Author Topic: Car boot sale bargain finds  (Read 121074 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Car boot sale bargain finds
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2013, 08:40:40 PM »
Great finds Mick!  :thumbup: A slate nail cutter would fit in here well, the land of slate roofs! That caliper looks identical to mine -- first measuring tool I bought when I built the Gingery lathe eleven years ago. Does it say something like OEM on the label? I really envy the 5C collet block set -- used a set like that in the last place I worked at. That must have been a satisfying day!  :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline krv3000

« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2013, 05:42:50 PM »
well dun mick and just when you was geting fed up of seeing the same stuff

Offline micktoon

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2013, 05:47:48 PM »
Hi Bob thats the wonder of the boot sale ..........you never know what will be on the next stall or there the next sale  :) ...................... hopefully some of this  :drool: :drool: and not too much of this  :palm: :palm: lol.

Cheers Mick

Offline micktoon

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2013, 05:51:21 PM »
Hi vtsteam , I think the caliper had something like 'China machine company' on the box and another name on the caliper, I will check tomorrow , it looks good quality not like a lot of items with Chin marked on them  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick

Offline krv3000

« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2013, 06:11:17 PM »
all i got last sunday was boobs was not till i stopet looking at them that i fawnd the stuff i came hone with

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2013, 06:25:36 PM »
Now that's a tough post to follow!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was going to say here's my caliper. It outlasted two digital ones. Every time they punked out I'd reach for the old mechanical and get on with measuring whatever it was I was er, uh looking at.

Steve

Offline krv3000

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2013, 07:29:02 AM »
hi all its bin the weekend and i went of shopping at the booty i got a set of m6 taps a set of m4 taps a set of 2 BA taps two dies 1 m10 by 1.5 and m8 by1 and a mini tap Handel all for £2 a drill vice £2 and a pigeon clock £1.50 but all i bort it for was the fittings on the box and ges Wat was in side no not a pigeon clock have a look at the pics

Offline micktoon

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2013, 04:08:28 PM »
Well done again Bob , I bet you were pleased when you opened the box and found the DTI  :thumbup: , a good day in all , some nice finds  :clap:

Cheers Mick.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »
Well done Bob
You seem to have the boot sale sorted
John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2013, 04:25:42 PM »
Sundays car boot haul , the weather has started to turn so showers made the boot sales a bit on and off but still managed to find some decent stuff. Here is the days haul.
 Two Scotch augers the long wood drill bits you can see at the bottom of the photo, they have short tee tubes at the top out of the camera veiw that a bar slots through and they are just wound into the wood by hand, this is a 3/4 inch and inch sizes , I have already picked up a few smaller sizes so have a set up to inch now. The box with the electric sockets coming out of it is a 110 volt splitter box so you can leave 3 items plugged in at a time, which will be handy. Three spanners 13mm, 14mm, 17mm that fit my routers for changing bits.  A Clarkson 7/16 BSF tap, a long MT3 tapered reamer, a roatry wire brush, a cup wheel for a grinder, 4 Dewalt recipricating saw blades, a clamp fixture thing, that drops into a hole and will push against an object ( just looked handy for 50p ) and last but not least , the thing that looks like a punch with a knurled section on it is a 1.25 carat diamond grinding wheel dresser made by Albert Herbert so a nice bit of quality kit.

This second photo is a small fixture that a 4 inch grinder fits into and makes it into a small chop saw, they are handy when the grinder has a thin cutting blade for cutting hardened  rod etc and shortening bolts and things.

Cheers Mick.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »
Not much for me this week
A nice blower (from a bouncy castle)
A 15 inch Bacho adjustable
And best of all a Cybermans face mask

John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2013, 04:33:14 PM »
Now that's a tough post to follow!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was going to say here's my caliper. It outlasted two digital ones. Every time they punked out I'd reach for the old mechanical and get on with measuring whatever it was I was er, uh looking at.
  Hi VTsteam I forgot to take a photo of the caliper for you so took one today, its SMIEC , sorry about crappy photo The box says China National Machinery Imp & Exp Corp Shanghai Branch , they are really good quality and have a solid smooth feel to them.

Cheers Mick.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2013, 05:08:30 PM »
Hi lads , more boot sale goodies today, I dont know if its just me but the photos on my last couple of posts look squashed vertically and stretched length wise ?
 This is todays finds, a random selection really.
 Two tubes of brown silicone, a waterproof light switch, I need these items for planned jobs and 4 bowling balls , these are made from a very hard heavy wood called Ligum vitea and are perfect for making mallets on the wood turning lathe.

This is the more engineering related stuff. A tool makers clamp, some nice calipers , Jennys are Starrett and have extending leg and fine adjustment too as well as lock, The large internal ones are Moore & Wright and the similar smaller ones are Brown and Sharp even through they are so alike, the small external calipers are also Brown and Sharp but look older and have pattent 5 97 marked on them 1897 ? A nice 15 inch of Elora ( German ) adjustable shifter and a adjustable wood cutting bit for the old type brace.

Then I spotted a box with books in it ..........Umm there seemed to be foundry type books mixed with religous stuff I managed to get these ones and avoid the religous ones.

I only really wanted the general foundrywork books so will give John and Rob the others as they like the more detailed books on the subject. I will keep these three.

There are two of the Standard methods of analysis so will see if Rob wants the other one, I think he will also like The properties of cast iron and the Chemistry book has quite a bit on metals too as well as things relevant to his plating I think.

I think John will like Practical ironmaking as lots of industrial action in it.

Cheers Mick.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2013, 06:55:59 PM »
nice hall mick

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2013, 08:32:29 PM »
 iron foundry books...

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

:clap:
Steve

Offline Skyrocket

« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2013, 11:49:48 AM »
Nice finds!
I like a good mooch lol
" always buy the whole box!"

my videos !
https://www.youtube.com/user/skyrocketpuke/featured

Offline micktoon

« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2013, 05:00:14 PM »
Hi Skyrocket , looks like you enjoy the car boots too, I have been watching some of your videos  :thumbup:
This is last Sundays boot haul.

A Record chain wrench , A strage shaped hammer, a Record spoke shave and a rough old scraper tool

This is the hammer head, not sure what it would have been for exactly but will clean up and a new handle should make it new again !

Some taps , 7/16th BSF Presto set and M16x2 Osborn, both good makes and as new.

A Mitutoyo 150 Digimatic vernier, it needed new battery so a gamble , but it worked fine with new battery.

Cheers Mick

Offline micktoon

« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »
These are todays finds.

A small Moore & Wright square , A wire and plate size gauge, one side has the standard wire gauge sizes and the other side is marked with the decimal equivalents
A triangle square with no makers name,  a set of Bonhaus imperial allen wrenches and an Oakley soft spounge sanding drum to go in the drill press, these are handy for sanding curved sufraces in wood.

This was a job lot for £3 , loads of different stencils , various sizes of lettering and symbols etc and several straight egdes, scale ratio rules, an adjustable angle setter perspex 90/45 square.

Last but not least this was purchased on behalf of John Doubleboost, I think its his way of not catching a cold again  :lol:

Cheers Mick.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2013, 06:16:05 PM »
That mask will be very handy in the shop after the curry night at the local  :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:
John

Offline Skyrocket

« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »
ha ha great finds indeed!
more of the same.....
" always buy the whole box!"

my videos !
https://www.youtube.com/user/skyrocketpuke/featured

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2013, 02:51:35 PM »
That height gauge is a fantastic find. And the writing is indeed japanese. It's worth remembering this letter becuase it's pretty common and helps tell chinese and japanese apart:

I've had bad luck getting to the car boot sale lately. It's been lovely weather for a long while, but every time I set an alarm and manage to get myself up early enough it's a damp morning.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »
You ruined that height gauge, by touching the bit that says 'Don't Touch Here'. Send it to me and I'll throw it in the skip at work :)

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2013, 05:48:08 AM »
My local Car Boot sales rarely have anything to interest me but this little machine vice intrigued me, I've never seen one made of brass before. The jaws are lined with steel.
The micrometer is just for size.
Norman

Offline micktoon

« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2013, 05:59:56 PM »
Some good finds there Skyrocket  :thumbup: , the height guage was a good buy, I did like the bag of skulls too, I got a good life size skull a while back, that vice is unusual too Norman being brass, the sort of thing you have to bu when you see or you end up regretting it.
  Good to see a few more people posting on this thread too.
 I have a couple of photos to take off the camera of my Sunday booting finds, I will post later or tomorrow .
  Cheers Mick.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2013, 07:13:04 PM »
This is what Sundays car boot sale turned up.

A bit of a varied selection. 2 big size new files, one flat one half round. 4 x 40grit sander belts,  a ' king dick 1/2inch extension bar, a nice pair of wire cutter/ strippers, a bag of cable ties, a carbide tipped drill bit, a Dormer set of easi outs and matching drill set, a Zeus data book, a Wesco oil can, 4 Britool combination spanners 32mm, 19mm, 18mm, 17mm and a Gordon open ended spanner 8mm x 10mm.

This is some 1/2inch thick alloy plate and some 4 inch 100mm ball bearings, they are flaking but ok for what I want them for, to make formers for blacksmithing and metal bashing, they are not light for carrying about boot sales mind !

Cheers Mick