Author Topic: Grayson lathe, Keats plate....  (Read 4048 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Grayson lathe, Keats plate....
« on: March 22, 2013, 11:36:31 PM »
After two days of travelling the little Grayson lathe complete with Keats plate, dividing attachment, milling vise, reversing motor, overhead drive bracket complete with fast and loose pullies is safely in the back of my ute.  Maybe home tomorrow to check it out properly!

No top slide though, no face plate either. The face plate should be easy as I understand a Myford one would fit.  I do have the remains of a top slide off some other machine that I might be able to adapt.

Yea, yea, I know, I know, pictures would be nice! :lol:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Grayson lathe, Keats plate....
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 11:48:32 PM »
John

No rush. We know that you will give us the full story with photo's when you get a chance. If we rush you we would only get an abreviated story and nobody wants that. Take your time, enjoy the trip and the time away from the shop. Remember that you are supposed to be retired and not watching the clock tick. Drive safe.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 12:13:48 AM »
Being as how I am on a seven day weekend nowadays there was no excuse not to start checking out the Grayson lathe especially as I was fully rested after the 1206km drive to get it!

Obviously it has been well loved at some time during the last 70 years or so.  Someone has fitted felt wipers and made a number of little 'enhancements' such as this depth gauging doohickey on the tail stock...

IMGP1387 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

Maybe it was the same person who made this rotating centre which I assume is shop built..

IMGP1389 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

But somewhere along the line someone had an oops while trying to lock the bull gear to the spindle..

IMGP1386 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 12:20:40 AM »
I had to have a little nip of  'medicine', just to steady my nerves, before putting the bull gear in the four jaw chuck and turning off the broken bit...

IMGP1390 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

It took absolute ages to turn up a collar especially as I had to also turn up a scrap arbor (just so everything would be properly centred) which I offered up to the newly turned side of the bull gear and drilled three 4mm holes.  I used my drill mount which was one of my earliest projects...

IMGP1391 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

I also had a root around in my box of 'old projects' and found this index attachment which I made about the same time as I made that drill mount..

IMGP1392 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:24:34 AM »
I tapped the collar for a set screw and attached the collar to the bull gear using three ultra long rivets (which I found in my nail drawer)..

IMGP1393 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

Put it all back and everything fits!

IMGP1395 by aardvark_akubra, on Flickr

The indexing attachment is very nicely made, it came with two plates ( a number 1 and a number 2) which are stamped 1939.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 12:42:26 AM »
John

Aren't those 7 day weekends lovely. It's just too bad they don't start much sooner in life.  :D :D

Nice save on the bull gear, probably better than new. :thumbup:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best