Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Making a Toolpost T Bolt

(1/7) > >>

Darren:
I wasn't going to post this as it's such a simple thing to make. But then I thought what the heck, let's not let this place get too quiet eh?

On my Smart & Brown lathe I use two tool holders and frequently swap between them. A while ago one of the T bolts broke so I've been making do with just the one. It's a real pain having to swap the bolts between the two holders all the time. So tonight I decided to do something about it.

An old bolt which is oversize to allow a good head size for the T bolt.

Skimmed the head down on both sides to the size of the T slot on the lathe, center drilled it and used my "patented" center punch as a center steady. Left and right handed tools used to turn the shaft dia.

Parted it off

Quick trim up on the miller to make the flats by using a collet block. Do one side and then turn the block over to do the other side.

Depth was set to take 3mm off both sides evenly

Looking good so far, need the bottom section of the shaft trimming to fit the upper part of the slot.

Used my parting tool to do this

Fits nicely

Snug as a bug

Unlike the other one I'm currently been using, though this does fit the other holder properly.

Well that's it for tonight, need to cut a thread and make a nut/lever to fit next.

Bernd:
Nice use of an old bolt Darren. :dremel:

I've got a few of those laying around. Now I know what I can make out of them.  :thumbup:

Bernd

sbwhart:
Good one Darren  :thumbup:

Like I tell my wife never chuck anything rusty out you never know what you can make it into.  :ddb:

Cheers :wave:

Stew

Stilldrillin:
Nicely done....... Nicely shown, Darren...... :clap:

Thank you!  :thumbup:

David.

Darren:
Thanks guys, I did wonder if it warranted the bandwidth being such a simple project.

Anyways, a little more done tonight. It's amaizing how this "quick" tasks seem to take several eves..... :poke:

The nut, we need a nut, pref one with it's own handle to save searching for the forever missing spanner and dropping it on the floor constantly.
Esp as I'm finding the floor seems to be getting further away these days. It's a long way down  :lol:

Chucked a length of steel stock, drilled it and tapped 10mm. Set the top slide over on the lathe to 10deg and put a taper on the end. Here you see it on the mill. I'm just about to put a flat on the taper.
The vice is set over by 10deg to match the taper.

Then it was center drilled, drilled and tapped 6mm for the handle.

Here's the handle....

The rusty bolt was trimmed up a little, head turned down and a short 6mm thread produced to match the nut.

Just need to cut the 10mm thread on the T-bolt now and it's all done

I say just !!
Been trying to do it tonight and gave up. 10mm is getting on the larger side for a die and the forces are getting too much to hold the part in my lathe without it slipping..!!

Oh bother !!

Never mind, I'll just have to do it on my precision lathe as a single point threading operation  :)

When I get it back that is, Bogs treasure den is a long way from here. Needs careful planning....oh the anticipation, can't wait !!!

:ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version