The Shop > Finishing

Junk yard project ,media blasting , pressure pot

(1/5) > >>

Rob.Wilson:
Afternoon Lads

Woke up yesterday with an itch I needed to blast  and now that my welding shop is sort of usable I thought I would do a bit fab work and make a pressure pot for blasting , there is no way I would pay close too £200 quid for one , mine will cost me about £2 quid and thats for electricity ,cos I cant make that LOL

Mine will be made from free junk parts , scrounged and given , John donated the tank from an old compressor  :thumbup:

Cleaned up the tank , cut off all brackets.

Cut down a 3" BSP lump of SS pipe for the filler and threaded up a short length of 1/2 pipe .

Cut a hole in one end of the tank for the filler .

and welded the filler neck in ,using dissimilar welding rods .

Then made up a trolley from an old sack barra and welded that to the tank , with all the welding to the tank done I gave it a hydraulic test .

Full of water .

Hand pump

Tested to 220 PSI , I will be running the tank at about 90 PSI

All being well it was given  a bit of a paint job

Still needs another coat of paint ,then I can get the pipe work fitted .

Rob

John Rudd:
Nice job Rob,  :clap: :bow:

but yer welding looks like pigeon ****.....(not!!!)

What blast media you going to use?

I use garnet ( free from work) or chilled cast iron ( again from work) or ally oxide...

Ideally a tungsten tip is best, I found the ceramic ones dont last... :scratch:

Rob.Wilson:
 :lol: :lol: Thanks John

Garnet ,,,,,,,,,cos I can get it free  :med:

Thinking about making my own nozzles and gun , as I can seam to fine any local .

Rob 

John Rudd:
Rob,

Where is the blast media exiting the tank? :scratch:
I dont see a tee at the bottom...

Are you going to use a water trap/filter on the inlet?

What size compressor you going use? (let me guess, you got a second hand 90cfm diesel compressor from work for free... :lol: )

Waiting to see what creations you come up with for a gun/nozzles

Rob.Wilson:
Hi John

From the bottom mate were I had the high  pressure hydraulic line fitted for testing the tank .

I have a water trap fitted to my shop air pipe work , but I am still thinking of fitting one to the pot when I fined one , thought I had found one the other day ,

Pile of junk ,,,,,,,,,,,,cant resist ,,,,,,,,FREE STUFF

wanders over  :ddb:

Nice water trap/reg and oilier

Shame its 1/4 BSP no good for this project ,but  it will do nicely for a power draw bar on the CNC mill ,also got a bunch of other useful tackle from the pile  :med:

I have a 15 Cfm compressor works fine with my siphon blast cab , ist not like i am blasting for hours at a time ,I do have a spare 15 pump and motor unit I could add to the system if necessary  .

Rob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version