Author Topic: A couple of planes I've built  (Read 15931 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
A couple of planes I've built
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »
Here are 2 planes I built last year --both from scratch and both were made from insulation foam. The red one is a model of a '30's Brown B-2 racer I designed, and the yellow one is a Mambo -- a replica of the first R/C model I ever built back in the early 60's. The original was balsa and glow engine powered.

Both these newer models are electric. The Mambo has a faux engine cylinder turned up out of a bit of aluminum -- I needed a ballast weight up forward, and that seemed like a fun way to do it.

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline John Rudd

Re: A couple of planes I've built
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 04:18:02 PM »
 Nice looking models you got there...... :thumbup:

What does the power train consist of?
Motorwise, is it brushed/gearbox or brushless  battery pack..nicad or lipo?

Wingspan, auw?

I fly models too...may have to post up a few to compete with yours... :D
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 05:54:01 PM »
Hi John,
They are 36" and 52" wingspan, respectively. and use the good old fashioned  Towerpro 2408-21 (a.k.a. BP-21) brushless outrunners, and 1400 mah 3 cell batts.

AUW 1 lb 4 oz for the Brown and 2 lbs. for the Mambo.. (If I remember correctly!)

-- That's 567and 907 gm, for weights and 914 mm and 1321 for spans  --
Steve

Offline black85vette

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:06:11 PM »
OK, so you cast your own parts, make your own lathe, build airplanes from scratch.   Is there anything you Don't do??  :bow:

Seriously, nice looking planes.   I have built a few RC gliders, both slope and thermal.   Only one gas powered fixed wing.  Currently have 3 helicopters

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:40:21 PM »
Well B85V I don't machine as handsome steam engines as some people I might mention! Or even as functional ones. Well, yet, I guess. Boy my hat is off to you if you build sailplanes -- those are the most sophisticated, and elegant of all flying models.  :bow: :bow:

Other things I don't do... lessee, bake bread? Here's the proof, that box just has a bunch of stainless cable and AN hardware in it:

Steve

Offline black85vette

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 09:24:51 AM »
What is that sitting on the bread machine box??    Looks like a large tail section.

Did you use Monokote on the planes?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 10:05:13 AM »
Haveing been an aero moddler in the 1950's (I was 10 1n 51) through too 1972 when I went full size. I have dug out photos of a few of my planes. Built from Brian Taylor plans, balsa covered in solarfilm (silver). this was so when the paint got scrached it looked like metal. All these had flaps, retracting undercarrage, as well as the normal controls. Note three spitfires, 27mg and CB radio ment they never lasted long, except the Corsair that lasted 2 years flying most weekend. 

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »
What is that sitting on the bread machine box??    Looks like a large tail section.

Did you use Monokote on the planes?

Oh, that?

The full size UL Heath Parasol replica fuselage, you mean? The one with the stack of wing ribs and rudder frame under it? And the Hstab and Elevator on top? Oh that old thing...

I painted the model planes. The covering on the full size one would be aircraft dacron.

Probably won't ever finish it, now.
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 10:59:12 AM »
Haveing been an aero moddler in the 1950's (I was 10 1n 51) through too 1972 when I went full size. I have dug out photos of a few of my planes. Built from Brian Taylor plans, balsa covered in solarfilm (silver). this was so when the paint got scrached it looked like metal. All these had flaps, retracting undercarrage, as well as the normal controls. Note three spitfires, 27mg and CB radio ment they never lasted long, except the Corsair that lasted 2 years flying most weekend.

RGY, great planes!!!! Those are some of my favorites.Very well done!

I remember 27 Mhz gear. My first Mambo had it with an escapement. Crashed into bits about a minute into its first flight. I stayed out of R/C for about 40 years because of early disappointments. Only rediscovered the it and actually learned to fly a few years ago.
Steve

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 11:33:53 AM »
Beautiful models vt!  R/C models were an obsession for me from 1980 to 2005; before a buddy sold me his lathe.

...and use the good old fashioned  Towerpro 2408-21 (a.k.a. BP-21) brushless outrunners
That comment tickled my funnybone.  If outrunners are old fashioned, my geared Leisure 05 "can" motors must be absolutely prehistoric! :D

They were the cat's meow back when I got my 1st one in 1983 along with a 6 cell nicad pack with the "red" cells.  Electric power has come a long way since then.
Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 05:06:11 PM »
True, Dickeybird!

I guess I sort of apologized for the BP-21s because they are hardly used anymore, are considered inefficient, and you can't buy a new one. Yet they work great for me. I have a rough field and don't like to hand launch anything much over a meter in wingspan (well excluding a motorglider) and in that size range, and at the weights I tend to build at, I use smaller motors than most people these days, and smaller batteries.

I like the BP-21s for that. But they aren't considered a motor of choice for most people now.
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »
Today was the first day I felt like doing much after having a bad cold this week. A friend wrote and asked me to come down and fly, and since I haven't had a plane out all summer, I figured I'd let the shop cleanup lapse one more day. The weather was gorgeous almost no wind, perfect blue skies 70 F, and the foliage around here is just starting to turn fall colors.

I brought my Mambo (the yellow plane in the photo above) and my Spitfire, and just had a great day. The other planes in the air were gliders, and there were enough thermals about for some good flights. The Mambo is very light and does amazingly well with the motor off, too. I caught a couple of thermals with it and stayed up several minutes, engine off.

The spitfire is a wonderful plane -- nice size, 48" span, and flies with majestic ease, even straight up. Graceful plane, and almost silent with an electric DT750 motor in it and an 11 x 7 prop. Just a great plane to fly. It goes where you want, beautiful smooth rolls, loops and maneuvers.

A very fine day, and though I missed flying this year, I'll remember today as worth the wait.  :med:

Feeling better and ready to attack the clutter and mouse nests anew.....
Steve

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 04:11:40 PM »
Steve

Glad to hear that youi are feeling better after having dealt with the cold. I used to do a lot of RC in Airplanes, Cars and Boats. I know how good it felt to spend a day at the flying field with friends and fresh air. I must get my car out again one of these days.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 05:29:34 PM »
Thanks Don -- yes get that car out before the snow flies!  :beer:
Steve

Offline Jonny

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »
Whats the best linkages to use?
have tried plastic to brass readily available ball joints but have some friction, cant afford any play.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 05:57:52 PM »
You're asking the wrong guy! For my planes I use bent music wire in pieces of expired credit card.

If you're asking about R/C cars, probably best to open a topic for that.

Steve

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 06:06:34 AM »

Smart looking planes you got there.

Cheers David