Author Topic: Cleaning Soldering Flux Spillage?  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Pete W.

Cleaning Soldering Flux Spillage?
« on: September 18, 2013, 07:41:38 AM »
Hi there, all,

I have a couple of steel cupboards with adjustable shelves.  The shelves are like inverted shallow trays and each one rests on four small steel disks with a tab that hooks into slots in the cupboard wall.

One of these cupboards was previously used in a laboratory for storage of lab chemicals, including solder flux.  I don't know exactly which type but it was most probably a liquid flux such as Tricene.  I discarded one shelf because it had some spilled flux but, after accidentally damaging another shelf, I'd like to rehabilitate the flux contaminated one.  It would be nice to eradicate all traces of the flux and achieve a surface condition that will support being repainted.

I have heard it said that solder fluxes, as a class, are toxic/carcinogenic which limits my options.

I have a propane torch but I don't like the idea of using that to burn off the flux for fear of distorting the shelf.

Please can anyone suggest how I can rescue this shelf? 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Cleaning Soldering Flux Spillage?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:38:55 AM »
Pete is there any way that you can find out from the people you got it from, just what that substance is?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 09:19:52 AM »
Pete,

Can you not just scrape it off with a 'razor blade' type window scraper intended for removing 'over paint' such as this one, then rub down and re-paint?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 09:38:07 AM »
Solder flux can be removed using celly thinners or acetone which is a little more agressive........(it may even aid removal of the paint?)

If you got this route, do it outside and away from naked flames and wear some ppe......
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors