Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Making rollers for a ring bender

(1/3) > >>

Brass_Machine:
Ok... need some help here. I am designing a ring type tube roller to do some light and small tube rolling. One thing (among many) that I haven't done on a lathe yet is make a semi circular groove. I kinda have an idea on how it is done... but I am not 100% sure. What I want to make is this:

How do I make the groove that the tube rides in? I know I am going to have to get some round drill rod the same size as the tube groove I want. Gotta make a holder for the rod. How do I grind and then heat treat the drill rod? Any type of relief etc? What angle does the tool need to be set at? I heard perpendicular to the piece I am turning?

I am not quite lost... need some help getting back on the path.

Eric

bogstandard:
OOOOh Eric, you do make life difficult for yourself.

I think you have an RT and a mill, try the way on the C-o-C

I did all the rollers on my tube bender this way. Only takes minutes for each size.

If you want to do it on the lathe, you are correct, any angle from perpendicular will give an eliptical shaped groove. You would only need a very shallow angle on top, say 3 or 4 degrees at most. But expect a bit of noise, as it is plunge cutting, very similar to parting off.
Bring your drill rod up to cherry red and hold at that for about 30 seconds, then quick quench. You should then temper it to straw colour for long life, but use as is if you are only doing a couple of rollers.

If you want to see a basic toolholder for it, let me know and another C-o-C will be posted.

John

Brass_Machine:
Doh! That way is much much easier. My mind was set that I had to do that on a lathe! I have a RT... el cheapo that it is. Just gotta set it up now. Many thanks John!

Eric

Bernd:
John,

Very interesting method of cutting a groove in a roll.

My question. What if the size is not of the cutter you have. Lets say I need a .600" dia. but only have a .500" dia cutter. How could I make the groove the size I need it to be?

One idea I had was to cut with the 1/2" cutter and then use a boring bar set to take out the rest of the stock. Would that be feasible?

But thinking as I'm typing. Would close enough work. Inother words use the next larger cutter and just make a larger groove?

Eric, what size tube are you bending? Just courious.

Bernd

Brass_Machine:
Hey Bernd,

I am going to be bending .25 and .375 tubing... brass and aluminum.

Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version