Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Fixing up an old milling vice

<< < (3/7) > >>

sparky961:

--- Quote from: awemawson on April 16, 2013, 03:13:22 AM ---Leaving in citric acid solution overnight will give the same result without all the wires. I used to use the electrolytic method which works very well but is dangerous indoors as it liberates hydrogen and oxygen in an exactly explosive ratio. Since I discovered the effectiveness of citric acid I've gone over to using that.

--- End quote ---

In what form do you find the citric acid, and form where?

awemawson:
I buy it by the 5kg bag of powder on eBay - not expensive and it goes a long way. Dilution not critical - say about 100 grammes in a 2 gallon bucket. Better slightly warm but it just speeds things up rather than being essential.

vtsteam:
Lots of ways to skin a cat -- I like the washing soda electrolytic method having just tried it. I've also seen sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) used, though it's more expensive, it's even more widely available and still cheap enough.

What I used, was sodium carbonate -- available everywhere at supermarkets --used for clothes washing, and the cost was 15 cents for this tub full of solution -- which can be re-used. In fact I have a big old dividing head that needs to be restored, and that will be next in the tub, plus a bunch of other rusted odds and ends. But chemical methods like citric acid seem good, too, if you have it. Whatever works!

re. explosive gasses and safety -- Charging an auto battery (with the same charger) also liberates oxygen and hydrogen, and in this case I was drawing less than an amp, so the gas evolution (charge) rate was low compared to an open lead acid cell.

I kept the shed door open, and the tub in the open doorway itself, so essentially it was outdoors. (the shed used is unfortunately "ventilated" in the extreme, even when closed!) I also didn't leave it unattended or over night. I checked it periodically, had it on a 2 hour timer on the charger, and that's how long it took to clean up. I always turn off a charger before removing battery clamps from a battery -- learned that one when I was 19 the hard way -- and I did the same for this.

Just including the above in case someone else decides to try it as well.

vtsteam:
btw. I remember there used to be an old rumor that Coca Cola would clean the rust off of tools. Never tried it. But I wonder now if it was the citric acid in the soft drink that was the "active" ingredient!

Stilldrillin:
I've been using vinegar recently. Light rust appears almost immediately.......  :palm:

Just ordered one of these.....    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270958120373?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Hope it's the right stuff!   :scratch:

David D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version