Author Topic: Ideas wanted, clutch or something?  (Read 3687 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Ideas wanted, clutch or something?
« on: March 05, 2009, 03:10:16 AM »
My lathe with a 2 HP motor trips the circuit breaker when starting under load.  Of course one would never really start a lathe under load but when starting in the higher speeds the motor has to spin all to cogs in the thick oil which puts more load then starting in a lower speed and in my case is enough to trip the breaker.

Besides, if it trips the breaker the motor is drawing a fierce current and one must remember that it was made in China!

So, how to resolve this?  Slow blow circuit breaker (that would do it but I dont want to compromise safety in the house wiring if I can avoid it),  constant voltage transformer or other surge stabiliser, maybe but I wouldnt know where to find one.  That leaves some sort of clutch so that the motor can get up to revs before starting to turn the lathe.

A clutch comprised of a longer belt with a jockey wheel tensioner attached to a handle would be a practical project  but before I embark on that I am sure there must be a preferred solution in 'the trade'?

[The old farm milk seperator used to have a slip clutch for starting as there was no way the 1/4 HP motor could spin the centifuge up to 9000rpm before the start winding burned out.]
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Ideas wanted, clutch or something?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 03:21:35 AM »
Fit a 3 phase motor with VFD, these can be programmed for a soft start.

As regards high speed when cold you will just have to let it warm up. Our old Harrison with 2 speed motor and on 3 phase always slipped the clutch if you tried high speed from cold.

JS
John Stevenson

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 03:58:41 PM »
JS,  a VFD would be nice but out of budget right now.  I guess it will be the jockey wheel clutch or slow speed only. :(

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
John,

Fill your gearboxes with a 32 grade hydraulic fluid (a standard grade), you will find the head turns a lot freer. Mine used to sometimes have difficulty spinning up from cold when a high speed ratio was pre selected, changing the oil cured it.

Bogs

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 04:38:50 PM »
Good point John, it is about due for its first oil change.