Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

How do I cut some rings?

<< < (2/4) > >>

bogstandard:
John,

If you can grind up the shaped tool, it will do the trepanning you require, it is a combination of a parting and a boring tool. Make it about 4 to 5 mm across the tip. It will scream and chatter on the way thru, but you have to be positive with it and wack it thru.

It needs to be set exactly on centre height or at most, a couple of thou high, to allow for downwards deflection.

Remember that you are coming out from the centre, so the further out you go, the speed needs to be reduced. For your first cut at 50mm it would be like cutting a 50mm bar, so get your speed down below say 400, then reduce the speed the further out you go.

I fairly regularly cut recesses in flywheels with this shaped tool, so trepanning with it should be no problem.

John

SPiN Racing:
After watchig you all working magic.. I think If I were to try to cut rings..... 

Its late Im struggling for the term. Face plate chuck. With the holes.
Bolt a disk of plywood to it, say 1/4" or 3/8"
Then superglue and center Bolt the metal to it.

Then when cutting the ring.. the metal stays attached to the board after it is cut... I think.  :scratch:

Im sure the more experieced members would say yes or no to that one. (listens to find out if its a decent idea)

Scott

Divided he ad:
Ok..... So I've read this a couple of times now and from what I can figure this is the way I would tackle the issue....

Fitstly hold your square (assumed) plate to a faceplate (with sacrificial bit attached) and bore out the centre to size required,(I seem to think you don't have a mill?  I did this earlier in the thread I've linked to below... Copied from Bernd  :wave:)

Then using the chuck jaws through the hole you just bored, clamp the work from the inside using two paralells on opposite sides to space the work off the back of the jaws for the tool to miss the jaws  :thumbup: yet keeping the work concentric.

Then just turn your outer diameter.... You should have a ring left?!

Something like this.... Go down the page 1/3rd

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=389.90

Hope this would work? in 1/4" plate I would think it would?

Good luck  :dremel:

Ralph.

Darren:
Similar to what I did here, scroll down a bit http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=702.0

Bernd:
John H,

Here's what I would do for work holding. I would use a face plate with a sacrificial plate bolted to the faceplate, aluminum, MDF (medium density fiberboard). Take a skim cut to make sure it's square, Mount the 1/4" thick plate using four clamp plates as shown in the C-o-C below. Also grind up the tool Bog's (John) suggests and have a go at it. And like John said slow rpms. I would start at the slowest and work my way up until the tool starts to squeal. Hope this has helped.

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version