Author Topic: Oh Blimey I bought a CNC Lathe !!!!  (Read 269527 times)

Offline dawesy

Re: Oh Blimey I bought a CNC Lathe !!!!
« Reply #625 on: March 05, 2015, 01:50:53 AM »
Excellent work as usual Andrew.
Anything on this site work for you?

http://www.reflectalite.com/LEDpage.html
Lee.
wishing my workshop was larger :(

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #626 on: March 05, 2015, 02:48:02 AM »
Thanks for the comments and link Lee. It seems that their brightest is 220 lumens which is about the same as the existing incandescent bulb.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #627 on: March 05, 2015, 08:10:48 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Plusrite-3302-Halogen-Light-Lumens/dp/B002ZPGDRM

Would a halogen bulb be too hot, Andrew? They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, with and without reflectors. They feed pretty easily from any 12V power supply, including batts. You probably can still get a 9 cell Nimh pack from hobbyists sites (or probably you already have a batt supplier you like).
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #628 on: March 05, 2015, 10:05:01 AM »
I think as well as the heat Steve, the issue would be getting the filament where the current one sits, which is really very close to the glass at the top where the 'pip' is on halogens :(

I'm persuing the possibility of putting a ring of bright LEDs around the objective lens, thus eliminating losses through the prism - this was suggested on the UK-d-i-y newsgroup
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #629 on: March 05, 2015, 11:45:48 AM »
I think as well as the heat Steve, the issue would be getting the filament where the current one sits, which is really very close to the glass at the top where the 'pip' is on halogens :( ......

Andrew - could you maybe vector the light through a bundle of cheap plastic optical fibre? you could then have as physically-large a lamp as you wanted? also keeps the heat away from 'the sharp end' ?

Dave

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #630 on: March 05, 2015, 12:09:35 PM »
Now there's a cunning scheme. What limit's the brightness you can get down a fibre? Obviously length - probably the thickness, any other parameters? Does the fibre need matching to the light colour ?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #631 on: March 05, 2015, 01:11:57 PM »
Colour matching - no worry unless you're at either extreme of the spectrum. Maybe a bit late but there are 'fibre optic Xmas trees' out there with multifarious illumination - maybe you could cannibalise one of them and just re-bundle the fibres with heatshrink - we're not worried about coherent light here!.

They're certainly available ready-made for endoscopes (at a price!) but there are even off-the-shelf adapters for the smaller Maglites

(and Deko on here has been making a clock with fibre to the dial, so he may be able to help as well).

Dave

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #632 on: March 11, 2015, 05:53:18 PM »
Hi there, Andrew,

Have you made any more progress with the Isoma 'scope?

How are you focussing it?  Have you got a feel for its magnification?  (The higher the magnification, the more critical the focussing.)

Please could you post a photo of just the microscope?

My Isoma 'scope has an eyepiece for viewing rather than a projection screen.  The eyepiece has a focussing ring to bring the cross-hairs into focus and then the 'scope is focussed on the object by adjusting the objective-to-object distance.  The problem with mine is that something's adrift in the objective, could be delamination or could be fungus in the cement between the elements of the objective, it's not yet a current project. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #633 on: March 11, 2015, 06:20:26 PM »
Pete, a bit of progress today in that I wired up a 'batwing' 700 lumen LED to a step up inverter off a pair of Lithium Ion cells, and constant current drive at 350 mA screwed onto a block of aluminium to keep it cool. Mounted the ISOMA in the chuck of the Bridgeport and pointed it at a ruler with direct illumination from the (VERY BRIGHT) led array, and got quite a good image.

It was literally a 30 min dash into the workshop - I've been down a trench all day laying drains for a new pig pen - also shifting the bits of the inflatable Chinese Field Hospital I use as a lambing shed ready for the onslaught expected at the end of the month while the rain has stopped.

Actually a bit of a downer on the Traub - the main spindle inverter has had an intermittent issue in that occasionally it's power supply cuts out and won't come back on unless left off for a few minutes. After which it's ok for the rest of the day. I had to turn the workshop heating off the other day (emergency oil shortage for our letting cottages so I pumped the workshop supply to the cottages until it arrived) Since then the intermittant issue is now perminent  :(

I've not yet been able to prove if it's intrinsically the psu itself, or it's load. Things keep taking me away from persuing it. It must be a warm up issue, but freezer spray and a heat gun haven't got me anywhere  :bang: I even pulled the psu (which generates about 8 isolated outputs), left it to cool over night, then powered it up and it was fine. Reassembled it's load (the intelligence of the inverter and the drivers for the 150 amp mosfet H bridges) and it worked for weeks  :bang:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline chipenter

« Reply #634 on: March 12, 2015, 03:17:26 AM »
Lots of lambs on the Romney Marsh yesterday it may be sooner than you think .
Jeff

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #635 on: March 12, 2015, 04:52:00 AM »
OT:  Andrew will have a pretty good idea of when his flock will start lambing - you just add 145 days to the date of conception. You can't assume that the tup(s) will 'do the business' on the day when they're first let into the ewes' field, so the tups are fitted with raddle markers (a block of greasy paint on a body harness, so that the paint marker is under their abdomen) so that when a ewe is served a coloured mark is left on her rump. These are changed periodically, so you can tell, within a week or so, when a ewe ought to be lambing; and in a big flock you may stage them in groups of a hundred or two at a time, from out-fields to near-fields to lambing pens on the yard. Raddle marks are also useful as you can see which ewes aren't likely to be in lamb and can move them to leaner keep and keep all the good keep for those lambing productively. (Its a lot easier to use, and particularly change, the raddle nowadays - it used to be just a mixture of tractor grease and powder paint).

There is though Jeff, what I suspect you're seeing, variation by flocks as a result of climate or a particular farmer's practice or risk profile - early lambing can be more vulnerable to bad weather, and due to colder weather there's less good grass on the fields so more hay & other fodder required, so costs higher & returns possibly lower for early lambs - these are all weighed up when deciding when the tups will be put in with the ewes.

Dave

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #636 on: March 12, 2015, 08:53:46 AM »
You learn something new every day here!  :lol:  :beer:
Steve

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #637 on: March 12, 2015, 12:38:52 PM »
The move now among some sheep farmers is to put the Ram in later, and have late lambs, the argument being that 5 th November tupping, which is traditional, brings forth lambs very end of March / early April. But generally the grass has barely started growing by then (*) so there are feeding issues. Down side is that the early lambs command a better price at market. There are those that over winter their flock indoors, tup very early and have lambs ready for Christmas to get very high prices. That's silly in my book - expensive production and rather insipid meat, all you taste is the mint sauce :)

We had our Ewes scanned this year for the first time, so we known which have singles, which twins, and which are empty.

(* grass needs 8 deg C to grow)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #638 on: March 12, 2015, 01:13:29 PM »
 Most sheep farmers in the Falkland Islands leave the rams with the ewes and get early lambs and shear later in the year. A friend of mine kept the rams away and sheared early. He had to be careful where he put the sheep after shearing to protect them from the weather. His later lambs got better grass and weather therefore fewer losses. 

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #639 on: March 12, 2015, 03:12:28 PM »
Andrew,

Please forgive me for an   :offtopic:  question:

Nick, is all the mutton/lamb produced in the Falkland Islands consumed locally or is some of it exported? 

And the same question for the wool? 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #640 on: March 12, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »
Most of it is exported, I don't know where to but not to UK. Shame really, it is good quality organic meat.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #641 on: March 12, 2015, 03:45:45 PM »
Andrew,

Please forgive me for an   :offtopic:  question:

Nick, is all the mutton/lamb produced in the Falkland Islands consumed locally or is some of it exported? 

And the same question for the wool?

Feel free - after all it was my rambling on about the new pig pen construction that started it. Incidentally, finished off the underground drains today, also intercepted the water main to re-locate the water trough in the original pen, and make ready for the new. Then backfilled the trenches so now I'm ready for excavating for the new concrete slab. Weather permitting I want to scrape off the layer of road planings where it will go as they are a useful material and there must be in excess of 5 cu M there. Silly to waste it.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline trapper

« Reply #642 on: August 01, 2015, 10:36:41 AM »
Know this is an old topic,started reading this morning read from start to finish, Wonder what happened to the CNC did Andy keep it,what has he made on it.Certainly he deservers a Knighthood for displaying the british bulldog spirit on this difficult project-what an inspiring result-Well done Andy amazing

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #643 on: August 01, 2015, 11:05:34 AM »
Hi Trapper,

Andrew here - yes still got the Traub.  Play with it occasionally but in all honesty it isn't used much. Quite a beast when in full flight  :bugeye:

Al the best,

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #644 on: August 01, 2015, 06:11:16 PM »
I missed this thread in the past so read it all through today.  An amazing amount of work and knowledge.  Thanks for posting it Andrew.

John.

Offline trapper

« Reply #645 on: August 02, 2015, 06:13:53 AM »
Hi Andrew,like l said read thro your adventure with your beast of a machine.Took a while to read from start to finish but it was like reading a good book couldnt stop once l started.I intend to read right thro again to digest things a bit more second time around.Wonder if the guy who you bought it off sacked anyone who advised him to get rid of your machine as it would never work again,or be cheaper to buy another one.It might just have wanted a new home and likes it better where it is now and its looked after hopefully you havnt retired it,Did you master the programing (Ithink you would have)Have you made any complex parts for anyone on here,if so any videos to watch.I have to say when you closed the door to start the machine it sounded great nice and smooth,l could see that lovely machine spitting the parts off with awesome accuracey.They should have an award voted on by members for their achievents in a given year and you would have got my vote,no offence to anyone else as theres a lot of really nice completed projects on here,but for sheer size and the lack of information you initially had on the machine-wow you would never get me off that thing.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #646 on: August 02, 2015, 06:52:50 AM »
 :lol: :lol: I'm open to offers for it  :lol: :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #647 on: August 02, 2015, 10:23:40 AM »
Definitely. You need something bigger, Andrew.  :lol:
Steve

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #648 on: August 02, 2015, 10:56:17 AM »
Now STOP IT Steve - I don't need encouragement, I need restraining  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #649 on: August 02, 2015, 01:35:48 PM »
Something, say 2 years earlier, with slightly different vintage of electronics and programming. Now that would would be something a guy could really sink his teeth into, a rare machine, and think of that feeling you get when the dead screen lights up and the spindle starts to move for the first time......is there anything better?

You're getting sleepy, sleepy, .......you know you want to sell this one Andrew....it works too well, where's the fun in that?.........you want to start a new thread here on Madmodder and a new project...........sleepy sleepy........  :med:
Steve