Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

What went wrong with my chuck taper?

(1/3) > >>

John Hill:
I put a piece of metal in the 3 jaw chuck and trued off the end OK.  The I put my tail stock chuck on its taper, put the centre drill in and tried to centre drill the work piece.

For some reason the drill went off centre and the tail stock chuck did a little wobble, so I tried again, same result.  It is the tail stock chuck coming loose on its taper and I could even feel a little wobble when I really tried hard.

So I took my percussion driver and knocked the taper more firmly into the chuck. 

Is it normal to need to do this?

Darren:
It could be a number of things,

How old is the lathe, is it worn.
Is the tailstock taper clean, it would only take a speck of dirt to upset things

bogstandard:
John,

As Darren says, it can be a lot of things, but the usual suspect is the chuck taper has released itself

DO NOT HIT ANY PART OF THE CHUCK OR ARBOR  :hammer:

You might already have done irrepairable damage, and the chuck just might not run true again.

Put the chuck on the arbor taper after first cleaning both mating parts, then gently tap the arbor tang onto a solid surface (NOT THE LATHE BED OR ANY OTHER BIT OF MACHINERY), that should then lock both parts together.

What I tend to do is put a very tiny amount of high strength Loctite on both parts before assembly. Not even half a drop of Loctite, just the faintest smear. Don't expect ever to take them apart again afterwards.

John

John Hill:
Dont fret John, it was only a loving tap on the end of the tang! ::) That was after cleaning both surfaces a couple of times, even cleaned it once with alcohol (what a waste) as the surfaces should be dry, right?

bogstandard:
Is it locked on now John, or are you still having problems.

If it is a guaranteed taper match (there are a lot of different ones) then it could be the taper is a little long and only just allowing the chuck to seat correctly. Just by removing 1mm from the end of the taper can give that a permanent fix.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version