start work on mine ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,must resits  :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2013, 09:13:15 AM »

Like Matthew it has given me the itch to start work on mine ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,must resits  :lol: :lol:

Rob

Rob, please work on this and do not work on the cupola. Don't even think about it.

heh heh heh..........

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2013, 02:10:08 PM »
Hi again lads,

The bearings in the spindle head were ropey, so got some standard sealed bearings, that appeared to have the suitable speed and load rating(they do run a bit warm at full revs after a time).

I'm thinking to drill the housing for a level plug, and take out the inner facing seals, then top up with spindle oil (ISO 5), any comments on this idea would be appreciated...

I have not found any reference to the lubrication of the spindle bearings, there was no oil in the housing, and the bearings were not sealed in any way, other than the close fitting spigotted end caps.

I was surprised to find no spacer sleeve on the spindle, the end caps are the only location for the bearings, but there is a fine thread on the spindle to take up any end float, and introduce some preload...

I've already posted the little tool I made to preload the bearings.

At this point I should also point out, that I have absolutely no experience of grinding machines of this type(I've done some crank grinding work(fixed head type), and also had to rework this particular machine(Lempco)).

However onward, I made a 1" diam silver steel straight extension, solely for the purpose of setting the head true in the horizontal, and also to set the turntable incorporating the slide, to 0 and 90 to the spindle.

As earlier stated, I made some headed taper pins, to facilitate things to remain true to each other.

Getting rid of all these big words, should ease my constipation....

So I then thought about painting it all, I ended up getting some light green Coo-Var Hammered paint, a bit cheaper than Hammerite, I didn't seem able to lay my hands on the same light green as original.

Building it all back together, I became unhappy with the non micrometer dialled cross slide, so designed one to incorporate a double angular thrust bearing to hand, the screw plain shank is 1/2" diam through the boss, the D/A bearing bore is 12mm (luvlyjubbly), so I turned down the shaft, but made a thickish washer as an inner thrust/locator for the small step from 1/2" to 12mm, to butt up to the bearing.

Then I made a housing to incorporate all these modifications, this was made from a lump of 75mm diam Cast Iron, from Locate Metals in S***horpe(they're quite good, usual disclaimer).

Following that I made the dial, made up a number stamping guide, I must have made twice as many tools, to make things to make things than the new bits required to complete the job...

I thought about the nut then, all these bits are in very good condition, so I split the nut to just take away any backlash inherent, to justify the solidity of the bearing arrangement.

Not wanting to bollocks up any grinding wheels or indeed the cutters themselves, I made some travel stops, fully adjustable, to the complete travel of the slide.

I was short of a few guide clamp slidey things, so made some of differing lengths, both for the main machine, and the Radius Attachment, I made these from 50mm diam Cast Iron(from the usual suppliers).

A diamond dresser would ultimately be required, so incorporated a Wolf 3/8" UNF 1 carat into a mounting thingy(pictured).

I'm nearly there....

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:43:58 PM by rotorhead »
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2013, 02:40:52 PM »
I may be going senile - in fact it is quite likely ! - but I seem to remember when I replaced the spindle bearings on my Mk2 Clarkson T&C grinder they were grease packed - in fact I seem to remember I was over enthusiastic with the quantity I repaced it with and had to diss-assemble and reduce the quantity.

This was  probably 15 years ago so a lot of grey cells have died since then  :scratch:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »
Chris,

the sealed bearings are good for 8500rpm, so they are within the speed range greased. If your bearings are warm after a while, it sounds like you got the pre-load right!

I am going to replace mine with un-sheilded bearings as they were originally.  I'm going to stay with grease as I don't intend going over 6000 rpm.

Thanks again for the photos!

Regards, Matthew

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2013, 06:56:37 PM »
Hi lads,

Thanks for the replies, and the info on the bearings, mine were definitely lacking in any form of lubrication to speak of, so went for the easiest option at the time.

I'm struggling to remember exactly what I did 3 years ago, but my injury was to me head, I actually fell from my lorry catwalk backwards onto concrete, I woke up in Hull Royal.

So please bear with me on trying to recollect everything I did to complete the job, it's helping me to look through my own photos of what I took.
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2013, 03:39:55 AM »
Nice one Chris  :clap: :clap: :clap:

It looks like there are allot of parts and mods  I need too make for my TCG  :dremel: , did you make the fingers  ? 

Rob

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2013, 04:17:55 AM »
Hi Rob,

There were a couple of fingers in the kit I got, but machine hacksaw blades especially the the thicker ones, make up ones that are unusual.

It's good stuff really, both stiff and still flexible enough to flex past the cutter to index.

I've not yet finished the narrative, but will have a bit more time on my hands in the week, to remember more from the pics...
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2013, 04:33:57 AM »
Hi Chris

I have a flat coil spring from a hose real  that I think may do the job nicely too make fingers from . just got to remember were I have stashed it  :scratch:

Rob

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2013, 05:10:29 AM »
Old hacksaw blades are what I use
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
ITMA,

Well to cut a long story shorter, I made a few setting up tools and then bought some cheapish CBN wheels.

These turned out to be very poorly made, mounting accuracy wise, I ended up re-machining the hubs whilst holding the periphery of the wheel.

Made a few mounting arbors, and a 2" extension, which I can't seem to find, tried it a couple times on the end of endmills, seemed work alright.

Then I had to go back to work....sodditt...

However, Rob posted this topic, and it came just as I had needed to fire up the Clarky, to clean up a long endmill to face the ends of a bit of pipe I'm utilizing.

I'm getting too old to be lifting damned great lumps of tooling(diving head, rotary table and machine vices), that dividing head must weigh 130lbs.

So, whilst at Lidl's the other week I saw this 250kg hoist(it lifts 250kg not weighing that amount).

Ah I thought at £40 that'll save my back, so started visualizing how it could be done.

One of the places I used to deliver heavy walled steel  tubing to, supplied JCB with cut lengths for their rams etc, needless to say they had a scrap bin, and after getting friendly with the works manager, I expressed a liking to a length or two of these offcuts...

Good job I had a lorry to carry them....

I thought I'd make a couple of dovetailed clamp plates to fit the Elliott overarm slideway, bolt a plate on top, then mount this thick walled pipe vertically, to act as a swivel pillar, inside that will be some sort of shaft in a bearing/bush arrangement, attached to that an arm for the hoist to slide along.

All that sounds simples, eh, nah, trouble is, this now going off topicish, but the tcg does play a part(in cleaning up the bloody endmill)..

Here's a few more pics...
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »
ITMA,

A few more...
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »
I like the way you keep the tooth against the finger - simple but obviously very effective. Had my Clarkson for about 15 years and never thought of that  :doh:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2013, 04:55:40 PM »
Chris thanks,

THAT is a great way to hold the tool on the finger!

I'm really enjoying your "Cool & Tutter" contributions ;-), nothing like a bit of string!

I suspect that I'll be able to make one of those, whereas, an air-bearing, well I doubt my, abilities!!

Thanks again Chris, Regards, Matthew

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2013, 02:54:16 PM »
Hi Lads,

Thanks for the encouragement, learning how to use the Clarky is a bit of a steep curve for me.

I will clarify a little on the garden string method, constant checking of heat build up in the cutter is a must, as it can have a detrimental effect, IE; binding on the centers, I lube them with a little penetrating oil, thin grease might be better, but don't want to attract the dust, to end up as grinding paste.

I again fell flat on my face, by jumping in and grinding that cutter, without checking it was on a parallel axis, stupid tw*t (insert i or a).

So had to make that checking spindle, I didn't get that right first go, I've rebuilt a Griptru chuck, and really like it for getting down to 1/4 thou tir.

However, I don't know if you're all conversant with said type of chuck but, when adjusting it you are moving a bloody big lump about, so vibration can rear its ugly head, and using such a small slocomb, at the wrong revs, a discrepancy can and does creep in, it is not always immediately apparent, until a few tries knocks it into a thick head...

I'm sorry, I'm rambling again...
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2013, 02:59:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing Chris  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers Rob  :thumbup:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2013, 04:57:57 PM »
I do have a couple of air bearing spindles for Clarksons, one of which I'm keeping, but the other is potentially up for grabs / swapsies etc. If I remember correctly it had a very slight tight spot at one point that would need lapping out, but nothing too serious
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2013, 05:35:32 PM »
Hi awemawson,

PM sent regarding Air Bearing
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2013, 05:52:55 PM »
This post is deleted
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:50:25 AM by rotorhead »
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline stvy

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2013, 04:14:29 PM »
Hi,

I also recently came into ownership of a clarkson. Mine is a MKII and most of the standard tooling is missing. I have been reading and learning and making plans to have a go at building many of the parts I am missing. 

I did however also come by an imperial air bearing flute grinding attachment set all in pretty nice condition 2 spindles small and large and 7 collets. So I have a quick question if I may...   Are the collets for the spindles a commonly available type or are they Clarkson proprietary? I would like to get hold of some of the metric sizes which I currently don't have any of. I speculatively called machine spares and they have them in stock although at a price that I would rather consider making an ER collet chuck based spindle instead of purchasing.

From the manual the following size collets are available (where s, m ,Ldenote the small medium (which I don't have) and large spindles)

imperial:- 1/4 s, 3/8 s, 1/2 s, 5/8 s, 5/8m, 3/4m, 7/8m, 1"m, 1"L, 1 1/4 L,  & 1 1/2 L
Metric:- 6s, 8s, 10s, 12s, 16s, 16m, 20m, 20L, 22m, 22L, 25m, 25L, 32L & 38L"

If they can be had at a reasonable price I'll most likely try and pick myself up a fair selection of the metric.

Thanks,
Steve