Author Topic: Chinese Levels  (Read 12547 times)

Offline hopefuldave

Re: Chinese Levels
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 12:10:13 PM »
Pete W. wrote:

Thank you for the photos and accompanying explanation.  The CTS logo is of the company Cooke, Troughton & Simms.  They, along with Baker, eventually became the firm of Vickers Instruments.  CTS have a long history in instrument design and manufacture (described in a book whose title I forget - I'll dig it out of the bookcase and post details when I next log on).
------------------

The (almost identical, branded "Vickers") clinometer I have was passed on from my grandfather, a toolmaker who spent WW2 calibrating artillery sights, test-firing the guns and such - if I remember correctly it's for the water-cooled Vickers .303 machine gun[1], for setting the range (elevation / range tables were supplied with the guns) when set up in a machine-gun nest. I've used mine a lot - although my lathe's reasonably rigid on its base (1/2 a ton of cast iron box...), a lot aren't and I've lost count of the number of lathes that I've visited because they "always cut a taper" until properly levelled! By careful interpolation, it's possible to get to within a few *seconds* of angle using the clino on the cross-slide - this works out as small fractions of an inch at 100 yards.. a minute of angle (considered to be "target grade" in the shooting world) comes out to near as dammit 1" at 100 yards...

Dave H. (the other one)

[1] There's a good website somewhere showing the Vickers and its accessories - might tell you exactly what you've got!
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Offline haoxiaoquan

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 09:27:01 PM »
HI     
i am  chinese   .  i  want tell you  , The industrial products made in China.Quality is very poor.
They only put the money in the first place.
I use of precision measuring tool as far as possible not to buy Chinese brand,

But to buy back a look carefully,"made in china"............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :zap:

Offline Davo J

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2013, 10:11:03 PM »
Hi haoxiaoquan
Do you go to any of the factories? It would be good to see some of there production methods.

Dave