Author Topic: Miniature Tool Collection  (Read 105518 times)

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
Re: Miniature Tool Collection
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2013, 12:08:39 PM »
Just enviable  :drool:

Ver very well done  :clap: :clap: :clap:

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2013, 10:36:37 PM »
Working on a Gold model #4 plane now.  The casting turned out ok.  Now lots of work to make the finished model.   Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2013, 08:04:11 PM »
Some progress.   Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2013, 02:11:51 PM »
The gold #4 plane is finished, and it works very well.   Ralph

Offline philf

« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2013, 02:17:25 PM »
Ralph,

That's another absolutely stunning piece of work.  :clap: :bugeye:

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline micktoon

« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2013, 05:36:53 PM »
Hi Ralph , top clas as usual , its amazing how much better it looks with the final buffing compared to when it was on the graph paper.
 Whats the next challenge then ?

Cheers Mick.

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2013, 08:31:32 PM »
Thanks Phil.

Thanks Mick.

I do like to work in gold.  Wish I could do more, but . . .
Don't know what will be next.  These last ones were so challenging I may need to do something easier to recover from the intensity.  The gold #4 plane took a 2.0 oz shot and yielded a piece weighing in at 1.54oz.  Most of the remainder was recovered, but it was a highly anxious poar with $2000 + of molten metal to shoot.  I held my breath . . . , and all went well.  It was a perfect poar.  Doing the finish work was pure joy once the mold was broken open, and it became clear that the poar was a success.   But after that, nothing has caught my eye.  What could compare to that?  I couldn't get any higher, and now I'm floundering - looking for a cause.  Any ideas?

Ralph

Ralph

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2013, 02:29:20 AM »
What could compare to that? I couldn't get any higher.
Ralph

Ralph.

I've got to agree. Well done, just doesn't seem enough.   :clap: :clap:

I'm in awe.........  

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2013, 11:44:36 AM »
Ralph

Absolutelfy amazing bit of craftsman ship. You have set the bar high this time. Thanks so much for sharing this with the MadModder comunity.  :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

I don't know what to suggest for you as a next project. Take a bit of time to smell the roses, take a walk, take your sweet wife out to dinner (wearing her new ear rings of course) and I'm sure something will come to you when the time is right.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2013, 11:25:14 AM »
Thanks again, Don.  I appreciate your thoughts and the wisdom of your advise.

I really did shoot for the stars on this one and may have found the extrent of my reach,
but I grew immensely by the experience and am still not sure what the limits might be.

Ralph   

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2013, 02:08:40 PM »
Some reflections on the Gold and Silver # 4 planes.   Ralph

Different light

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2013, 02:43:02 PM »
Hi Ralph,
                More planes to add to the collection, great finishes you have achieved, I do think the Philips head screw looks out of place, I would change that for a normal type. I have been involved in antique horology for a long time, and wondered if you had thought of using watch or small clock makers knurling tools, which would better match your scale.  Small straight knurling wheels are quite easy to make.
                                                                Cheers David

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2013, 06:14:37 PM »
Thanks, Dave.

David,  Thanks for your thoughts.  I agree about the phillips head looking out of place and have remedied that by using a flush pin through both sides that is snug but can be punched out if needed.  I am using a small Swiss jewelers knurling tool, but don't have a straight knurling wheel and am using the smallest wheels I have found.  Any idea where I can find the likes of those you recommend?    Ralph

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2013, 05:36:57 AM »
Hi Ralph
               Pleased you have removed the Philips head screw. I have a couple of maybe suppliers :- Cousins Clock Materials (Tools section), and Meadows & Passmore Clock Materials, that I have used. These small knurling tools are difficult to source. I thought the wheel from a cigaret lighter might be hard enough to knurl brass. The other option would be to make your own from silver steel and harden and temper it. What are the diameters of your adjusting screws?

Cheers  David

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »
Hi David,

Thanks again for your insight.  Thought I'd share pics of the knurles that I am using for your edification.

on 1/4 " graph paper along with a cig lighter wheel: 

on my thumb nail: 

I just can't imagine a knurling wheel any smaller.  If there is such creature, I do, indeed, need it.  I'll search the sites you recommended.

Might it be that the difficulty here is that the #4 plane is so small in 1/4 scale at 2 1/4 inches (57 mm)
that the knurling, tiny as it is, appears disproportionately large, or does it ? 
Ralph

Offline micktoon

« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2013, 07:24:04 PM »
Hi Ralph , them knurls are even smaler than I thought they would be ! I know this would be a tough one to try but have you ever thought of doing one of the planes with the steel sole plate and the brass sides dovetailed ? Karl Holtey has a good website showing them getting made in full size, they look class when done so would look even better in miniture  :drool: Food for thought anyway Ralph  :coffee:

Cheers Mick.

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2013, 08:38:03 PM »
Well Mick,  I have thought about building one of those infill planes with a silver sole and brass sides dovetailed, etc.  They must be a trick to build in full scale and more so in miniature, but I am moved to try building one, though I don't know the first thing about that type of construction - just what I've seen on the net, and I'm just not sure where to start.   :loco:   Perhaps I should give it more thought.  Ralph

Offline micktoon

« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2013, 04:19:49 AM »
Hi Ralph,
             here is a link to Karl Holteys blog on his site, I dont know if you have looked at his site before but it has excellent photos and info on all his A1 quality planes  :bow: :bow:, I am sure he would be interested in seeing photos your collection Ralph, he seems like a decent fella as I have seen him commenting on others work and giving advice on the British Blades knife forum. This link shound take you to a series of photos of him doing the brass dovetails  :drool: I am more than sure you could do them Ralph, I think they might be easier to do in small scale too maybe ? Here is the link http://www.holteyplanes.com/blog/2010/02/07/window-to-my-workshop-38/#more-946
   I think you will enjoy looking through his site, I have spent hours looking at it and I am not really into planes, if you like engineering and quality his work looks second to none so well worth a look  :drool: :drool:.
  He has some other interesting ideas of riveting the steel and brass together too so might give you some other ideas Ralph  :thumbup:, This link should solve the mystery of the dovetails. As it happens I met an old guy from my local area years back making planes in his shed doing these type of dove tails perfect without much equipment, just a mill and hand finishing.
  Keep up the good work Ralph I look forward to seeing your next project  :thumbup:.

Cheers Mick.

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2013, 06:56:06 PM »
Hi again Mick,

Thanks for the idea and the links.  Wow!  I could never?. . .   But will give it a good try.  I really do think that building full scale would be easier - the tolerances are greater and more forgiving.  Holtey planes and his build process are indeed most impressive.  I don't have fine precission equipment - no mill, only jeweler's saws and files, but they have served me well in the past, and I've yet to find the limit of their utility.

Any way, the product is now well in mind (I can visualize it) and experimentation has begun.  I've already learned several ways not to do it.  Cutting those joints is tricky; they tend to inverse on me.  It is further complicated by the fact that the joints are on different planes (perpendicular) and dovetailed.  I am going to use silver and brass for contrast and to keep the jewelry motif that has become the trademark of my miniatures.  Don't yet know what to use for the wood components.  Progress may be slow on this one.   Ralph

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2013, 07:12:12 PM »
Ralph

I have faith in you that you will do an excellent job on this as you have on all of the others. I'm going to be sitting here watching as you gently massage all those bits of brass and silver and other bits into another excellent plane.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »
Thanks for the faith in me, Don.  I do appreciate your encouragement.  I am going to learn a lot from this one - already have.   I hope to have good results, but I'll post whatever results I get.  Shucks!  Now it has to be presentable (perfect).   Ralph

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2013, 07:12:53 AM »
I am absolutely amazed at your skill and patience.  And they work too :bow:

Good luck with the dovetailed jobby.  As Don says, we have faith in you, you may not feel so confident now but it'll be right :thumbup:

Ross
Procrastination; now is that an art or a craft skill?

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2013, 04:21:15 PM »
Thanks Ross.

With all the encouragement given me, my confidence grows.  A couple dry runs at it also help.  I've cut a few brass pieces and even experimented with popsicle sticks and am less hesitent to cut into the silver stock, but the darn dovetails still have a way of "inversing" on me.  A little more planning is still in order.   Ralph

Offline micktoon

« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2013, 06:07:17 PM »
Hi Ralph ........................... I just knew you would have a go at one  :dremel:  :clap:  and I also know you will keep going until you have a lovely dovetailed plane sitting there in your hand  :thumbup:  ....and I know you will do it too  :med:
  I am glad you are having a go at one Ralph  but I must admit I had thought you had a mill which would make cutting the dove tails easier but then again if you have made all the previous works of art without a mill, why would you need one now anyway !
  I am so confident you will do it I will even predict it wont be your last Dove tail plane and you will want to try several styles of plane with dove tails, once you have cracked the way to do them that works for you  :bow: I think the silver and brass will look spot on too.
 Only one thing Ralph , remember you do need to sleep and eat if you are to finish the mission  :lol:

Keep up the good work   :beer: Cheers Mick.

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2013, 07:57:53 PM »
Hi Gents,
With all you guys rooting for me, I jumped right in (after dinner, Mick), then after braekfast.  I took a break and had lunch.  Then I proceeded to ponder the situation and took some serious steps.  I decided to build a mock all brass model - not only because I felt insecure about cutting into the silver nor because I was afraid to mess up the silver, but also because I thought that a little practice on less valuable metal would do me good.  Had good results, after dinner I might just jump right in and cut the silver sole.  Or I might just wait a while to cut the silver.

This is where I am so far.

Ralph

My wife always makes me wash my hands before taking pictures, but she's not here now, sssooo I didn't.  Probably will have to before dinner this time.

The side and sole really are dovetailed, but it peened so perfectly well and buffed out so nicely that the zig zag detail lines disappeared, so I highlighted some in pencil.  Can'y wait to see the silver / brass contrast on a buffed and polished version.

Had to try the wood work also.  Wanted Ebony, but don't have any so went with  African Blackwood.  That stuff cuts hard and carves beautifully.   Ralph