Author Topic: Machining and SCUBA-diving; is there a correlation?  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Pete W.

Machining and SCUBA-diving; is there a correlation?
« on: December 24, 2012, 11:10:48 AM »
Hi there, all,

I've noticed that several members of this forum and of other machining & Model Engineering fora make references to SCUBA-diving.

I personally engaged in SCUBA diving in a small way from 1956 until the late seventies.  I eventually gave up because my employers seemed unable to bear my absence at weekends so I couldn't dive regularly enough to keep in training.

Looking back on those years, I have concluded that I took up the sport more because I was intrigued by the diving apparatus than because I couldn't resist the call of the dark, cold, heaving English Channel!

I wonder what other Modders think - are our brains all wired in a way that attracts us to machines and ingenious mechanical devices?  Or is it just a statistical thing that X% of people are drawn to workshop devices and Y% to SCUBA diving and there just happens to be some overlap?

Best regards,

Pete W.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:09:03 PM by Pete W. »
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Machining and SCUBA-diving; is there a correlation?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 11:21:57 AM »
Hi Pete!

I got certified when I was 15. Growing up in Maine, the water probably wasn't any better than the Channel. Cold and dark... year round.

I have a tinkerer friend that built his own rebreather.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »
Hi Pete

I got into scuba to look at rusty lumps of iron on the sea bed  :palm: , learnt to dive in the North sea , I did make quite a few stainless steel  SMB reels  and the likes .

Rob

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 12:19:43 PM »
I've always fancied scuba diving, but never got around to trying it. Then again, I struggle to use a snorkel properly, so I'd probably be a disaster with proper diving kit...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline yorkie_chris

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »
Yep!

I'm fairly hooked TBH.

Out as much as I can and have a load of parts on the way for a homebuilt rebreather :)

Offline Jonny

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 02:02:16 PM »
Not in to scuba but do use some of the stuff
ie a couple of 232bar to decant in to from 12ltr 300bar cylinders, regs etc