Author Topic: Edge technology : edge stop and lathe centering tool  (Read 5679 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Edge technology : edge stop and lathe centering tool
« on: April 08, 2013, 07:56:59 AM »
Ever thought of buying these? they are kinda neat.. Looks good in picture.. what does not come out of these pictures is their size.  :)

The are sitting in the palm of my hand..  :thumbup:
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Edge technology : edge stop and lathe centering tool
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 08:20:51 AM »
I have the one that is a 6 mm bar in the chuck, with a level that rests on the tool tip. It works fine and I use it, but a 6" ruler trapped between the tool tip and a bar works just as well (adjust for vertical ruler)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 08:31:09 AM »
yeah i thought of getting that first.. but im a cheapskate..  ;)

And i have never got that ruler trapped between work and tip to work.. ever.. i usuall eyeball the tip against a center point or something or just.. well eyeball it.. is usually on center.. Its the damn parting bits i have trouble with.. and they are scary as hell to use off center in 700rpm pushing through a 80mm steel bar ;D
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 08:57:35 AM »
I made a fixed height gauge that sits on the cross-slide, top of the upright is at centre height and offset on top of that a piece of gauge plate, so I can bring tools to meet it either right way up or flipped over if I want to turn the far side of the work. The upright threads into the base with a locking ring, so there's a bit of adjustment that I used to get it dead on centre height before locking it up for good. Works for me, quick to use and doesn't ding up my 6" rule :)

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »
Ah well i have a chinese crap lathe.. doesnt have tslots in the cross slide..cant really attach anything there. ;/

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 01:50:52 PM »
I made up my own stop which works with material down to 1/16" thick in the vice. I'm not normally one for making tools but they are so easy to make.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 03:59:37 PM »
hehe yeah its a neat solution.. but these are pretty..  :lol:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 04:18:08 PM »
but these are pretty..  :lol:

They sure are   :thumbup: , I  have there tram tool  :dremel:

Rob

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 05:59:02 PM »
[Quote Neotech;]
Ah well i have a chinese crap lathe.. doesnt have tslots in the cross slide..cant really attach anything there. ;/
[/quote]

My T slots are plugged unless I'm bolting something down, otherwise they fill up with swarf and I can't get the T nuts in!
 If your cross-slide has a flat top you can just sit the base on it, like I do - worth putting a dti in the spindle to check it really is flat though...

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.