Author Topic: Miniature Tool Collection  (Read 106173 times)

Offline flyingtractors1

Re: Miniature Tool Collection
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2013, 07:15:17 PM »
Thanks Don.  Great men often do repeat themselves repeat themselves repeat themselves   :D   As long as I know that there is interest in my stuff out there and I can create, I'll keep posting.   Ralph
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:40:49 PM by flyingtractors1 »

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2013, 02:08:02 AM »
What Don said, Ralph........   :thumbup:

Though. To my eye. There is a noticeable improvement in "quality", about these last two. If that's possible......   

Well done! (Again).  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2013, 09:21:14 AM »
Thanks David.  Good eye - the latest were presentation pieces, and I did my very best to make them extra nice since they were special gifts.  And the benefit for me was growth by the realization that I can improve my technique and apply higher level skill to produce better pieces.  It takes longer, but time is in good supply (so far), and I'm not working for hourly pay.  It also causes me to realize that there is always room for improvement, and I am personally enriched and more gratified.  Thanks again for noticing.  That is the greatest compliment (gift) of all.   Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2013, 08:12:49 PM »
I liked this little plane so much just had to build another one.  This one in brass with Rosewood accents.  Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2013, 01:46:21 PM »
I'm starting a new miniature plane build. This one is an original design and will be different from my earlier builds. Up to now, I have attempted to produce a small copy / representation / simulation of full scale planes that I have seen (in "person" or in pictures). Since this is an "original" compilation of pieces and parts in my awareness, I'll call it a "Shoe Plane" , and it will become evident why as it progresses. Ralph

Pieces cut and formed from sheet brass.

and arranged in proximity.

then silver soldered to form a unibody.

More as it develops.   Ralph

Offline micktoon

« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2013, 06:23:01 PM »
Hi Ralph , well I think those two are probably the best finished yet so what ever you are doing is working  :thumbup: , I bet this latest one will look lovely around the radiused front end when finished too  :drool: :drool:.
  I dont know if you or anyone else interested to be reading this has seen the recent Gwinnet woodworkers video on Youtube,

at about 1 hour 19mins a guy has some miniture rifles then a selection of tool very like yours, you will no doubt know what each one is and may have seen them before Ralph but worth a look.
  Keep up the good work  :dremel: :thumbup:

Cheers Mick.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:39:51 PM by dsquire »

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2013, 02:59:42 PM »
Thanks Mick.  It is winter and very cold out in Colorado, so I have more time indoors to tend to my projects + with every build I learn something which reflects on the next. 

And thanks for sharing the video GWA video.  I was somewhat familiar with Paul Hamler's work, but had not seen it in this detail.  He built (mass produced) a lot of fine tools - miniatures 1/3 scale and full scale.  I sure enjoyed the video and learned some things.

A little more progress on the shoe plane.   Ralph

Offline micktoon

« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »
Hi Ralph , glad you enjoyed the video and also learnt some new facts  :thumbup: ( thanks to whoever changed the link to a picture type link  :thumbup: ), I am glad its too cold for you to go out as you sure seem to be cracking on with the shoe plane  :lol: , I like the look of this one  :drool: .
  Cheers Mick.

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #158 on: December 19, 2013, 09:51:16 PM »
 Thanks Mick.  You and others have encouraged me to build and post pics of my miniature all along.  I don't know how many  I've posted, but as you might imagine (or could have wondered), I do now have quite a collection, and rounded up most of them for a group picture.

To see a little more action, check out my YouTube channel

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 06:19:15 PM by dsquire »

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2013, 02:03:18 AM »
Wonderful collection with many man-hours work involved. Thanks for allowing us to follow the journey. Are you game to guess just how many man-hours are involed? OR would you rather not know?
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2013, 02:05:27 AM »
That's fantastic!

The fact you actually use them to build other stuff makes them even cooler.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #161 on: December 20, 2013, 04:37:40 AM »
Hi Ralph
                A great video, nice to hear you describing your collection.  I and a lot of people I am sure would be interested in seeing how you investment cast your planes, and what materials you use in the process.  May be you could make a little video.

Well Done   Cheers David

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »
Thanks Gents.

David, at the bottom of page 1 is a sketch outlining the casting process, and the last 1/2 of page 4 illustrates the mold and wax pattern making process.  They don't quite show the actual casting in process.  Although I don't do castings all that often because the setup involves a number of complex procedures, next time I will do a pictoral documentation.

Yes, S. Heslop.  The original reason that I built the first tiny plane is that I needed to accurately "plane" down some small components that I was building for a model airplane.  And what do ya know? . . . I dont fly much any more, but am still building miniature tools and use them for other small jobs.

Well John, I don'y know how many hours I've invested nor what else I could have done with that time, but it's been a lifetime of either insane or sanity preserving endeavors - as hobbies (and obsessions) go.  It typically takes 40 to 60+ hours to build a piece, and I've built close to 100 pieces.  I don't even know where they all are.  Many have been gifted to special people, and some just turn up here and there in unexpected places - nooks and crannies and niches where they have been stashed.  The joy that I've had building and using (and showing) these little gems surely has been worth it all.  So I just keep doing it - now almost entirely for sanity sake.  It is my therapy.

Ralph

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #163 on: December 20, 2013, 01:34:46 PM »
That is quite the difference I've seen your toolbox but had no idea you had all these others well done!
I wonder what the guiness book has for the handmade minature plane colection.

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #164 on: December 20, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »
Thanks Tom.  Yeah, the collection has grown beyond my tool board.  Now I may need to build a tool chest to contain some.  I don't know that / whether Guiness keeps records of such things, but I'm sure that no one has created, for example, a 1/4 scale of a functional #4 plane (this may be the world's smallest) or of an actual 1/4 scale model of a legitimately dovetailed infill plane and some others.  I have seen none nor heard of any.  I'd love to see them if they exist, or maybe not - cause then I'd have to build a 1/5 scale.?  Maybe we should research Guiness.   Ralph

and

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:22:42 PM by flyingtractors1 »

Offline micktoon

« Reply #165 on: December 20, 2013, 04:10:27 PM »
    Hi Ralph, fantastic collection, they do deserve a special tool chest or case but you will have to leave plenty extra sapce for future projects as I am sure there will be more to come. It does make you wonder about the Guiness records, I would imagine they must be quite easy to work with as there oftern seems to school kids etc breaking records of all types.
  Thanks for posting the video , for some reason I thought they looked even smaller in the video than in the previous photos posted................ as for the time spent, I would say its time well spent if you enjoy it and how many people will have spent more time watching tv or playing on Xbox type games and have nothing to show for it after all the hours  :coffee:
  Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a productive 2014  :D

Cheers Mick.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »
Great collection, thanks for showing in the video.

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #167 on: December 21, 2013, 11:11:04 AM »
Thanks Mick and NickG. 

I sure have enjoyed building and photographing (videoing) my models.  It has been my therapy, but I'm not sure whether it has  driven me insane or kept me from it.  Sorry that the video was out of focus so much.    :palm:    Maybe I'll try another approach if I get a better camera for Christmas (blame the camera).   Have a Wonderful Holiday.  Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #168 on: December 21, 2013, 07:34:58 PM »
New "improved" plane collection video.   Ralph

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 09:36:00 PM by dsquire »

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #169 on: December 22, 2013, 12:47:26 AM »
Hi Ralph,   Just watched your ewcent video with much enjoyment.   You certainly seem to fulfill the definition of the word, "Hobby:- An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure". Thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to share your hobby and giving us pleasure too.
Regards and Merry Christmas
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #170 on: December 22, 2013, 12:09:57 PM »
Thanks John B.  It is gratifying that you enjoy my work.  Knowing that appreciators, such as yourself, are interested encourages me to keep up with the photo industry and posting.  As you so accurately described, I am a Hobbyist  And a collector.  One might add that I am a true amateur - "one who does something for the love of doing it".    :D    Others might say obsessed, since I can't seem to stop.   Ralph

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #171 on: December 22, 2013, 12:33:03 PM »
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #172 on: December 22, 2013, 01:50:43 PM »
Thanks mklotz.  I do find the work of William R. Robertson interesting, motivating and inspirational.  I had seen some of his work but not to this extent.  I am totally impressed.   Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #173 on: December 27, 2013, 01:41:03 PM »
New Project - And have previously built the essentials -- Master Pattern, Rubber Mold and Wax Patterns and did a limited production run (all I needed was 1), but plan to produce more of this model.   Ralph

But first, it goes without saying that the Master pattern and Master mold had to be created to get to this stage.  The Master mold building was presented earlier on page 4, and below is a pic of how the Master pattern was constructed which yielded the mold.  Each component was hand carved / filed of hard wax and arranged with proper flow channels - that is, connected together with softer wax wire to form a single piece and providing channels for the molten metal to reach every part of the pattern.  Then it was suspended in a plaster filled flask, and it was burnt out (lost wax).  The remaining cavity in the plaster mold was injected with molten metal, cooled and finished (filed, sanded and buffed to perfection).  This could be the end of the process if only one piece was desired, but to produce multiple copies - a Master Pattern has to be free of imperfections because every little detail will transfer to the rubber mold and then appear on the resulting secondary patterns.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #174 on: December 27, 2013, 03:38:18 PM »
   Hi Ralph, is the mould you show plaster of Paris, for casting the bronze?

Cheers David