Author Topic: Miniature Tool Collection  (Read 106788 times)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Miniature Tool Collection
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2013, 02:00:03 AM »
Pencil highlights!!  :bugeye:

That explains the totally unexpected, "vice jaw" marks, I thought I could see........

A mock up, maybe. But, to your usual high quality Ralph. Despite the dirty hands!  :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline micktoon

« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2013, 06:19:05 PM »
Hi Ralph, You are almost there now !!  :clap: :clap: , Looking good so far . I can almost picture the finished thing in silver and brass already and it will be a fine sight thats for sure  :drool: Congratulations so far ( and glad to see you have been eating too ) I think the dirty hands gave nice contrast !

Cheers Mick

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2013, 01:31:17 PM »
Well Gents,  a little progress, actually alot, on the dove tail plane project.  Cutting the dove tails by hand was a challenge.  I did several practice runs with brass, learning lots each time, before cutting into the silver.   Ralph

Then went for it.  It peened well and fit snug.  It was filed and sanded smooth, but when it was buffed the dove tails virtually disappeared as the bright finish of the brass seemed to blend with the brillance of the polished silver.   At this scale the dovetail joints are almost invisible.  This is not the way to present it - not worth all the work if it doesn't show.   But as I heated it to solder in another part, the silver toned to black, and the joints became beautifully visible.  I'll work more on that knowing that polishes silver can be acid toned.

Then I worked a little on the wood parts. . . still not sure what style to go with.  In the mean time, I'll work to clean up the body.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »
Ralph

That is just fantastic. We are going to have to quit making suggestion for your next model. It's hard to imagine what you might go for next. With patience like yours it is clear that you do love the challenge that each new model brings. Thanks for continuing to let us watch over your shoulder.
:D  :thumbup:  :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2013, 04:16:19 PM »
Thanks again Don.  I'm not entirely pleased with the way that these first two progressed and turned out,    :(   so, as Mick predicted, my next project is likely to be another attempt.  I still don't have that good feel of mastery - just got by on guts and by chance I feel.  I need to make one from start to finsh with the feeling that I have all it takes all along the way, that I know what I'm doing, what to do next and why.  Then I will have earned it.    :beer:   Ralph

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2013, 03:15:00 AM »
I wrote about this guy earlier, and I think I have reason to do it again... NOT to detract your work, Ralph, to the contrary

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/my-miniatures-auction-274239/

Follow the link too, there are some good pic's there!

Kjelle

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2013, 06:06:44 PM »
Thanks Kjelle.  I am aware of his work and enjoyed viewing the links you shared again.  Something to strive for.   Ralph

My Dove tail planes as they turned out the first time around.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2013, 07:57:40 PM »
 Hi Ralph considering you had not even thought about doing this style and sounded like you were even doubting if you could manage to do the dove tails , I think you have made a top job of them  :bow: :bow:
 I assume it wont be your last dove tail plane either  :thumbup: When I first mentioned the idea I did think you had a mill Ralph so what you have managed is all the more impressive due to it all being hand work .

I look forward to the next project  :dremel:

cheers Mick.

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2013, 02:31:40 PM »
Mick, I must say you are really, really good! Keep it up, I'm just in awe of your work!

Kjelle

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2013, 12:33:20 PM »
Kjelle, if this was meant for me, Art Rafael  (AKA - Ralph - flyingtractors1), I appreciate it, though I'm sure that Mick also does good work.  Ralph

Anyway, Here's an example of my work at its worst.  I measured once, and I measured twice - - -  then I cut it all wrong.  I'm still having trouble wrapping my brain around this dove tail trick.  Will try again later.  Ralph

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2013, 02:00:45 PM »
Sorry Art, It was! Wrote in a bit of a hurry, didn't check as I usually does...

Kjelle

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2013, 07:16:33 PM »
After butchering several more pieces, I think that I've got it now. And I'm sure now that I could do it again but probably won't because it is just too difficult to do cleanly at this scale, although this one turned out just perfectly.  Still, I'm not really confident that I could convey the procedure in any coherant way.  Those dove tail joints are so unforgiving, and every little error is magnified.  Will just try to finish this model now that the hard part is done, but just don't feel up to it for a while.  Maybe a more quick gratification project before continuing work on this one.   Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2013, 11:09:47 AM »
Finally I have some acceptable results.  Ordinarily, after I build one model, I have no desire to build another copy, feeling that I have mastered the one - whatever it happens to be.  In this case with the dove tailed joints, I had no idea how the first one was done after it was finished.  So a second attempt was made only to resolve that I did not yet KNOW how it was done, though the results were "acceptable".  The need for a third attempt readily became apparent and was soon under way.  This time I took CAREFUL note and documented every step.  The final results are acceptable, and I now know that I can do it again, though decidedly probably won't. But I find that if the metals are brightly polished, the visible joints disappear.  A satin finish to the surfaces best shows the dove tail joint detail.    Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »
Well, I've managed to get a little something done this week - two little somethings.  My wife wore her pair of plane ear rings to an outing, and now I have orders for more -- and I mean Orders.   Ralph

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2013, 02:29:23 AM »
Wow, Ralph!  Orders!?  :bugeye:

Well done!  :clap: :clap:

Hope you make your fortune!  :thumbup:

David D

David.

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2013, 12:00:25 PM »
Yes,  my wife has ordered me to make a pair for her friend and a pair for her sister and . . . .   :whip:   No $ to be had, so it may take a while.   Ralph

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2013, 12:51:48 PM »
Aahhhhhh............

Orders, from On High:bugeye:

Sorry Ralph. I misunderstood.......  :palm:

:)

David D
David.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »
Hi Ralph , items looking very impressive as usual , almost enough to tempt me to get my ears pierced  :lol: , That is one problem with making quality nice items , you often get 'orders' .............I try not to let people see half of my things for this reason , I find people quite often think it takes half an hour to knock something like those ear ring up  :bugeye:

As most people on the forum will know its not quite as quick as that !!!!, Keep up the good work , Cheers Mick.

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2013, 07:58:50 PM »
 Thanks Mick. 
You are so right.  Most folks that are not invested in the craft just don't know and can't appreciate what it takes to create to specs in metal.  In jewelry art the part can look like anything (a metal splatter, etc,), and if you put a hook or broach pin on it it can pass as a "work of art".  But in tool making the product has to look like the intended piece, and it must work properly.  Now make it 1/4 scale and other critical elements come into play.  Like you stated, " As most people on the forum will know its not quite as quick as that !!!!, "  And that is why this forum is so vital.   Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2013, 01:47:10 PM »
A new "scrub plane" in progress.  Next comes the wood tote and knob.   Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2013, 01:01:52 PM »
This plane turned out nice with Ebony tote and knob, and it works beautifully.  Ralph

Offline micktoon

« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2013, 05:33:27 PM »
 Another quality bit of work Ralph  :bow: :bow: :thumbup: , again if your hand was not in the photo it would just look like a shot of the full size real thing  :thumbup:. What is next on the project list then ?? I bet you have something in mind.

Cheers Mick.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2013, 05:37:40 PM »
Oh, Ralph!  :bugeye:

That really does look the business! Well done!  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2013, 04:38:55 PM »
Thanks Mick.
Thanks David.

Yes, I've had my eye on this little cutie and just had to have one.   Ralph

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »
Ralph

I've run out of nice things to say about your work Ralph. I guess that means I have to start repeating myself. It is just unbelievable the way that you can make them at that small scale.   :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best