Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Oh Blimey I bought a CNC Lathe !!!!

<< < (133/134) > >>

awemawson:
Then they had to pack it all onto the flat deck of the lorry - there was no spare space !

awemawson:
So this leaves me with a few acres of space - all ready for the next project  :lol:

In fact the next thing into the 'project space' will be that 6 foot heavy duty grass flail that needs a rebuild.

Slight misgivings parting with the Traub - but it has been an interesting thing to get my teeth into, and it's very satisfying to think it will now go on to have a further productive life, whereas it was destined for the scrap yard before it fell into my clutches.

Spurry:
Good ending to an excellent tale. Well done Andrew on your final result, accompanied by the very clear pix, (at an appropriate resolution.  :thumbup: - Sorry couldn't resist. :wave: )
Pete

NormanV:
A question that has bothered me from the start. How was it that so much was wrong with it? I can't understand how it could have been used with all of the faults that you had to rectify. Was it a cascade effect that was initiated by one fault?

awemawson:
Yes Norman - it was a cascade - entirely placed at the door of the previous owner who shouldn't be let loose with anything more complex than a dummy  :clap:

A servo amplifier had failed, he delved in not knowing what he was doing - tried (as far a I can tell) to link out the fault bit on the interface that prevented the machine starting up, and managed to put power (probably 24v) onto one line on the back board that was common to many cards in the controller.

When i got it, the controller was out of the machine, and MANY wires were adrift - also there was evidence of several 'repair attempts' where wiring had been replaced but not done correctly. Result - machine kaput and makers agents wanting an arm and a leg to sort the mess. So it sat unused for quite a long time that resulted in intermittent relay contacts. Eventually I realised that one address line on the controller had been zapped, and 'buffer/driver' chips for that bit on several cards were blown. This was lucky as spares of those cards eluded me. (some popped up on ebay a few months back, but I don't need them now  :thumbup: )

Having got it running I've performed extensive burn in / soak tests so hopefully the new owner won't have any of these issues, and he has more sense than to dable dangerously.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version