The Craftmans Shop > Model Engineering

flexi drive shaft

(1/2) > >>

boatmadman:
Hi,

Does anyone know how the square drive on the end of a flexi drive shaft is made? I guess its compressed, but is there a tool available for doing this?

Ian

awemawson:
The ones on car speedo drives had a ground finish, but that doesn't mean they were compressed first then ground to size.

BillTodd:
I remember using a special Smiths tool for making speed-cable inners about 35 years ago (can't imagine anyone does that any more!)

IIRC  It was two pieces with three(?) sets of paired of 90° V-notches and some kind of clamping arrangement,  to hold the cable while the tool was clouted with a hammer.

Frank Ford has a how-to homebrew one here: http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Projects/SpeedoCable/speedocable.html

Bill

boatmadman:
Thats great, thanks for that.

Looks like I have a job to do!

Ian

ibuildstuff4u:
Are you looking for a drive shaft for a RC boat?  I use to race them for years and a lot of us got our shafts from used weedeaters.  Personally I didn't like using the square shafts and used a round shaft with a collet instead.

If you need a source for new 1/4" flex shafts with a round or square ends just let me know as I know of some suppliers that sell them for RC boat use.

Dale P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version