Author Topic: Car boot sale bargain finds  (Read 121030 times)

Offline krv3000

Re: Car boot sale bargain finds
« Reply #225 on: September 07, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »
hi all well bin shopping ones more i got a box of springs for £1 two tins of pant £1 for the two a 8x5mm tap £1 a 7x1mm tap £1 a set of m6 taps £1.50 a set of m2 taps £1.50 a gas lamp £1 two pears of mine tin snips £2 for the per and for £5 a borascope can do me own probing gnaw will post sum more pics of the probe it works just the image was carp the plastic lens cover had became all scratched and i tried every thing i had to polish it but with out success so mad a new on out of glass and a digital thermometer for £2 no pics of it yet will put sum on tomorrow and a box of things for a mine drill right pics

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #226 on: September 07, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »
Hi
Lads
Did 3 boot sales today
Bought some "bizweld" fire retardant work trousers
2 nice hammers

John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #227 on: September 07, 2014, 06:20:41 PM »
 Looks like everyone had a good day, it was nice and sunny , a big factor in the booting day lol.

This is my haul from todays 2 bootsales, quite a varied catch again consisting of : A pasta making machine £2........???? what I hear them say , ..............aye don't worry no pasta making here its for rolling out polymer clay for making a prototype for a carving project , the herb chopping knife £1 this is to chop the clay up too.      3 boxes of good Wurth woodscrews £5, two good old fashioned hand brushes £2, 4mm Tee handle Allen wrench 50p, Refco pipe clamp £2, Maun safety 12inch rule £1, 2 tubes of BOC silicon bronze brazing rods, 1.6mm & 3.2mm £6, a thin tube of Cuprotic 3.2 welding rods for copper I think £1 , some 2mm Rothenberger S2 hard soldering rods for Copper £2 and last but not least a nice rev counter from a Royal Navy type 23 frigate, it looks like it will be good for future project especially at £3.

This is the rev counter

The Refco pipe clamp, the company seen to do refridgeration type stuff

The other odd ball thing was some books on Fungi for my mates wife , she is interested in this sort of thing and is laid up after an operation on her foot so these should keep her amused, or get her off to sleep , one of the two ! The other book is off Doubleboost for an old friend of mine who loves all things Roman, its a good 1933 guide to Hadrians wall, cheers John.

Cheers Mick.

Offline hermetic

« Reply #228 on: September 08, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »
New this girl once who married a mushroom, apparently he was a fun gi  to be with!

:D :doh:
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline micktoon

« Reply #229 on: September 08, 2014, 06:56:09 PM »
 LOL , I might inscribe that in one of the front covers of the books.........a fungus type reader should find it very amusing  :lol:

Cheers Mick.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #230 on: September 08, 2014, 07:23:58 PM »
But she had to keep him in the dark and feed him BS

Offline krv3000

« Reply #231 on: September 09, 2014, 05:06:51 PM »
brill mick and john

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #232 on: September 11, 2014, 10:50:22 AM »
New this girl once who married a mushroom, apparently he was a fun gi  to be with!

:D :doh:

An oldy and a mouldy!

Offline Skyrocket

« Reply #233 on: September 12, 2014, 01:31:59 PM »
 :dremel:
not a bad day at the car boot, and I found a alternative use for chest expanders  :palm:

" always buy the whole box!"

my videos !
https://www.youtube.com/user/skyrocketpuke/featured

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #234 on: September 12, 2014, 07:00:22 PM »
Gee you blokes have it good with all these car boot sales and pick up's.

So how long will it take to clean all those drills up sharpen them and???

Offline krv3000

« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2014, 05:29:41 PM »
hi well bin shoping and got this lot of one seller for £10 a mitutoyo d.t.i a starrett level a file two sets of stud extractors from kennedy and a jam jar with sum dies and a die handel most of the dies turnd out to be BA and the die handel is x army dated 1940 as per the d.t.i got a scrub up right pics

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #236 on: September 21, 2014, 04:49:49 AM »

Glad I got out of bed this morning. I've been hoping to find a scope some day for about 2 years.

It's a bit rough looking though. Not sure if it actually works yet but I want to wait a bit before I try plugging it in. Looks like it was stuck in an attic for a while since it's got a few cobwebs with bits of tinsel trapped in them, and the crud on the screen appears to be bird poo. It's clean inside though.

I think i'll have to get off my ass and finally build those desk shelves i've been planning to for yonks, so I have somewhere to put this.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #237 on: September 21, 2014, 05:50:52 AM »
Good catch with that scope - its a storage mainframe so (if you can trigger it!) you can catch single-shot events. If I remember right its genuinely a dual-beam tube, and I think those are delayed / hold-off plugins.

Only thing with kit of that vintage is that electrolytic capacitors may have deteriorated & may need changing.  :zap:

Dave

Offline hermetic

« Reply #238 on: September 21, 2014, 07:37:17 AM »
I always wanted a scope, not that I had any use for one, or really the in depth electronic knowledge required to use one, but we had some in the physics lab when I was at school several centuries ago, and we also used them in the electrical engineering lad at college, where we used to record the number of HFT events on the mains supply in 24 hours (except when the cleaners used to ignore the "LEAVE ON" notice and turn it off) and I found them fascinating. That looks like a really nice bit of kit, have fun with it! What do you intend to do use it for?
Phil.
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #239 on: September 21, 2014, 01:49:32 PM »
Good catch with that scope - its a storage mainframe so (if you can trigger it!) you can catch single-shot events. If I remember right its genuinely a dual-beam tube, and I think those are delayed / hold-off plugins.

Only thing with kit of that vintage is that electrolytic capacitors may have deteriorated & may need changing.  :zap:

Dave

Yeah the guy said it was one of the early storage ones. I think i've got to do some reading up on how to actually use the things, and buy/make some probes before I can really check if its working. From a quick look visually the capacitors look okay, haven't leaked, so hopefully they're still in order.

I always wanted a scope, not that I had any use for one, or really the in depth electronic knowledge required to use one, but we had some in the physics lab when I was at school several centuries ago, and we also used them in the electrical engineering lad at college, where we used to record the number of HFT events on the mains supply in 24 hours (except when the cleaners used to ignore the "LEAVE ON" notice and turn it off) and I found them fascinating. That looks like a really nice bit of kit, have fun with it! What do you intend to do use it for?
Phil.

I've got no real in depth knowledge on electronics either. I've found it difficult to find good information; most textbooks are theory heavy and barely talk about applying the stuff, and there's alot of nonsense in general on the internet about electronics engineering.

I'm hoping to use it to build a synthesizer some day (when i'm not as busy!) to learn electronics and they seem fairly essential for that, but from watching videos of various repair work work they also look fairly handy for chasing down faults and other general stuff.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #240 on: September 21, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »
Hi
Lads
Had a good day at the boot sales

All the above for a tenner
£10
John

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #241 on: September 21, 2014, 03:32:05 PM »
Amazing haul for a tenner, John!

Scope update: Replaced the euro plug on it, and switched it on. The screen flickered but nothing after that. I'm assuming that even without probing anything you should be seeing a line. So that doesn't bode well. It's all very modular though and everything pulls out for easy access, so hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to find the fault. I tried all the obvious stuff like checking the fuses and looking for leaky caps. Found a manual for it too, so i'll read up on that and look up some other scope repair stuff before I try figure out whats wrong with it. Hopefully it's just user error and I need to press a switch to see anything!

Offline philf

« Reply #242 on: September 21, 2014, 03:59:27 PM »

Scope update: Replaced the euro plug on it, and switched it on. The screen flickered but nothing after that. I'm assuming that even without probing anything you should be seeing a line. So that doesn't bode well. It's all very modular though and everything pulls out for easy access, so hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to find the fault. I tried all the obvious stuff like checking the fuses and looking for leaky caps. Found a manual for it too, so i'll read up on that and look up some other scope repair stuff before I try figure out whats wrong with it. Hopefully it's just user error and I need to press a switch to see anything!

I'm far from being a scope expert but I've owned many since my Telequipment S51 about 42 years ago.

Try the following:

Make sure the storage is switched off.

Try pressing the Trace Locate button. Hopefully something may appear.

There's a square wave calibration output underneath the Trigger Level knob. Take that output and plug it in to one of the Inputs. (Don't worry about a proper probe at this stage.) Adjust the Volts/Div to 0.5V/Div; Switch the Trigger to Auto. Adjust the Vertical Position knob to see if anything appears on the screen.

Good Luck.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline philf

« Reply #243 on: September 21, 2014, 04:04:17 PM »
Hi
Lads
Had a good day at the boot sales
All the above for a tenner
£10
John

John,

Some of those threading inserts could be about £10 each!

You lucky Twastard!

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #244 on: September 21, 2014, 04:19:49 PM »
I bought a 8 TPI acme it was £ 12 for one  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #245 on: September 21, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »

I'm far from being a scope expert but I've owned many since my Telequipment S51 about 42 years ago.

Try the following:

Make sure the storage is switched off.

Try pressing the Trace Locate button. Hopefully something may appear.

There's a square wave calibration output underneath the Trigger Level knob. Take that output and plug it in to one of the Inputs. (Don't worry about a proper probe at this stage.) Adjust the Volts/Div to 0.5V/Div; Switch the Trigger to Auto. Adjust the Vertical Position knob to see if anything appears on the screen.

Good Luck.

Phil.

Expert or not, you got it working. It was a mix of everything at once I think, storage was switched on, the intensity was set low (doy), and it turns out it takes a few seconds for the tube to warm up and a line to appear. Since taking this photo the power light also decided to start working again.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: Had to take it back downstairs. Something about it is making me sneeze like crazy. Only thing I know i'm allergic to is cats, so the previous owner must've had a few about and dust settled inside. I'll have to blow it out with compressed air or something.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #246 on: September 22, 2014, 04:28:33 PM »
brill hall john

Offline krv3000

« Reply #247 on: September 22, 2014, 04:30:27 PM »
good one two Mr heslop

Offline micktoon

« Reply #248 on: September 22, 2014, 06:20:33 PM »
Hi Lads, this is my haul from Sundays car booting, I was with John and had a good day too.

As you can see quite a good engineering related batch today, the lathe tools are 25x25 type for the big lathe some with spare tips too and a parting tool with spare blades and tips, the boring bar is 25mm and a good length, a couple of decent DTI's and a Noga mag base plus various taps, calipers etc.

Ther is a nice old Weller 100w soldering iron and a Burgess Vibro tool engraver, a good old powerful heavy duty thing not like the Sh** you get today , its even in the original box !, a couple of de burring tolls with spare blades.

This is the best DTI , a Rambold German made 2 inch travel guage, I have never heard of them but its good quality and feels heavy. I think everything in total came to £60 or a few quid less, so well happy with the days goods.
  Cheers Mick.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #249 on: September 24, 2014, 02:09:23 AM »
Its a wonder there is anything left after you two go shopping.