Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Threading Die Holder

(1/9) > >>

Darren:
Another new project tonight......a threading die holder for my Smart & Brown turret. I needed something to hold the die positively and square to the work.

This one is rather simpler than the norm as I don't need a sliding section on this lathe as the turret does that for me.
Even so, it still might make an interesting read. I make no excuses for lots of pictures as usual.... :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

The stock,
One half shaft from some sort of truck, no idea which....but it was cheap.  :thumbup:
My only reservation is I that imagine it's hardened somewhat. At least around the gear splines it will be....should be interesting.

2ft rule shown for size

I scored it with a file to test it's hardness, yep, it's hard, but still the file managed to mark it. So forward we go then.
Onto the bandsaw, phew....glad I got one of these as it took a while.

Faced the end off, notice the shiny outer and dull inner....hard on the outside and soft inside. That's some depth of hardening  :bugeye:

Still, it machined really well, exceptionally I'd say

Here's the end again

I found that it didn't much like being machined at a slow speed and it liked lots of feed, however a bit too much and the swarf would catch alight....this pic doesn't really convey it too well. Hard to take a picture and machine at the same time. In fact I don't like doing it.
Sometimes you could get it to really light up...... :ddb:
Enough of that silly nonsense, we're grown ups right  :lol:

That's not my tool tip glowing btw, it's a fire  :bugeye:

Started trimming the hardened teeth, with tungsten tips it was no bother. Nice and slow to get the teeth off, and then wis it up to speed. Here I'm taking 25thou off in each pass.

Turned the end to 19mm/3/4" to fit the turret

Lobbed the other end off. Notice the use of the protective padded envelope  :thumbup:

Trial fit on the turret.

So there you go, bore the center out etc and we are nearly there

sbwhart:
Nice bit of turning Darren  :thumbup:

Cracking finish  :clap:

Cheers

Stew

bogstandard:
Blimey Darren, you don't half love to make life difficult.

I remember turning a 3" diameter wagon shaft once, to make a spike to mount on the front of a tractor for lifting those big round bales.

Luckily it was a job that was done where I was working, and I used almost every tip they had in the place. It took all day to get the long taper done. But it worked a treat.

You've done an exceptional job getting that to such a good finish.

John

Darren:
It's down to the lathe John, it's a really good strong un and just gets on with it. A few worn lead screws etc, but I'm addressing them slowly.

It's real Achilles heell is mentioned in another thread. The belt.... :bang:

Darren:
With the tailstock fettled and now back together I decided to continue with the die holder I'm making.

See, big drill and no arbor spinning, thanks for the tips John, works a treat  :thumbup:
For those reading this and scratching their heads see this thread http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=424.0

Boring it out to 1" to fit the die

Lovely....

Uh oh..... :hammer:
For the want of trying I can't drill this hardened steel. The center drill managed, but only just....but normal drill bits won't touch it.... :bang:

So you knowledgeable chaps, what type of drill bit would you use? I assume as I can lathe it, then I can drill it....
Carbide or a Hard Plate Drill.....

Would carbide do it?

And John, pia that I am I've lost that link you sent for the Hard Plate drill supplier. Can you please remind me....sorry.. :bow:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version