Author Topic: Should have gone to...you know who.  (Read 5782 times)

Offline DavidA

Should have gone to...you know who.
« on: May 21, 2013, 02:48:40 PM »
My shed is divided up into two sections. running across the door way between the two is a length if twin and earth cable that supplies power to one of the light fittings.
Anyway,  the cable had come detached and I was bumping my head across it every time I walked through the doorway. Not painful,  but irritating.  So today when I noticed a couple of cable clips amongst some stuff I was looking through it seemed a good   time to fix up the cable permanently.
 It was in an awkward spot to reach, so I had to squint a bit to line up the pin on the clip.  'About there' says I (to myself), and I whacked in the pin.
 All the lights went out.  My wife hollered something abusive as her on-line bingo disappeared. Fortunately the cable was a plug -in job,  so I unplugged it and went into the house and reset the trip.
Further examination found the pin driven straight through the cable and neatly connecting the live to the earth.  All hail the inventor of the Earth Leakage Contact Breaker.
Next time I will put on my specs.

Dave.

Rob.Wilson

Re: Should have gone to...you know who.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 02:58:58 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
My wife hollered something abusive as her on-line bingo disappeared.
priceless  :lol: :lol: :lol: been there  :palm:

Pleased you were not hurt Dave  :zap:

Rob

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 04:07:54 PM »
Clumsy bastard
John Stevenson

Offline DavidA

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 04:18:25 PM »
John,

...Clumsy bastard...

Just what I thought.

Strangely,  there was no indication that the pin had shorted the wires. When I pealed of the outer insulation to examine things, the pin was unmarked. Also no burnt out area where the short had occurred. Must be a very fast ELCB.

Dave.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 11:43:12 PM »
Yep they are very fast. Saved you getting hurt  :doh: Cant really say Im immune to electrical oopsies either at odd times though I tend to avoid electrics mostly now daysI see John is as diplomatic as usual  :lol:
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it