Author Topic: M & W Automatic Centre Punch - Repair?  (Read 8878 times)

Offline Pete W.

M & W Automatic Centre Punch - Repair?
« on: August 18, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
Hi there, all,

I have a poorly Moore & Wright automatic centre punch, if I adjust the punch pressure from minimum to maximum it auto-punches OK the first time and then goes all passive.

I've partially dismantled it but haven't found anything obviously wrong.   :bang: 

Before I go for broke and take it completely to pieces, PLEASE is there anyone out there who is familiar with the internals of the beast and can give me any pointers?

A photo or exploded diagram would be nice.

Best regards,

Pete W.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline krv3000

Re: M & W Automatic Centre Punch - Repair?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 06:11:28 PM »
hi well i have one of them and it did the same thing as your has dun when i gave it a bit oil i striped it all out gave it a bathe in sum pant thiners then i put it back together with sum white grees worked well ever since

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 05:51:48 AM »
Hope this helps.  I know the little baseball bat part has to be the right way around otherwise it won't work. 

Sometimes mine does what you describe and if I give it a light tap against the bench it is fine.  Mine probably needs a lube but you know how it goes...

Offline holmes_ca

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 01:45:15 AM »
Hi there, all,

I have a poorly Moore & Wright automatic centre punch, if I adjust the punch pressure from minimum to maximum it auto-punches OK the first time and then goes all passive.

I've partially dismantled it but haven't found anything obviously wrong.   :bang: 

Before I go for broke and take it completely to pieces, PLEASE is there anyone out there who is familiar with the internals of the beast and can give me any pointers?

A photo or exploded diagram would be nice.

Best regards,

Pete W.

Pete, I have the heavy duty M&W the one with the large ball on the top handle, I can take a photo tomorrow and forward showing the internal parts and how they are arranged in stages, I must say mine works perfectly, I use it all the time,

Let me know if interested,

......Edmund......Alberta......Canada

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 03:48:40 AM »
Pete, mine went all limp on me as well a few years ago  :(

Nothing at all looked wrong with it, but as I had spare points for it I changed it out and it cured the fault. There must be some rounding on the back groove of the point, but for the life of me I couldn't see what. Certainly when I put the old one back the symptoms returned.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 04:22:51 PM »
Hi there, Edmund and Andrew,

Thank you for your posts.

Edmund:  I'd be very grateful to see some photos of your centre punch in its dis-assembled state but I hope that it'll still be working once you've re-assembled it!  I'd hate to have it on my conscience if it didn't survive the experience!! 

Andrew:  I'll take mine to pieces again and examine the back end of the point.

I bought this centre punch as a back-up but my main one seems to have gone into hiding!   :bang:   :bang:   :bang: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!