Author Topic: Alba 1A Shaper Vertical Feed  (Read 2731 times)

Offline fluxcored

Alba 1A Shaper Vertical Feed
« on: May 14, 2013, 07:12:11 AM »
Hi All,

I recently got an Alba 1A shaper, unfortunately the freight agent bent the vertical feed shaft next to the handle.

I'm trying to figure out how to remove this shaft without dismantling the whole table.

It seems like the feed gear is attached with a taper pin to the shaft and if I can remove the pin and gear it should be possible to pull the shaft out for repairs.

Has anybody got experience of these little shapers and how to dismantle them?

Other option is perhaps to heat the shaft with an oxy torch and bend it straight again.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thx.
"Living is a dangerous occupation. Just look at all the dead people out there." - Thomas Lipton

Offline Meldonmech

Re: Alba 1A Shaper Vertical Feed
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 02:13:19 PM »
Hi flux,

I would first remove the table and support leg, using the leg to take the weight while you remove the four retainng screws with a socket and extension. The table is heavy so have a stool or whatever to rest it on when you remove it. This should give you much more room to remove the taper pin, and the gear. Removing the shaft to straighten is your best option. I definitely would not apply a torch to it while connected.

Good Luck  Cheers David

Offline fluxcored

Re: Alba 1A Shaper Vertical Feed
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 06:06:57 AM »
Thanks David, I will follow your advice.  :thumbup:

"Living is a dangerous occupation. Just look at all the dead people out there." - Thomas Lipton