Author Topic: Myford VMC CNC Project  (Read 7054 times)

Offline mrckt

Myford VMC CNC Project
« on: January 20, 2013, 02:57:17 PM »
Hi all,

This is my first post and also my first serious machine project. So here she is:

The plan is to:

Strip and assess.
Acquire all the bits.
Machine all the parts.
Fit and test.
Make many things with it  :thumbup:

Rob.Wilson

Re: Myford VMC CNC Project
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 03:07:44 PM »
Hi and Welcome to Madmodder mrckt  :wave:

Looks like you have hours of fun in the shop converting the machine  :thumbup: there are a couple of machines undergoing such changes here on MM  :proj:

Rob

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 03:12:09 PM »
Hi and welcome to us  :wave:
Good luck with you're project.  :coffee:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 04:33:03 PM »
Hiya mrckt!  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Will be watching this. I have a mini mill converted that is getting ready to undergo a rebuild!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline mrckt

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 07:38:17 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. I've spent the last few days stripping and looking at ebay for bits.

I've already got 12Nm Stepper Motor and Driver but I need to get two 3.1 Nm Stepper Motors and Drivers. I also need to buy some ballscrews and nuts.

I've not decided what to do about controlling the mill; linuxcnc or Mach3 software? I like the look of the Linux but I've not dabbled with it before. I'm also slightly tempted to use my Raspberry Pi.

Many things to think about. :coffee:

Any advice welcome!

Offline j_e_f_f_williams

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »
Hello,

I have a Taiwan 8x30 mill that looks pretty well the same as that.   I too am starting to gather the parts to CNC my mill.  I am going the EMC/LinuxCNC route using servos.  I have some power steering servos out of some GM cars which seem to have quite a bit of torque (6 for $0 so price was right).  Have a 100A 15/30VDC powersupply and adding some 500PPR US Digital encoders to them.  Plan to use LinuxCNC to do the loop closure and PWM generation.  Will play with a parallel port and then move to a Pico or Mesa board for the real setup (parallel port not fast enough). 
Need to take the table apart to size up the space for ballscrews but want to get the servos turning first and I need the mill together to make some adapters for the encoders.

Encoders are ordered up for shipping this week.  Hope to do some servo stall testing this weekend coming up to see how strong they are.  Definitely can't stop them with my hands @ 15VDC.

Will be interested in your progress.

Jeff

Offline mrckt

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 12:53:27 PM »
Hi all. Many apologies if you have been waiting for an update. Happily I had a son some time ago and hence no time for... well. anything! I have however been busy on ebay etc and have accumulated many items to one day attach to my Myford. I've sourced some steppers, some ballscrews and many other useful items.

At some point I will provide some photos when I have made some progress.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 02:11:48 PM »
Yes, lots of pictures please!