Author Topic: NAMES Show 2013 wrap up  (Read 3244 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
NAMES Show 2013 wrap up
« on: April 22, 2013, 05:50:53 AM »
The show is a wrap, for another year. Attendance was up on both days for exhibitors and the people through the doors. Weather was good but on the chilly side Saturday.
The sun was shinny and with no threat of bad weather on Sunday afternoon most exhibitors stayed closer to the end of the show. Steve's engine was a great hit.

Most of the vendors said that their business up some and better than last year. And the exhibitors, other than a couple seemed to enjoy themselves and hand a great time talking to the people about they work.

We tore down the set up and the doors closed on the trailers @ 7:06pm last night. a new record for getting out of the arena. Thanks to all the people that helped with the set up and tear down. And hope everyone had a safe drive home.

Can't wait for Errol's photo's and he was a happy camper as he one one of the door prizes!

Will be posting the flyer for the 2014 show back at the Yack later in the day.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline stevehuckss396

Re: NAMES Show 2013 wrap up
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »
Well another NAMES show in the can. Both days were busy as heck. The time flew by. The table was packed with people all day it seemed like. I had a million questions to answer about the V8 and the Peewee as usual but the thing that most people seemed to have an interest in was the compressor engine. That thing was a huge hit.

Saturday was alot of fun. Rick was doing his seminar on how to build a furnace out of a 5 gallon bucket. After about an hour he sent down a note with my wife to get the pattern rammed up so he could pour some blower housings. I cleared a spot behind my table and Don started to prepare the mold right there on the floor. Don is 60ish years old, it was a beautiful thing. He gets the sand all rammed up and decides the sprue is too small so he summons someone to bring him a 12 inch piece of 1" thin walled tubing. He starts to push the tubing through the sand to increase the size of the hole and blows the sand right out of box. Now were cooking. That mess gets fixed and we are finally ready to go. About 3 oclock we all moved outside and about 75 people watched me pour the petrobond pattern and a real cool lost foam pattern that looked like deer antlers. Both castings looked pretty good. I tended to the furnace and did the actual pour while Rick was talking about how to do the pouring, informing the crowd what I was doing and talking about the safe ways to go about this stuff. That was the highlight of the day.

Sunday was a little more layed back. The crowd was not as heavy but it was steady all day. I don't know about attendance but it seemed to be up from last year. Again the day just seemed to fly by. There were lots of people right up to the end. The show ended at 4:00 and I did'nt start packing up until 3:45.

All told, I had a blast!

Offline Weston Bye

• Grand Blanc, Michigan
Re: NAMES Show 2013 wrap up
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:57:19 AM »
I can attest that Steve pretty well summed up the crowd, as I was just a few tables down from him with my Magnetic Clock and some other projects.  I was astonished at the reception of my latest project, a simple generator.  Seems that it caught the eye of a lot of the model engine builders that have been looking for a generator that was easy to build and could be easily driven with a small engine.  I had written it up in the latest issue of Digital Machinist and NAMES was the first opportunity I had to show it.

The crowd was great, with plenty of questions and compliments - I had a thoroughly enjoyable time.
Weston Bye
Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts.
author of The Mechatronist column
Digital Machinist magazine