Author Topic: My Tapered Thingymebob  (Read 5522 times)

Offline Meldonmech

My Tapered Thingymebob
« on: February 13, 2013, 05:44:49 AM »
Hi,
       Went out last week and bought my self a Thingymebob which cost me a whole pound. I knew I would need one sometime, but as of now I don't know what its for, or what its proper name is? Can anyone help me out?

Cheers David

Offline Kjelle

Re: My Tapered Thingymebob
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 05:51:06 AM »
Does it have scale or recess along the taper? It looks like a tool that goldsmths use to measure rings...
Kjelle

Offline mattinker

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:53:53 AM »
What size is it? I have something similar which was the other end of a "podger" spanner. A carrot. At least that's what my colleague called it in the quarry where I worked some forty years ago. A steel erectors tool for lining up holes when assembling bolted steel constructions.

Regards, Matthew

Offline lesterhawksby

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:54:13 AM »
"Spike thing"?

If big enough (I'm a poor judge of size in photos) it reminds me somewhat of a jeweller's ring mandrel for hammering rings to size. I have a similar iron cone which definitely is one.

Offline Miner

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 06:33:39 AM »
It's somewhat like a Marlin Spike used on sailing ships. If it's got a decent cross hole for a lanyard, I'd suspect it's for helping to align steel beams used by ironworkers. I've also seen the same used by heavy duty mechanics while a crane was aligning some very heavy parts. Cat bars is one term used for them, although those usually have a hooked end on them.

Pete 

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 07:54:39 AM »
An ironworker would call it a spud. They use it to line up holes to bolt steel together. Most times there is an open end wrench on the other end. Spud wrench!

I have seen a similar tool for splicing rope called a fid.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 08:00:05 AM »
Too well made to be a podger or a marlin spike - I'm sure that it's a ring sizer
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mechman48

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 08:21:33 AM »
Hi
It is more akin to a jewellers ring sizing gauge that has had the size marking worn off or not scribed on. having spent 50 yrs in the eng. trade from my experience a 'podger' 'spud wrench' have always had the smaller end finished off to a point so that erectors/ironworkers, & me, could pick up the smallest hole for alignment in beams / steelwork. Marlin spikes & fids(usually made of wood) are of the same design finishing off at a point to allow the 'spike' to be pushed into the 'lay' of sisal/hemp ropes & wire cables (have spent time with riggers, also have spent time as a sea cadet learning about ropes & splicing amongst other RN related stuff, also spent a couple of years in MN so had contact with old timers). So unless this item has had its narrow end cut & squared off I would definitely go for the jewellers gauge option plus it is too smooth & finished off for anything else.
Cheers
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 08:28:01 AM »
Looks like a ring sizer that was used as a spud  :lol:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »
Hi Guys,
       More details as requested: Overall length 13 inches
                                                   Length of diamond knurled handle 3inches it is domed on the end, and has heavy hammer marks
                                                   The handle is 1inch  dia. and  there is a 5/32 cross drilled hole 3/8 from the handle end
                                                   The taper is  9.5/8inch long, 1inch dia. tapered to 3/8inch, and is hardened and ground
                                                   There are many circumferential marks max. 1/8inch long plus even more dents
                                                   These marks are mainly on the middle section from approx. 1/2 inch to 3/4 dia

Cheers David

Offline lesterhawksby

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »
That's sounding a lot like a ring mandrel (or possibly sizer, but the jeweller I inherited mine from called it a mandrel) that has been hammered on pretty hard. The 1/2 to 3/4" dia bit would see the most use. They don't all have scales. Unfortunately, the more you intend to hammer rings on them, the more important it is they be smooth and undented.

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 05:53:45 PM »
To me that looks very much like a ring mandrel. Compare with the illustration from Wikipedia in: http://wiki.gzu-online.com/wiki/SE/ringregel/page485/NL

The one I have looks like the lowest one in the picture.

BR

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline Pete49

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 09:55:29 PM »
Well I have the exact same item in the shed with my faceting & jewellery gear. Its used to resize a ring or form one and is a ring mandrel. (or as some call it a resizer)
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 03:43:51 AM »
Hi Guys,
              Thanks for all you comments, there have never been any markings or numbers on the taper, so I don't believe it is a ring gauge. Since the taper is hardened and ground I think it is a Ring Mandrel ( Resizer ). At a later date in its life I am convinced it has been used as a Spud.

Problem solved,  Cheers  David