Author Topic: Horizontal mill users  (Read 16313 times)

Offline AndyB

• Cry 'god for Harry, England, and Drummond lathes'
Re: Horizontal mill users
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 06:51:44 AM »
Hi guys,

I have got a Centec 2A and my mate has got a 2B but neither of us have used the horizontal capability yet; my mate is too used to vertical milling and I am a complete newbie so trying to learn vertical milling first...not very successfully :bang:

I have got some old books that all show horizontal milling and the capabilities seem to be almost endless. :coffee:

Give it time and the instruction that might follow this thread and I might have a go. :scratch:

In anticipation :thumbup:

Andy
Waveney Valley, Suffolk/Norfolk Border

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Horizontal mill users
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 10:13:17 AM »
I'll try to show some setups I've used with my horizontal mill here. Can't get to some of the things I need right now -- blizzarding out. But I would strongly suggest anyone interested get David Gingery's book on building a horizontal mill from scratch.

The process of building the mill actually uses the mill to perform many operations, as well as building accessories to make it more useful. It therefore shows in very practical fashion ways of working with it nd ways of thinking to make it more versatile than just running the standard slotting and surfacing cutters. Even if you already own a horizontal mill, rather than wanting to build one, there are many things you can add to your mill using ideas in the book and the same -- or possibly different construction methods
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg