Author Topic: Well pumping and water level  (Read 5499 times)

Offline ieezitin

Well pumping and water level
« on: February 19, 2013, 06:47:03 PM »
Gentlemen.
I am clutching at straws here but I have a problem that is challenging me.

I have a well for my home and the jet pump failed. Simple problem you may say just replace the pump! I did, I thought it was a shallow well, 25Ft or under. I hooked up the new pump and found I could not keep prime with my new pump so I thought the check valve went bad, so I pulled the header up and draw pipe from the casing head, while doing that pulling the header up the last part snapped off and slid down the well casing leaving a piece down there.
Ok! I struggled to retrieve the piece which I did, now I have a clear well casing pipe. Then I measured the water level and it shows 37Ft. this is not shallow well. My problems start here, I have a 2” sch40 PVC casing, every pumping system works on a 4” casing.

My question is this: is there a submersible pump that fits down a 2” casing that can supply a house with water?

Thanks Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline sparky961

Re: Well pumping and water level
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 07:10:48 PM »
Maybe I missed something, but what's wrong with using your jet pump?  I've worked with these for many years and from my experience it should work down to at least 100 feet if not more.

Most pumps I've seen can be used for deep or shallow but need to be set up properly witth the plastic venturi installed.

Offline dpcwright

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 04:42:07 AM »
Are you suggesting that you have a suction pump and are trying to lift water 37feet into a surface mounted pump?
The problem with that is an absolute vacuum will only lift water some 32 feet (if I remember my fluid dynamics correctly) and thus your pump will loose its prime all the time.
You need a downhole pump of one sort or another

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 12:17:02 PM »
Anthony,

So, your water table has dropped, right?  Bummer.

There are 175 down-pipe water well pumps listed at http://www.Grainger.com and a quick perusal found none sized for a 2 IPS system.  I did not walk through all 175 down-pipe water well pumps, so that is not a definitive statement and these types of pumps aren't really my thing, so you might want to wander through such websites yourself.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »
A quick Google search (that I should have done before posting my first reply) told me that the convertible jet pumps I was thinking about are good to about 100 feet, perhaps a bit less depending on the model.  They aren't just using suction, they use a two line system that pumps water down to force more water up... or something to that effect.  Considering the 37 feet that Anthony mentioned, this should work just fine.