Author Topic: Sawed off cupola  (Read 94049 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Sawed off cupola
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2013, 06:51:55 PM »
3 inches of rain overnight. Yuck. Rained off and on today. But I managed to quickly set up the new oil burner for a couple tests.

Here's the burner end on. You can see the orifice. Behind it is a mig tip jet that supplies compressed air at 30 psi:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:07:09 AM by vtsteam »
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2013, 06:56:51 PM »
Here it is quickly set up very temporarily to test. Rainwater everywhere!

Performance with kerosene (paraffin) was pretty impressive. With waste oil, inadequate. Mixed, the burner ran okay, but I wasn't happy with the heat output for melting iron using any proportion of waste oil. Feed rate definitely slowed with viscosity. I'm not sure what the exact problem is, because videos of the Kwiky burner do better on oil than mine did. Will have to figure that out.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:08:01 AM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2013, 12:39:29 PM »
Solved the waste oil problem. I had a really good test burn this afternoon with a lot of heat produced.

The change I made was to increase the taper at the back side of the pipe plug used in the Kwiky burner. I did this with a 60 degree countersink.

The pipe plug I was using may have been different than the Kwiky's designer. I believe his had a counterbored recess at the back of the plug, as purchased. Mine was solid.

I did counterbore slightly, anticipating the difference. But performance was greatly improved after countersinking it and going as deep as the diameter of the plug allowed. This new smooth taper really increased flow through the nozzle, as well as vaporizing the oil more fully.

Here is a link to the Kwiky burner instructions:

http://metalshop.homestead.com/How-to-Build-The-Kwiky-all-Fuel-Foundry-Burner.html

My rig is pretty temporary at present. I need to work on a small oil leak that drips back along the underside of the burner housing, and build a shutter to control the blower airflow, as well as fasten the whole burner in more permanently and caulk with lining mix.

But it looks quite hopeful for waste oil and melting iron!

Steve

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »
Well done  :beer: :beer: :beer:

We demand PICTURES of that beast burning  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2013, 06:36:16 PM »
Thanks awemawson!

It's hard to tell from a photo, so I took a video.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 10:43:41 PM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2013, 06:41:40 PM »
What you're seeing:

At first the blower is off but compressed air is on. I open the fuel a bit, and you can see the vapor. Then I light the vapor with a Mapp gas torch. You see my temporary blower adjustment (a purposely misaligned vacuum cleaner hose held by a brick!)  Then I turn on the vacuum cleaner blower. Flame is high. Then I reduce the fuel supply a little so I can get a closer shot of the furnace barrel.

The video doesn't quite give the feel of it in bright daylight. That's quite a bit of flame!
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2013, 07:07:26 PM »
Secrets of the TurboPlinth revealed:

In short........it's a brick.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:13:28 AM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2013, 07:15:51 PM »
Other things accomplished today (due to sunshine):

Crucible tongs made from blacksmith tongs plus rebar plus sections of 4" pipe scrap.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:14:28 AM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
....and a pouring shank.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:15:53 AM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2013, 08:16:41 PM »
Thanks awemawson!

It's hard to tell from a photo, so I took a video.

Steve

What happened at 1:08? Is that when the camera melted and dropped into the fire?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice to see you persevering on this. A lot of people as well as yourself are going to benefit by it. Thanks for sharing it with us Steve.  :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2013, 05:17:14 AM »
Looking good!

It may change as the walls of the furnace heat up, but that flame is too yellow to melt iron - not hot enough. I think that you need more air in the equation - you need to aim for blue / almost invisible flame.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2013, 03:41:24 PM »

WahhhhHooooo!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:17:01 AM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2013, 03:56:20 PM »
Steve

It looks like sucess. I guess we will have to wait for the details. Glad to see that it is starting to all come together for you.  :D :D

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline SemiSkilled

« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2013, 03:59:55 PM »
Well done fella  :nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks: :beer:

Lee
You're right, it does look easy when its finished.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »
Excellent, you obviously got it hot enough to melt iron  :thumbup: Now tell us what you tweaked  :coffee:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »
Very nice  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
John

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2013, 05:10:19 PM »
:ddb: :ddb: :ddb: WAY TO GO  STEVE  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

I am chuffed for you  :thumbup: , ,,,,,,,,,,,,,just new you could do it  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rob

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2013, 08:05:33 PM »
Rob,  Don, Andrew, Lee, John, Thank you all!   Wow, what a great feeling....I've really been waiting for years to do this! Seems like a small thing, but it really is something to me.

Man that casting is so HEAVY!  That's what comes of casting so much aluminum. I keep picking the thing up and going, that's a heavy casting. Well, I know, it only weighs about 3 pounds or so....

Andrew, the tweak was only to my courage -- i was pretty nervous, there was a fair amount of water around from the rains, though I got a tractor bucket load of sand and put it around the furnace area. Also just running something that hot for that long (total time was an hour and a half) and just the unknown of what molten iron was like -- I didn't know what to expect. I'd read about "white hot" but it didn't seem so -- just bright yellow.

The skimming had me worried, too, plus wondering if I'd get the iron fluid enough. But that all went perfectly. The equipment functioned just as it was supposed to, and the amount of metal was EXACTLY correct -- a little closer than I usually try to get -- the mold filled right to the top of the sprue and then there was no more. I didn't pour any ingots, though I had the mold ready.

For skimming, I am indebted once again to Dave Gingery for a suggestion to set the crucible tilted so the molten surface was even with the lip. I set up sand and firebricks that way in advance as a prop area, with the shank ring at the bottom, so it was just tilt and scrape and lift and pour.

Thanks to Ironman for many things -- sand mix, and all his videos and suggestions. WC Ammens for suggesting a little charcoal in the crucible with soda ash and lid. The slag was very fluid.
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2013, 09:04:50 PM »
Also Terry Aspin for his books, Stewart Marshall for many aspects of this furnace, Steve Chastain for great books and engineering information, and Madmodders website for the encouragement and a place to talk about it. Otherwise I'd have been the only one to know what I did today.

Back to the interesting stuff for you guys. The lining was in perfect shape after the melt. It just had a very thin brown glaze on it, which I might even count as an improvement. Here's a pic -- the broken up stuff on the bottom is fused sand -- I broke it up when it was an orange sticky taffy mass, as I didn't want it glued to the furnace brick. I also freed the "TurboPlinth" since it served so valiantly. It is also intact, though slightly glazed now.

I made no changes to the Kwiky burner, other than the countersinking I mentioned earlier. I ran it at partial throttle all the way through because with my full volume of the vacuum cleaner blower any more throttle would have created smoke in the exhaust. I look forward to completing a dedicated (and quieter) blower.

Andrew, I never had a blue flame, but once temps were up it was impossible to distinguish a flame from the glowing walls anyway. I just went by whether I was generating sooty smoke out of the top of the furnace. I will say that the hottest period toward the end was the result of a slightly rich (reducing) setting which gave max flame size.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:19:48 AM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2013, 09:25:47 PM »
I'm very gratified to report that standard hard firebrick, available almost everywhere, can be used as a furnace lining to melt iron. That was an unknown for me -- I'd received a few hints otherwise elsewhere.

Also I believe end-on is the most heat resistant and strongest way to do that. I believe this furnace will last a very long time with minimal repairs required

Also that a 4" thick clay/sand and firebrick lining will retain enough heat and has enough insulating value to melt iron.

Also that a physically small burner made of standard plumbing fittings, burning waste motor oil will melt iron.

Also that a brick may be used to deflect a burner flame so that it acts as a tangential swirl burner, and can double as a plinth. No need to make a diagonal hole through a furnace barrel -- particularly a firebrick lined one.

I wasn't sure of any of the above, though reading in books and internet suggested that it would -- just figured it should all be able to be put together to allow low expense, and simplicity of construction, which I hope will allow others to achieve their dream of casting in iron. Now I can say,

Yes it can be done.  :thumbup:

This will be a new upper valve case for my rotary valve 4 cycle to steam engine conversion.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:22:55 AM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »
Backside when first broken out -- you can see the channel from the greensand core -- also how very close I was to running out of metal in this pour! The sprue was full when poured, and did shrink down on cooling -- but I don't want to cut it that close again!

Total metal loaded in the crucible was 5 pounds. Total weight of casting and sprue was 4 pounds 3 ounces. I don't know where the other 13 oz. went as I didn't scrape a lot of slag, just a reasonable amount. Maybe I mis-measured?

Also -- just checked the iron with a file -- it files "like buttah". Nice grey iron.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:23:39 AM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2013, 09:59:55 PM »
Steve

I'm glad to see that all your hard work and research has paid off. The anticipation of knowing it is going to work but not having proved it yet can get the adrenaline flowing.

Thank you so much for taking the time to document all of the steps that you have taken to get to this stage of casting iron. For many it was a very good lesson in back yard DIY casting. I have enjoyed following along and will continue to look for more posts on this and other subjects.

Good luck and pour safe.  :D :D

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2013, 10:19:43 PM »
Don, thanks!

And on the "pour safe" well wishes, -- very apropos -- I do want to point out that it was just a test, and I plan to rebuild most of the burner assembly since what I have here is clearly temporary makeshift. I don't favor open plastic tanks, clear vinyl fuel line, my present loose mounting plate with a couple of screws, etc. But in the interests of a preliminary test It was handy to see the fuel flow and change from kero to waste oil, etc. I don't recommend anyone else copy what I did today.

I'll be improving the whole setup -- and in fact making an improved burner as this one could be better in some respects. Also a new blower, mount, tanks, and better ducting and plumbing, now that I know it works.

And of course, I haven't yet succeeded with charcoal, the original intended fuel, or as a cupola. I'm still going to take a shot at that.
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2013, 07:43:41 PM »
Worked on improving the oil burner today.

One problem with the Kwiky burner on this furnace is a result of its construction. The oil orifice is located in a Tee fitting and a leg of that fitting comes out of the burner tube and connects to the oil supply. What this means is that the orifice is located right at the outer skin. The leg prevents you from pushing the burner nozzle further in.

My furnace shell and lining is 4" thick, so the atomized jet has to travel 4" in to reach the furnace interior.

The original Kwiky also has a nice small size tube housing -- 1-1/4" in diameter. And this size suits the size of the 1/8" plumbing fittings to center the orifice in the tube in a very simple manner.

The problem for me comes because of the long distance and narrow diameter of the tube. The orifice effectively sprays a fan, hitting the tube walls, and spray condenses there and flows down into a drip. That effectively defeats a lot of the purpose of an atomized spray. Probably half of the oils is simply dripping into the furnace, or, worse dripping back out along the bottom of the pipe, unless it is oriented downhill inwards.

The designer of the Kwiky also noted a drip and mentions orienting the tube down and in.

I decided that I wanted to extend the orifice away from the oil inlet tee almost all the way into the furnace so that the spray pattern does not hit the walls of the housing.

The problem with extending with 1/8"pipe is that the tee gives lots of clearance for the oil, but the 1/8" pipe does not -- it is a fairly close fit to the 1/4" copper tube airline which runs inside, concentric with the oil flow.

Here's a pic of the air line inside the oil line:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:24:42 AM by vtsteam »
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2013, 08:17:08 PM »
So the only way to extend the nozzle into the furnce would be to increase the oil feed pipe size from 1/8" to 1/4" ID.

The problem with that was that the pipe fittings would be that much larger and would block more airflow through the outer blower pipe.

I decided to see if I could eliminate any 1/4" pipe fittings but still use a 1/4" iron pipe. The first thing was to check to see if I could internally thread a 1/4" iron pipe to take the 1/8" pipe plug that is used as an oil nozzle in the original Kwiky.  I suspected this could be done but had never tried to internally thread one pipe size to fit another. If it wasn't possible, I decided I'd make a press in plug for the pipe, and drill and tap that to fit the nozzle plug.

Internal threads would eliminate the need for an air inhibiting 1/4" pipe coupler (and 1/4" plug nozzle).

I also decided to silver braze the 1/4" pipe to the existing 1/8" oil tee. This would eliminate a 1/4" to 1/8" reducer.

Here is a picture of the setup for brazing these two.

Oh, it also turned out that, yes, the 1/4" iron pipe could be successfully threaded internally to take the pipe plug nozzle -- shown here on top:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:25:41 AM by vtsteam »
Steve