Author Topic: Portable hacksaw machine.  (Read 10171 times)

Offline John Lindo

Portable hacksaw machine.
« on: July 21, 2013, 02:08:49 AM »
As a new guest,I thought I would try and send links (Google + photos) and see what happens.
https://plus.google.com/photos/112848589944601328801/albums/5840601232727851585

From a cheap new drill press,I completely stripped it down and converted most of the parts into a hacksaw machine.
No longer do I have to manual hacksaw bar stock,it will cut up to 75 mm dia.
I used the base,motor,spindle,master switch,micro switch from inside the belt guard
cover as an end of stroke cut off.The rest of the machine was based on D Abbott's design.
The master pulleys and serrated belt were from a Honda cement mixer
Uses standard 18T or 24T blades.Cuts parallel.
Hope the link works
John
Spain.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Re: Portable hacksaw machine.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 07:47:06 AM »
I like it  :clap:, the use of hex bar for the slides and clamp is a good idea ( I suspect expensive though) I thought of that before but dismissed it due to not having a readily available source for the hex bar.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline John Lindo

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 02:16:36 PM »
Thanks
I have a metal stockist here locally in Spain but the freight would possibly be to expensive to ship to the UK. but only 14 meters left and that's it.
It was the grandfather who started the business that remembered he had hex bar in his old storehouse.
The grandson who now runs the business,great guy, was not aware of the stock of metal incl brass in the old lock up his family had
for many years,
I had to drive 6Km with grandad into a old farmhouse to find it.Needless to say the brass I am buying when my pension comes in every month.
The steel hex bar is possibly 45 years old and is the best for machining,It has lead added for ease of machine,
and measures 22 mm A/F
Not used anymore,as CNC machines can make flats in an instant.
if you want me to get you a quote incl shipping to UK no problem.
Regards
John L

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »
Hi John,

I don't know if it's my computer or browser, or the google image host, but trying to view your pics as a slideshow or via the forward/back arrows doesn't seem to work; the same one comes up each time, so I have to return to the thumbnails and then pick the next one.

Shipto, if it's big enough,  there's some 13/16" (20.6mm) hex bar here (not the easiest site top navigate, though)
< http://www.metalandplastic.co.uk/mild-steel/shopby/mp_type-hexagon.html >

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 04:41:31 PM »
John

I have had the same problem as Andy with regards to the photos.

If you could attach them to your posts on the forum or upload them to a photo hosting site and link to them that would be much better for the members to view. If you need any help, just shout out and we will try to help you with it.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline John Lindo

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 12:50:24 AM »
Thanks Don and Andy.
The photo host site I use at this moment is Google + photos.the management program is Picasa 3
when I download from my camera.
The forum attachment option will not allow me to insert the link.only individual slides,possibly in jpg format.
Maybe if you sent me an example of what's worked in the past that would help.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 03:34:48 AM »
Hi, I too had the trouble with Google photos using I-Explorer(Not just with John's photos but any series on Geegle).

Tonight I tried my Opera browser, Presto, All good  Pics scroll as expected. SO, Perhaps a change of browser may be worth a try.
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline John Lindo

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »
Went on to Opera search engine I think
try this link for sorting things out.
I have chosen a different subject to see if that may be the problem in the group of photo's.
https://plus.google.com/photos/112848589944601328801/albums/5869171094904573265?banner=pwa
Thanks
John

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 02:10:52 PM »
Went on to Opera search engine I think
try this link for sorting things out.
I have chosen a different subject to see if that may be the problem in the group of photo's.
https://plus.google.com/photos/112848589944601328801/albums/5869171094904573265?banner=pwa
Thanks
John

John

I have tried out this new link and the results are the same. It may be different if I joined and was a member but at the present time that is not going to happen. If you follow this link it goes to several posts on inserting photo's. http://madmodder.net/index.php/board,11.0.html

I have managed to insert several of your photos from your gear reduction project by going to
-clicking on the thumbnail to display the larger photo
-right click on photo
-click on properties
-copy the full address of the photo to the clipboard.
-Now back to the posting reply window
-go to the top and the 2nd row of square buttons 4th from the left is the IMG button
-click this button once
-Your cursor should now be between the opening and closing IMG tags
Code: [Select]
[img][/img]
-Insert the previously copied file address and you should have this
Code: [Select]
[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-t4H9kpHClzM/UXN8CFuhVXI/AAAAAAAACIA/yMbYQ7AD-oA/w557-h418-no/SAM_1074.JPG[/img]
-Which will give you this

-and here is another example

Being a member of google there may be other and/or easier methods of placing photos than what I have shown. You certainly have a lot of fine projects with photos in all of your different albums on that site. I think I will put out a call for help to see how other members that use google for photos do it. I will get back to you if I find anything out.

If there is anything else I can help with just ask and I will try.

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline John Lindo

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 01:07:21 PM »
Hello Don.
I loaded up Opera,tried to find my way around it and guess what.
I lost all my Google search engine,my yahoo bookmarks and other pieces.
I had to restart the computer by using a restart from an earlier date of 2 days ago.Phew.It
all came back.
Needless to say Opera is where it should be,in the famous classical Musical Halls of the World.
Lets work on this issue via Private e mail and with the moderators help and consent to get a satisfactory conclusion.
Andy franks is a bit of a wizard on this stuff.Hope you are reading this
Glad you liked the gear reduction,it has turned the mini lathe into a grown up.

Very best regards
John

Offline John Lindo

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 01:09:50 PM »
Just a thought.
As I am a newbie on this site,is there a toggle to allow photo's until the acceptance period of being a valid group member is reached.
Thanks
John

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 02:32:51 PM »
Just a thought.
As I am a newbie on this site,is there a toggle to allow photo's until the acceptance period of being a valid group member is reached.
Thanks
John

John

There is no limit on new members for photo's. The only limit is on PM's or email's to members until the new member has made 10 posts. You will have your 10 posts soon, I'm sure.  :D :D

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best