Author Topic: Joining Band saw Blades  (Read 4849 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Joining Band saw Blades
« on: January 22, 2013, 06:57:57 AM »
I have a number of band saw blades which have come apart for various reasons, and am keen to rejoin these. I would be interested in hearing the members experiences.
                                                                                    Cheers David

Offline John Rudd

Re: Joining Band saw Blades
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 07:14:51 AM »
Easy enough to do....
I made a jig from some 40*40*4mm angle...About 6 inches long. Cut an elongated hole about 20mm wide in the middle of one of the limbs, this is where the 2 halves of the blade will be placed..

Make a couple of clamps from an offcut of said angle and place around 1.5 inches from the central hole/opening.

Grind the blades to form a chamfer across the width so that when the blade ends are placed one on top of the other the ends meet with no step...Assemble and clamp onto your fixture and silver solder...Dress the joint to ensure the blade contour is uniform..

If I get chance, I'll post a piccy of mine....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:31:28 AM »
It's worth having a look at the Yahoo Unimat forum amongst their files.

Cheers

Norman

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:10:58 PM »
Chuck Fellows built a jig for scarfing the blades on a linishing machine and described it on one of the forums. Can't recall which one. Could have been HMEM.

Jim

Offline Pete49

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:01:23 PM »
Heres a pic of my home made clamp for joining bandsaw blades. Since the photo was taken I have reduced the size of the long clamp using the rejoined bandsaw blade
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline sparky961

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 09:25:27 PM »
A trick I read about recently to get scarves that match perfectly is to twist one end of the blade backwards (teeth face away from each other) and lay them on top of each other, then grind your scarf with both of them together.  This makes sure that both are exactly the same angle.

I just cut a V-notch in a piece of angle and clamped the two ends to that.  The notch gives you room to do your brazing and the angle keeps things lined up.

-Sparky

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 03:06:27 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments, have decided to follow your suggestions and build a silver soldering jig. The critical part of the process appears to be the accurate grinding of the scarf joint. I found the Blade Grinding Jig for the scarf joint on HMEM  and will be building one of these for the belt grinder.

Cheers David