Author Topic: Car boot sale bargain finds  (Read 121082 times)

Offline micktoon

Re: Car boot sale bargain finds
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 06:10:22 PM »
Hi Rob , not a bad little haul  :clap:, espicially the silver solder, a real bargain............you have hit lucky getting milling cutters/ reamer  .......me and Doubleboost have not seen one between us all car boot season ( and its not through want of looking I can tell you lol ) I was going to get an ice cream last time but was trying to carry a 110v transformer , a grinder and a drill plus some other smal hand tools so gave it a miss  :D

Cheers Mick

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 06:26:41 PM »
And do you remember the bright 'dot' left in the middle of the TV screen when you turned it off

And as Neil said in "The Young Ones" that dot meant 'something really heavy man. No more telly'  :D

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 06:44:45 PM »
Really wish I could afford a car. All the boot sales within range of Sunday morning busses aren't the sort i'd ever expect to find reamers or even drill bits at.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 08:27:42 PM »
I'd be amazed to find anything like an end mill at a garage/tag/lawn sale here. Or silver solder.

However if you like jigsaw puzzles, aquariums missing one pane of glass, Lawrence Welk LP's, plastic tricycles, ashtrays, or assorted VHS exercise tapes, this is a paradise for that sort of thing.

Nice haul, Rob!

(especially the silver solder....)
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2013, 06:04:18 AM »

Well i've just had a great weekend. Was taking apart a neighbour's washing machine when the neighbour opposite noticed and came over and helped me get the drum bearings out without destroying them. Turned out he had a drawer full of bearings and offered me any I thought I could make use of.

Anyways feeling enthusiastic I headed to the Swalwell car boot sale to try my luck. Just at the very end a fella was selling a frame level for £60, which was a good price I figure but more than I could afford. I had a bit time to wait for the bus so I head back to ask if he'd take anything less, or if I could have his phone number in case I decide I want it. But then the guy offered the smaller level he'd been hiding for £20 and I snapped it up.

There's a good Geordie saying, "Shy bairns get nowt". It never hurts to ask.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2013, 01:07:57 PM »
Hi
Lads
Went to a couple of car boot sales today with mick
I spent £18 in total

The vice is hand made & of very good quality

Books on welding (mint condition)

A set of quality drawers

Found this inside the drawers (open to ideas)

Very nice camera case with keys

John

Offline philf

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »

Found this inside the drawers (open to ideas)

John,

It looks like a portable ultra-violet lamp for e.g. reading details written with a security pen.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2013, 01:24:39 PM »
I was thinking a bank note checker
John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »
Good booting boys  :thumbup: :clap: , that thing is both a bank note checker and a light that cecks for security pen makings as they both work on ulta violet..........I thought I heard a clunk inside them draws John  :lol: .... with the luck you were having today its a wonder it was not a wallet stuffed with cash lol. .......... still a dam good days collecting John  :drool:

Cheers Mick.

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 05:22:26 PM »
Some great finds there lads!

I went to three bootsales this morning and came back with load of stuff!

I bought a Dremel multi (7.2v) for a fiver, and eezibleed system for 50p to do the bleeding when I overhaul the brakes on my Midget..

I bought some fishing lures and line for my son, a couple of nice cheap (well, i'm a Yorkshireman!!) watches od Swiss make, I bought antique furniture and pictures for the wifes antique stall!!

Oh and a guitar for a tenner! (like brand new too!!)..

a few years ago I bought a huge bundle of silver solder, I put it in my garage and thought no more of it until I needed to get some out to give a friend some, my garage had been turned over a while before I needed to get it out, it looks as though they nicked it as I never did find it  :palm:

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Bosch battery drill with two batteries, a quick charger and it was cased, it cost £5, I thought the batteries were dead, it turned out they both just needed charging!, the week after I bought a spare battery for a pound, that was in good order too!!

Some more of my 'booty' finds!!

Cheers, John  :beer:

Offline micktoon

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »
Been back to the car boots today with John DB, this is my finds for today.

Quite a varied selection, quite a few bits and bobs of tig welding collets ceramics etc , a flexi neck 26 tig torch head, a nice big old wood clamp, some leather working pliers come hammer plier tool , a pair of end snippers, an O ring plier ? , some french chalk sticks , a carbide burr , a small rose bearing , a large tap wrench , a die wrench , a nice tack hammer and last but not least a full size resin cast of a skull !.................. beleive it or not just what I was after as I want to carve a bigger skull so perfect to work from.

These are the Oring pliers closed

This is them half open the three prongs all move outwards and open to about an inch or a bit more. They will work for O rings but I think I have seen this type of thing getting used to put coloured plastic ID rings on birds legs ?  so that might be what they actually are ?.

All in all a canny days booting !

Cheers Mick

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2013, 05:14:48 PM »
Hi
Lads
Managed a couple of car boot sales with Mick
In between painting the mill

Not a bad collection for £ 10
The smiths car clock will be going on ebay they are hard to find now
John

Offline philf

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2013, 05:45:35 PM »

This is them half open the three prongs all move outwards and open to about an inch or a bit more. They will work for O rings but I think I have seen this type of thing getting used to put coloured plastic ID rings on birds legs ?  so that might be what they actually are ?.

Mick, They are actually Hellerman sleeving pliers for fitting rubber sleeves to cables e.g over a soldered joint in a connector.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline micktoon

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »
Hi Phil , I would say you get top marks there as they are marked Hellerman down the side, so they would do what heat shrink sort of does eh  :thumbup: , I think they will have a few useful uses, I have struggled with getting sleeves , O rings etc on things before and I think these would have done the job..................... no doubt I will never come across another job like it now I have these  :lol:

Cheers Mick.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2013, 06:32:55 PM »
hi well they are for puting ruber sleving on and can be used for streching heet shrink i have two pers

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2013, 07:01:55 PM »
Hi Mick, I used to use pliers like that almost every day in the late seventies working as an electronic engineer. They were used with some weird smelling oil that was applied to the sleeve before sliding it over the soldered joint. I think we called it Hellerman oil.

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline krv3000

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 05:13:34 PM »
 bang on  Hellerman oil. smelt of roten fish to me

Offline micktoon

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 05:05:37 PM »
 Been back to a boot sale today and got a few bits and bobs. Nothing much engineering wise about but some useful stuff here.

The round thing at the back is a new Wadkin grinder cup wheel from a knife grinder used for grinding HSS planer blades, 4 nice large spring clips ( handy for holding things when they are glued etc ), an unused Stanley number 80 scraper plane I have been after one for a while. A good quality fine small oilstone set into a wood box, two large combination spanners 32mm & 36mm , a flexible car body file, a small pair or M&W calipers and a number drill stand from 1-60. I think the whole lot came to £22 but the Stanley plane was £9 of that so a good days booting  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick

Offline krv3000

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2013, 07:16:12 PM »
hi all well this is my hall from last sunday and thursday of this week all the items that i got on sunday was £5 as it all came from one stale the stuff that i got on thursday a drill chuck with key 30p a box with a suprise in it £1 two diy handels 50p a set of M&W deviders 50p pics

Offline micktoon

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2013, 07:23:28 PM »
Well done Bob , I like the box and the way the square came up  :thumbup:  :clap: :clap:
  Cheers Mick

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2013, 08:08:30 PM »
Nice job on those dividers, too -- they look new now! :thumbup:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline micktoon

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2013, 04:17:28 PM »
Well the sun was out so myself and JohnDB hit a couple of bootsales once again. We both got some decent stuff, here is my haul, although I got some good gear I was still gutted to see a bloke pick up about 12 tee handled allen wrenches like the one I did get ( I have been looking for some for a while) from right under my nose a matter of seconds ahead of me and get them for £2.............. still I cant complain, I got some good stuff today.

The haul consists of a nice big adjustable spanner ( 24 inch ) it was spotted by John but he alredy has one so I picked this one up ( made in China , which I dont like in general but seems good enough quality ). A 30mm combination spanner, pair of knee pads , a Bahco hacksaw, welders chipping hammer, A welders magnetic clamp , leather hole punch , two square hole punches for sheet metal, roll pin punch , 2 hole saw arbors, a metal wedge, Roebuck small bolt cropper type wire cutters, nice wire crimpers, 1/4 tee allen wrench, small pigs tail flexible handled tool, like a tiny drain clearer tool and 1 set of brass interlocking letter stencils and 2 sets of number stencils, its the type you can assemble then spray through, like used to mark army ammo boxes etc. All at the usual reasonable car boot type prices, so well pleased.

Cheers Mick

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2013, 04:29:54 PM »
Hi
Lads
This is todays haul

Decent 3/8 socket sett

Hammer made in South Africa has a very nice feel to it

A good day spending less than the cost of 40 cigarettes
John

Offline krv3000

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2013, 04:17:49 PM »
nice hall you two no wunder thers nothing left for me as i sed ther is sum good stuff to be had at bootsales

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2013, 03:29:20 PM »
Hi
Lads
Another good day at the boot sales
This collection & 3 pairs of new work trousers all for less than £20

John