Author Topic: Second Hand Grinding Wheels - Usable or Junk?  (Read 14357 times)

Offline Pete W.

Second Hand Grinding Wheels - Usable or Junk?
« on: March 17, 2013, 11:38:52 AM »
Hi there, all,

I've got a cardboard box full of grinding wheels in my workshop.

Two of them are green grit wheels that I bought from K.R.Whiston many years ago - this post isn't about them.

I can't remember when or where I acquired the others, they weren't new.  I've stored and transported (three house moves) them carefully.

:worthless:

I know, I'd have included a photo or two in this post but the ferry to the workshop doesn't run on Sundays!  Maybe tomorrow.

I remember that at least one of these wheels is white and about ten inches diameter,  too big for an amateur's bench grinder so presumably from a surface grinder?

Here's my question -  should I take the ultra cautious approach and junk them and, if so, how?  Or can I, with a clear conscience, pass them on for someone else to use?

I'm looking over my shoulder at the spectre of a bursting wheel, I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone.  On the other hand, how likely is that?  I guess that the makers test newly manufactured wheels by giving them a high speed run with a suitable guard but that must be of fairly short duration.

What do fellow Modders think?
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Second Hand Grinding Wheels - Usable or Junk?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 12:57:09 PM »
Conventional wisdom with a grinding wheel is if you are not sure don't use it.

However if it was for my own use, I would carefully examine the wheel, reject any that have chipped rims or mounting holes, or signs of water or oil soaking unevenly (makes 'em unbalanced). Stick my finger in the hole and 'ring' it with a wooden screwdriver handle to check for cracks, and if it rings true mount it. Make sure the paper washers are sound and the dished washers are true, then start it up while standing to one side 'just in case'. Stop and start it a few times, and if still ok dress it and use it.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 03:48:27 AM »

You referred to 'Seen my Cat' Mr Whiston and this gives some indication of age ( of me as well).  As some of these wheels will be resin bonded, I question just how those modified resins have stood the test of time.

Safer to dump them - and get something safer and correct for your  future grinding needs.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 06:12:19 AM »
As a scrap collecting hoarder of all things i can say i wouldnt use old grinding wheels.. they can explode in my face.. and i kinda like my face.. put them in a dumpster.
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline machineshed

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 09:12:04 AM »
Chuck them away!

I've seen a wheel "burst", not nice!!!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »
Can they be used for something else? Like a stationary sharpening  stone or hone or even a slip? Seems a shame to throw away good abrasives.

Break them into usable pieces with a masonry chisel. Give them away as stones then, or use them.

Probably a good idea to break them up anyway if you throw them into a dumpster.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Ronkh

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 04:24:03 PM »
I have been grinding for a living for over 40 years.

Please do me a favour and break them up. Use a hammer, mallet, the floor. Anything, just break them up!!!!
I have never used a second-hand grinding wheel in all my working life but I have seen a few accidents with brand new ones and they were not pretty!
Looking at your post , you seem to know that by using old wheels that it is very dodgy and also that you are not sure of the correct way to go.
If you give away or use these wheels then all I will only say that the consequences rest on your shoulders. Binning them is the correct way to go.
The link below shows the machine that I now use where both ext wheels measure up at 20" dia. (And I still don't trust the bl**dy thing but I do respect it and the wheels)! They run at 50 metres per second. Think of what could happen if one of these things let go.
I have also used internal grinding wheels to a dia of 6" plus.
To this day I do not trust a grinding wheel whether brand new or if used by my self for a second time. My life is to precious and I like to think that those around me think the same!
I have used so many different grinding machines during my time and they are still scary yet I STILL respect them. I also respect that that thing that goes spinning at a very high of knots is something not to be treated lightly.

Bin them!!!

Many kind regards,

Ron.

http://www.adgrind.com/Studer/S31/s31.htm
Just me!

Offline Ronkh

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 04:49:07 PM »
The above is not meant to apply to just these big(ish) bug*ers  or the ones that I use but to ALL grinding machines. Bench grinders/off hand grinders, etc whether it be from a hand tool sharpening to buffing.
Just take care when using them and look after the wheels.

Kind regards,

Ron.
Just me!

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 08:34:52 AM »
Hi there, all,

I have pondered all the advice you've given me.  I agree and accept that a grinding wheel failure is extremely dangerous but it seems to me that some of the replies to my original post err too much on the side of caution.

So I'd welcome some more discussion of this topic, i.e. grinding wheel safety (NOT geared specifically to my wheels of unknown history!).

My sticking point is this: if we apply the 'precautionary principle', the grinding wheel that was OK yesterday might have suffered some deterioration while the grinder has been switched off overnight!  So, to be safe, we ought to remove and destroy it and fit a new one.  But then, how do we know that the new wheel hasn't suffered some invisible damage in transit or storage?  The grinding wheel manufacturers might love such a scenario but life as a surface or cylindrical or T&C or just plain off-hand grinder user would be impossible.

I admit that this argument is sort of a 'reductio ad absurdam' but I'm trying to locate the right path here.

Having defined the situation for a wheel that hasn't been removed from its spindle, the question then arises: what about a wheel that worked OK but has, for some reason (e.g. to temporarily substitute a wheel of a different grade), been removed from its spindle - is that wheel automatically skip fodder?

If we then consider wheels that were OK when last used but have been out of use for an appreciable time, what determines their usability?  (Fergus mentioned deterioration of resin bonded wheels - do they really have a shelf life?)

No way do I want to put myself or others into danger but I'm not convinced that the discussion so far has got the use/reject line in the right place. :scratch:   :scratch:   :scratch:

Further considered comments are invited.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 05:56:15 PM »
I've been using a couple of old grinding wheels of mine -- one coarse and one fine -- as stationary stones flat on the workbench. Thus, going against BOTH the good advice not to use old grinding wheels AND not to use the side of a wheel.

I'm very happy with the results. They will strip off mill scale, take down steel, and even put a fair polish on it.

As for the argument that someone else might get hurt trying to use them -- they'd have to steal them, then ignore conventional good advice, and then have the bad luck that the wheels were in fact bad, which I doubt. In such a case we must imagine that Fate has intervened.
Steve

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 03:28:18 AM »
haha.. fate punishes thieves..  :lol:
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 08:05:55 PM »
I think that for safety sake you should know the history of anything like that I would retire them. Besides they are not a big ticket item.

Offline ParCan

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 04:05:02 PM »
Just Bin Them

It's not as if a replacement costs much.

IF a wheel does explode it makes a lot of mess of anything in the way, including YOU.

It's just not worth it.
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert....

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 05:50:26 PM »
There is an interesting article on Resinoid wheels whose shelf life is 2 years.

Your own shelf life might be somewhat shorter :bang:

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 06:33:29 PM »
I've yet to see a grinding wheel lying stationary on top of a bench explode. Laying a piece of metal on top of it and rubbing it until shiny also doesn't seem to cause a fire or other disaster.

I also have a couple chainsaws in the barn. They can cut an arm off in an instant, and are filled with an explosive fuel, and an electronic sparking device.

Nearby are some slots in the wall that contain wires with 120 volts potential. There are brazing rods also nearby, which if stuck into those slots would electrocute you, or if shorted burn the place down.

Should I talk about the hay fork with it's impaling 12 inch tines, the axe, or any of a hundred other things that could kill or maim or burn or blow up that I use?

The two round sharpening stones on my bench seem rather tame by comparison.

I feel safe because I use something called knowledge and another thing called discretion and finally something called judgement.
Steve

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 06:36:36 PM »
I've yet to see a grinding wheel lying stationary on top of a bench explode. Laying a piece of metal on top of it and rubbing it until shiny also doesn't seem to cause a fire or other disaster.

I also have a couple chainsaws in the barn. They can cut an arm off in an instant, and are filled with an explosive fuel, and an electronic sparking device.

Nearby are some slots in the wall that contain wires with 120 volts potential. There are brazing rods also nearby, which if stuck into those slots would electrocute you, or if shorted burn the place down.

Should I talk about the hay fork with it's impaling 12 inch tines, the axe, or any of a hundred other things that could kill or maim or burn or blow up that I use?

The two round sharpening stones on my bench seem rather tame by comparison.

I feel safe because I use something called knowledge and another thing called discretion and finally something called judgement.

Don't forget the eye protection
Otherwise spot on John

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 03:15:54 AM »
Hi there, all,

Thank you to all who have replied to this thread.

Tom and ParCan:  were your replies to my original post or to my post dated 24th August?  I think the debate about grinding wheels of unknown history has reached a conclusion - either adopt VT's non-spinning modus operandi or junk them.  However, nobody seems to have picked up the points in my 24th August post concerning wheels that are either 'new, old stock' or that have been temporarily removed from the grinder for some reason.

There is an interesting article on Resinoid wheels whose shelf life is 2 years.

SNIP

Fergus, I'd like to read that article - please can you give us a link or quote a reference?

As it happens, the wheels that I bought from K.R.Whiston all those years ago (I think it was 1989-ish) are, as I already wrote, green grit and I think they're vitreous bond, not resinoid.  They are still in their original packing.

VT: I get the impression that, like me, you think perhaps that the 'precautionary principle' is sometimes taken too far?
Best regards,

Pete W.

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 03:49:50 AM »
For wheels temporarily removed, then re-mounted - I would take the following approach.

If done carefully/properly, stored safely, and not dropped whilst off the machine the wheel should be OK.

It is possible that wheel could get damaged whilst removing or re-mounting, or it might be imbalanced after re-mounting - either increasing chances of failure.

So at switch on of grinder after re-mounting stone I'd be especially cautious (just as I would for a new wheel of any origin).  I'd stand well to one side and let the grinder run for a while before starting to use it.

You can't totally eliminate risk - what you can do is

1. Assume any grindstone may fail (think about where you stand, minimise how much of you is in the potential 'flight path').

2. Recognise situations where damage to stone might have occurred - be extra cautious.

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 03:59:06 AM »
L.H. Sparey in his book "The Amateur's Lathe" suggested a use for broken wheels. (See attached scan)
I'm sure that this will be frowned upon.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 04:43:31 AM »
Yes there are a few issues there:

a/ Using the drill press to hammer drill through a stone  (goodbye drill press bearings)

b/ Dressing roughly made mounted stone on lathe (goodbye lathe ways)

c/ No precautions regarding how the arbor is glued  (goodbye eyes and teeth)

However I stand by my first posting in this thread - with suitable precautions and for my own use I would (and have) used s/h stones
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 04:49:30 AM »
Grinding wheels should have guards as standard equipment. The usual Chinese 6"/150 mm wheels have their guards often 1.5 mm thick steel, and IMHO it's rather adequate. I've seen guards also at 1.2 mm thick, that's not much, but better than no guard. But without any guard at all, life in a home workshop might be interesting although short  :hammer: 
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 05:35:00 AM »
At what point can one be reasonably certain that a stone won't explode? I've been using a s/h grinder (which came with a stone of unknown provenance attached to it), and I stuck a cup wheel I bought from the local second hand tool shop (again, unknown provenance) on it.

I've been cheerfully using it for the last couple of years now. It doesn't get run every day, but at least once a week I'd say.

Does that mean I'm likely to be safe from exploding stones, or just ever more likely to be dead tomorrow?
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 06:01:00 AM »
With this hobby and in this demographic group we are "more likely to be dead tomorrow" no matter what  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have L.H. Sparey, "The Amateur's Lathe" and there are some other methods as well that might be considered dodgy by modern standards. On the other hand it was a little harder back then to search stuff on internet and order stuff with pay-pall. Most of the tools had to be made, unless someone was doctor/dentist/manager and could actually buy them....

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 06:01:23 AM »
Adev,

Once it's on and has been used a bit it should be ok unless abused in use.

Common methods of abuse are a/ bringing heavy work up to stone too fast and clouting it b/ Loading the surface with soft material (such as aluminium) which tends to overheat the stone making it spall as it rubs and doesn't cut.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

lordedmond

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 07:56:06 AM »
when I was in work the firm ( would you believe Nat West ) sent us on a grinding wheel installers course to get registered for the banks insurance

we attended the two day course at a local tech collage during which it was impressed on us unless you know the history of the wheel then do not mount it

we had to take down remount a 24 inch dis 2 inch wide wheel on a cylindrical grinder that involved balancing , dressing and then grinding a test piece for examination

to sum up if you do not know and it is not mounted then retire it with the FBH

Stuart

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 08:09:57 AM »
No one has mentioned RPM and stone diameter in the Sparey discussion. Seems to me that a piece of broken grinding wheel re-cut to a half size wheel and bored (assuming an acceptable method of cutting and truing) if run on the same motor and at the same RPM as the original wheel ought to be running at that same fraction of the peripheral speed.

Likewise a full sized used wheel (if tapped and rung properly -- ie checked for cracks) might be re-purposed to a horizontal wheel at low RPM for putting a final unburned honed edge on woodworking tools, chisels, plane irons, knives, axes, etc with a fair degree of confidence. If vitrified I don't see why they couldn't be used as water stones that way, as well.

Back when I was a boatbuilder I used a wheel on a hand operated grinder for sharpening chisels and plane irons -- this grinder was geared and had a hand crank. I'm sure I didn't manage anything remotely close to 3450 RPM with them -- nor would I have wanted to, since getting a fine edge on high carbon steel requires a slow speed to avoid burning. A fine stone should be run at low speed for this kind of work, and our modern frenetic desire to shoot sparks all over the workshop every time we run something into the now standard high speed grinder isn't the only way to sharpen, nor even the best, fine as it is for removing metal in a hurry.

We seem to eschew hand work nowadays as tedious, and time consuming. But I often find it faster and easier to use my hand stones to do many small jobs than my powered grinder sitting 3 feet away.

I also find it more relaxing and satisfying than switching on that messy, dangerous, and loud machine, donning eye gear, standing away from it for a minute, and then sending sparks and abrasive into hidden corners of the workshop while breathing emery dust. Don't get me wrong -- I wouldn't be without it, but it isn't the tool of choice I go to for many jobs.

I sometimes read of people putting sandpaper onto a surface plate to "lap" some piece of work. I would suggest that they might consider re-purposing a perfectly good fast cutting open abrasive in wheel form even if they didn't feel comfortable mounting it on their grinder, and saving the surface plate for testing and marking out parts. I think you will be very surprised at the results of using old wheels as bench stones -- and they are much larger than any easily available true bench stone.

btw. If nervous about others some day using your re-purposed bench stone, just glue it to a board, or plug the hole with a glued in dowel, or better yet, a spoonfull of portland cement and sand, or mark it "Danger Cracked" (even if it isn't) or use some of another hundred or so creative ways I'm sure you can think of for allaying those fears.
Steve

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 09:21:17 AM »
Stuart,

:ddb: So when you took off the wheel, presumably you couldn't remount it as you didn't know it's history  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

lordedmond

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2013, 10:11:28 AM »
of course we did the instructor told us ,and it did not leave the room  :D :doh:

the trouble with those sort of courses to comply with the insurance they scare you to death especially when you see the can tents of the grinding tray the cuttings are just like lathe turnings in miniature

Stuart

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »
The only things I use the grinder for are deburring the VERY lazy way  :ddb:,  removing marks where a bar has spun in the chuck  :Doh: or occasionally sharpening a screwdriver tip , if it's too fat to fit in the screw I'm trying to undo...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 06:02:35 PM »
of course we did the instructor told us ,and it did not leave the room  :D :doh:

the trouble with those sort of courses to comply with the insurance they scare you to death especially when you see the can tents of the grinding tray the cuttings are just like lathe turnings in miniature

Stuart

Stuart

I have been trying to follow this thread along and was doing fine up until I got to can tents . I don't know if this is something new that you find around grinders or ???  :Doh: :Doh:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2013, 08:44:04 PM »
contents?
Steve

lordedmond

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 03:43:14 AM »

Stuart

Stuart

I have been trying to follow this thread along and was doing fine up until I got to can tents . I don't know if this is something new that you find around grinders or ???  :Doh: :Doh:

Don

Sorry Don
 I meant contents   I am dyslexic and the spell checker did not catch it, the form it takes for me is that I type the word backwards or I am completely blank on the spelling evan for two letter words
sorry for the mixup It makes me feel bad because at school they did not know of the problem ( 1957 era ) and the used the cane for bad spelling

Stuart

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 07:51:34 AM »
We all misspell (sp?) and spell check will accept all kinds of properly spelled errors. Just sometimes it takes a little while to figure some words out!
Steve

Offline mechman48

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2013, 09:13:43 AM »
Conventional wisdom with a grinding wheel is if you are not sure don't use it.

However if it was for my own use, I would carefully examine the wheel, reject any that have chipped rims or mounting holes, or signs of water or oil soaking unevenly (makes 'em unbalanced). Stick my finger in the hole and 'ring' it with a wooden screwdriver handle to check for cracks, and if it rings true mount it. Make sure the paper washers are sound and the dished washers are true, then start it up while standing to one side 'just in case'. Stop and start it a few times, and if still ok dress it and use it.

I have taught apprentices over a number of years & have always taught replace with new, known, & tested wheels,  also followed the above .. for my own use! if in doubt.. smash it. Another point to note that I taught ...' the spindle speed should never exceed the wheel speed'... & run the machine for at least a minute once the wheel has been mounted whilst standing off to one side.

George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2013, 02:03:30 PM »
Sorry Don
 I meant contents   I am dyslexic and the spell checker did not catch it, the form it takes for me is that I type the word backwards or I am completely blank on the spelling evan for two letter words
sorry for the mixup It makes me feel bad because at school they did not know of the problem ( 1957 era ) and the used the cane for bad spelling

Stuart

Hi Stuart

First off, I apologize for making the remark that I made. I was unaware that you are dyslexic but that is no excuse on my part. I too had/have trouble spelling and at school (1952 era) I spent many a recess studying my spelling while the other kids played. I managed to get the cane for other things though so I know what it feels like.

I find that if I preview the message and read it in preview mode that it helps to catch some of the things that were not as I intended. While this helps to cut down on errors some what there will always be the occasional one that slips through.  :D :D

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

lordedmond

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 02:38:04 PM »
Its OK Don
After all its my problem , sometimes it just catches me ( bad memories )

Stuart