The Shop > Our Shop

workshop insulation ?(& shop build diary)

<< < (3/9) > >>

Bourne Bill:
when I built my garage (26 x40) I insulated it with 3 1/2" fiberglass insulation and applied pre painted pegboard over it. No sheetrock to finish, and you can hang things anywhere in the shop!!!!!

SPiN Racing:
On my little messy garage.. I used 5/8 marine plywood for the external walls, with 12 Penny nails and Liquid nails between all the joints and boards.
Inside, I only have the wall behind my workbench complete. (Its like 25 feet from my mill and lathe damnit.) But for that I put in R15 fiberglass insulation, and then 1/2 Inch playwood. No Drywall/sheetrock. Why?  The plywood was actually CHEAPER than drywall. And since its the workbench, and or a garage, that will potentially have things banging into things, as well as hung on it.. I went with the stronger wood.

Oh and we have these little rainstorms called Hurricanes that come through once in a while. So everything I did for the garage is at least double, or triple strength.
With the exception of the roof clips... I needed 650 pounds of uplift on every 3rd stud. I found some much nicer shaped, brackets that encase the tip of the studs. And were about 5 cents more per bracket. They also are 2800 pounds of uplift PER clip. SO I put them on every other stud.

That combined with the double wall plus insulation.. the garage is pretty quiet, and not a peep from the building in crazy storms.

I have been out there when a tropical storm goes through and its real quiet when there are 70+ mph gusts of wind and rain.
Interior temperature is very slow to change as well Night and day it stays the same inside.. about the same as the 5AM temperature all day and night.

ProficientBumbler:
In case you needed a few more opinions, I did my garage with R13 insulation & 7/16" osb. I don't have to worry about holes as you would with drywall/sheetrock, plus it gives more strength for hanging items including shelving if you don't weigh them down to heavy. The osb was about the same cost as drywall/sheetrock as I remember.
I used 3" wood screws to attach the osb to the studs.

HS93:
      3" screws to hold 7/16 osb was that so you could hang your hat on the other side ??   :scratch:

Peter

:ddb:

Bourne Bill:
building inspector must be a stickler in your neighborhood, did he specify galvanized?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version