Author Topic: Second Hand Grinding Wheels - Usable or Junk?  (Read 14360 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Second Hand Grinding Wheels - Usable or Junk?
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 08:09:57 AM »
No one has mentioned RPM and stone diameter in the Sparey discussion. Seems to me that a piece of broken grinding wheel re-cut to a half size wheel and bored (assuming an acceptable method of cutting and truing) if run on the same motor and at the same RPM as the original wheel ought to be running at that same fraction of the peripheral speed.

Likewise a full sized used wheel (if tapped and rung properly -- ie checked for cracks) might be re-purposed to a horizontal wheel at low RPM for putting a final unburned honed edge on woodworking tools, chisels, plane irons, knives, axes, etc with a fair degree of confidence. If vitrified I don't see why they couldn't be used as water stones that way, as well.

Back when I was a boatbuilder I used a wheel on a hand operated grinder for sharpening chisels and plane irons -- this grinder was geared and had a hand crank. I'm sure I didn't manage anything remotely close to 3450 RPM with them -- nor would I have wanted to, since getting a fine edge on high carbon steel requires a slow speed to avoid burning. A fine stone should be run at low speed for this kind of work, and our modern frenetic desire to shoot sparks all over the workshop every time we run something into the now standard high speed grinder isn't the only way to sharpen, nor even the best, fine as it is for removing metal in a hurry.

We seem to eschew hand work nowadays as tedious, and time consuming. But I often find it faster and easier to use my hand stones to do many small jobs than my powered grinder sitting 3 feet away.

I also find it more relaxing and satisfying than switching on that messy, dangerous, and loud machine, donning eye gear, standing away from it for a minute, and then sending sparks and abrasive into hidden corners of the workshop while breathing emery dust. Don't get me wrong -- I wouldn't be without it, but it isn't the tool of choice I go to for many jobs.

I sometimes read of people putting sandpaper onto a surface plate to "lap" some piece of work. I would suggest that they might consider re-purposing a perfectly good fast cutting open abrasive in wheel form even if they didn't feel comfortable mounting it on their grinder, and saving the surface plate for testing and marking out parts. I think you will be very surprised at the results of using old wheels as bench stones -- and they are much larger than any easily available true bench stone.

btw. If nervous about others some day using your re-purposed bench stone, just glue it to a board, or plug the hole with a glued in dowel, or better yet, a spoonfull of portland cement and sand, or mark it "Danger Cracked" (even if it isn't) or use some of another hundred or so creative ways I'm sure you can think of for allaying those fears.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 09:21:17 AM »
Stuart,

:ddb: So when you took off the wheel, presumably you couldn't remount it as you didn't know it's history  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

lordedmond

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2013, 10:11:28 AM »
of course we did the instructor told us ,and it did not leave the room  :D :doh:

the trouble with those sort of courses to comply with the insurance they scare you to death especially when you see the can tents of the grinding tray the cuttings are just like lathe turnings in miniature

Stuart

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »
The only things I use the grinder for are deburring the VERY lazy way  :ddb:,  removing marks where a bar has spun in the chuck  :Doh: or occasionally sharpening a screwdriver tip , if it's too fat to fit in the screw I'm trying to undo...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 06:02:35 PM »
of course we did the instructor told us ,and it did not leave the room  :D :doh:

the trouble with those sort of courses to comply with the insurance they scare you to death especially when you see the can tents of the grinding tray the cuttings are just like lathe turnings in miniature

Stuart

Stuart

I have been trying to follow this thread along and was doing fine up until I got to can tents . I don't know if this is something new that you find around grinders or ???  :Doh: :Doh:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2013, 08:44:04 PM »
contents?
Steve

lordedmond

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 03:43:14 AM »

Stuart

Stuart

I have been trying to follow this thread along and was doing fine up until I got to can tents . I don't know if this is something new that you find around grinders or ???  :Doh: :Doh:

Don

Sorry Don
 I meant contents   I am dyslexic and the spell checker did not catch it, the form it takes for me is that I type the word backwards or I am completely blank on the spelling evan for two letter words
sorry for the mixup It makes me feel bad because at school they did not know of the problem ( 1957 era ) and the used the cane for bad spelling

Stuart

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 07:51:34 AM »
We all misspell (sp?) and spell check will accept all kinds of properly spelled errors. Just sometimes it takes a little while to figure some words out!
Steve

Offline mechman48

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2013, 09:13:43 AM »
Conventional wisdom with a grinding wheel is if you are not sure don't use it.

However if it was for my own use, I would carefully examine the wheel, reject any that have chipped rims or mounting holes, or signs of water or oil soaking unevenly (makes 'em unbalanced). Stick my finger in the hole and 'ring' it with a wooden screwdriver handle to check for cracks, and if it rings true mount it. Make sure the paper washers are sound and the dished washers are true, then start it up while standing to one side 'just in case'. Stop and start it a few times, and if still ok dress it and use it.

I have taught apprentices over a number of years & have always taught replace with new, known, & tested wheels,  also followed the above .. for my own use! if in doubt.. smash it. Another point to note that I taught ...' the spindle speed should never exceed the wheel speed'... & run the machine for at least a minute once the wheel has been mounted whilst standing off to one side.

George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2013, 02:03:30 PM »
Sorry Don
 I meant contents   I am dyslexic and the spell checker did not catch it, the form it takes for me is that I type the word backwards or I am completely blank on the spelling evan for two letter words
sorry for the mixup It makes me feel bad because at school they did not know of the problem ( 1957 era ) and the used the cane for bad spelling

Stuart

Hi Stuart

First off, I apologize for making the remark that I made. I was unaware that you are dyslexic but that is no excuse on my part. I too had/have trouble spelling and at school (1952 era) I spent many a recess studying my spelling while the other kids played. I managed to get the cane for other things though so I know what it feels like.

I find that if I preview the message and read it in preview mode that it helps to catch some of the things that were not as I intended. While this helps to cut down on errors some what there will always be the occasional one that slips through.  :D :D

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

lordedmond

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 02:38:04 PM »
Its OK Don
After all its my problem , sometimes it just catches me ( bad memories )

Stuart