Author Topic: Chester DB8VS Lathe Mods  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Chester DB8VS Lathe Mods
« on: July 01, 2013, 07:08:12 AM »
Hi Guys.
          1. The Lathe
          2. The Leadscrew Clutch, this was based on the simple dog clutch used on the ML10.
          3. The Tool Rack was the side of an old storage radiater, holes were formed and a charity shop lamp attached.
          4. The Leadscrew Handle was turned from aluminium, the previously sawn leadscrew was withdrawn and set up in   the 5inch lathe. The hole in the end of the leadscrew was 10 thou. eccentric, so this was carefully corrected, then bored true. The handle was attached using a raw plug type expanding bolt made to size. An adjustable dial was fitted to the handle.
          5.&6 The Cam Lock Tailstock is as seen.
          7. The Boring table was fabricated from machined sections and screwed and dowelled together.
          8. The Rear Tool Post is as seen
                                                                    Just got to make a Myford nose for the spindle.    Cheers David

Offline micktoon

Re: Chester DB8VS Lathe Mods
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:00:20 PM »
 Hi David , thans for posting those mods   :clap:, some nice ideas and well made too, I will be doing a few of these in time so may be asking for more details , my project list is growing and I have already rendered my Harrison useless until its finished and now the Bridgeport is also not useable until its had things done so I will resist until they are done but like what I see  :thumbup:

Thanks again for posting.
  Cheers Mick

Offline mechman48

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:12:39 PM »
Hi David   :wave:
Nice mods; your rear parting off tool post is very similar to the Hemingway kit (usual disclaimer) one I made for my WM250V-F, & you've done the same as I have & used a commercial blade holder for better rigidity  :thumbup: , the kit plans showed the 7* angle machined in the rotatable block but I found this led to too much overhang to meet the centre line & gave too much flex on the original 1/2" blade causing dishing on the parted off piece hence I did what you have, much improved rigidity overall.
Cheers
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 03:03:03 PM »
Hi George,
                      I was in two minds wether or not to make my rear parting off tool post with a 7* slot. I am well pleased now that I did not.  Never thought of that senario of incorrect center heights. Hope your info will help others who may consider that option. Thanks for making the point.
                                                              Cheers David

« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:28:09 PM by Meldonmech »