Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Wire up off on and emergeny switch on my drill

(1/7) > >>

sbwhart:
Some time ago a guy I know told me his son had a Drill for sale for £25 and was I interested, at £25 I thought it wouldn't be up to much and was not to enthusiastic, but he insisted I go and look at it, so nothing ventured nothing gained. When I got there I nearly bit his hand off for it, as it was a Startright free standing piller drill with two speed ranges  :D.

Now her's the bad news the on off and emergeny stop switch was missing, the guy had got round this by wiring it up so you could stop start it from the plug switch.

I bought a replacement switch but being a bit thick when it comes to electrics I havn't a clue how to wire it up.  :zap:

Can any of you chaps give me an idiots guide on how to do it.

Cheers

an electrical idiot

Stew

Divided he ad:
I know enough to do it if I were there Stew!!

My first call would be know how the cut off switch works, If you have a multi-meter use that on continuity or resistance to help sort out the poles (unless you have a diagram with the switch?)

Meter across the poles showing any figures = closed circuit (flow allowed) push the switch and the figures go = open circuit (flow stopped)

You could use a battery some wires and a bulb?

in the C-o-C  the bulb and battery could be swapped for the multi-meter etc.

Once you know the way the switch works you split the power feed line BEFORE the drive switch and attach it to the two terminals of the switch that you just found to work the correct way ( This should allow the power to be isolated from the other switch and the motor)

Now I'd give it a half day at least for someone to tell you I'm wrong.... Possible?  it is 5:30 am (get the excuses in there first!!!) But that's the way I'd do that bit!

If it's ok with you, I would need to research the direction switch wiring.... pictures of the terminals might help?  I'd still probably work it out in a similar way to above if I were there.

Has either switch got a circuit diagram on the side?

Ralph.

sbwhart:
Hi Ralph

Thanks for that there is a wiring diagram with the switch but it means nothing to me  :scratch: I'll scan it and post it later.

Thanks Again

:wave:
Stew

Darren:
As Ralph says Stew, it would be a doddle if we had the parts in our hands.

Remote advice at this stage could be dangerous....we need more info, connections and/or diagrams would help...

Maybe when I'm at Johns next sat we can have a look at the bits you have?

bogstandard:
If you come over today Stew, bring them along and I will sort out the electric string connections for you.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version