Author Topic: Fibre Optic Clock.  (Read 43209 times)

Offline Deko

Fibre Optic Clock.
« on: December 18, 2012, 11:29:25 AM »
Hi Folks
I thought i would inflict this on you as there seemed to be a bit of interest on a few other sites.  When finished it will be a clock that uses fibre optics to show the time.  In the pics there are four cylinders, one with an arm and a helical gear fixed to the shaft. This holds a synchronus motor doing 1rpm. the other three are all controled by the motor, the short one connected to the motor with the helical gear is for showing the seconds,and the other two for the minutes and hours. Inside the cylinders,lining up with the holes will be a row of LED's, and outside a row of fibre optics. As the cylinders rotate another fibre receives light from a LED to show the time. The other end of the fibres will be arranged in concentric circles around the clock face, seconds on the outside,minutes in the middle circle,and hours in the center circle.  I hope you can make sense of this. I first had the idea for this 32 years ago,but had neither the time or the means to do anything about it. It may be some time before it gets finished,but if there is any interest i will try to keep you up to date on progress.  Any questions, i will try my best to answer.   --------Some pics

Cheers Dek.

Offline Fredbare

• Fakenham, Norfolk
Re: Fibre Optic Clock.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 04:06:49 PM »
I will certainly be watching this, thanks for sharing.

John

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 11:27:40 AM »
Hey Dek  :wave:

Glad you've decided to show this on here. It is I can tell everyone I've seen it first hand.....  a fantastic piece of work  :smart:

I've had a chat about the cam you need with Ade. He is prepared to have a go at getting one cut for you.... he just needs a drawing with all the measurements etc.

You can pass the details through me if you like or maybe Ade will have a chat with you and see if you two can come up with a plan?

Ade  :poke: 

We'll see how that goes.

Did the LEDs turn up? Were they all ok?

I've got some blue ones like those white ones (but half the width I think?)  on the way. So if you need some bright blue LEDs just let me know. Getting 100!   :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 11:59:30 AM »
WOW   Dek

Cracking bit of engineering all the parts look finished to a very  high standard  :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumbup:

Rob

PS did you make your own gears ?

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 01:08:42 PM »
I love looking at the parts for this thing... tho, I have no idea how the finished piece is going to turn out. Is this based on your own design? Are you working from plans?

Brass, LEDS, Fiber....  :drool:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Deko

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:42:52 PM »
Thank you for the kind comments gents,I feel very flatterd.  Eric, I have no plans, i make it up as i go along. I made a prototype about 10years ago when i only had a X1 mill, then about 2 years ago i bought a new lathe and mill and i am using the clock as a way of learning how to use them.  Rob, I have to admit that the two parts that i have NOT made are the helical gears, ( they came from some scrap M.O.D. stuff ) but i did cut the two ratchet wheels using a 60degree dovetail cutter. I hope that one day i will be able to make things like your taper turning job to that kind of standard,  :bow:  Ralph, I think i may have thought of a way of cutting the cam on the mill with the indexer and a slight tilt on the mill head, but i will let you know if it works ok. LED's arived ok and look like being just the job. Next time you are over i will do you a swop for a few blue ones. (i bought 100 red, 30 green, and 10 white )  John, my pleasure to share, and i will keep posting, allthough my progress i fairly slow. :med:

Thanks again chaps.  Hope you all have a great Christmass and an even better new year. :thumbup:

Cheers Dek.

Offline Deko

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:45:14 PM »
Hi Folks. Had about a month with no workshop time but back on the case again now so here are a few more pics of progress so far.

First pic shows linkage from motor to mins cylinder, and beval gears for setting the time ( sorry Rob but these are from the scrapyard as well ).   Second pic shows the ajustable holder for the LED unit.   Third pic has the bar that will hold the fibres, resting on the top with a single fibre in place, the other end of which is stuck in a piece of black acrylic to show the effect i am trying to achieve.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 01:55:05 PM »
Good to see progress on the project  Dek :thumbup:  ,,,,,,,dam interesting clock ,looking forward to seeing it work .

Just out of interest how may shop hours have you put into the clock ?   

Rob

Offline Deko

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 02:03:41 PM »
Hi Rob,  I dont have a clue how long, i gave up clock watching  :lol: :lol: :lol: years ago. I just do a few hours between other jobs. Most of the time spent on it is thinking how the hell am i going to do that bit, i am making the thing up as i go along.

Cheers Dek.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 06:26:07 PM »
Looking good Dek  :thumbup:

After all the thinking I've been putting into my little projects I think this would have my brain fried three times over by now!  :smart:   :)

As Rob said "looking forward to seeing it work"  :nrocks:

Ralph.

Offline Deko

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 02:17:29 PM »
Hi Folks
           It's him and that dammed clock again. :wack:  Got a bit more done, but slow progress, a few more pics here.

Not sure what order they will appear but they include :-the bits for the assy that will hold the mins fibres, the bits assembled, a view of the cam and link to the hours cylinder, and a view of the whole so far.    Much more to come but it may be a while as "men in sheds" may be having a go at the Red Bull soapbox race and i will be very involved in building a soapbox. :scratch:

Cheers Dek.

Offline DarrenUK

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 02:39:19 PM »
Wow! That is a crazy machine, very nice finish on all of the parts that you have made so far. I look forward to seeing more.

Offline philf

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 02:55:03 PM »
Hi Dek,

Amazing work.  :clap:

Looking forward to seeing the finished clock.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Deko

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
Thank you for the kind words folks. :thumbup: Darren, about the finish, when the thing is complete and working OK i will then pull the thing to bits and polish avery bit then put it all back together with a piece of black perspex to cover the base. Then it should be a real nice finish. :headbang:  Phil I have sent you a PM.

Cheers Dek.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 04:27:05 PM »
Dek,

Thought you'd have put some effort into it  :jaw:    :poke:    :thumbup:

Damn you make some fine stuff in that there shed  :bow:

Hopefully be over soon... I'll let you know  :)

Ralph.

Offline Deko

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 05:25:06 PM »
Do me best Ralph, do me best. :palm: Remember talking about that cam ??? well here is a pic of how i went about it. I first drew it on a sticky label then cut out with jigsaw and a lot of VERY carefull filing and checking with a DI. :scratch: Should have let Ade do it realy.
Realy look forward to a visit, ( lenses and prisims to investigate remember ).  See you soon.

Cheers Dek. :med:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 02:00:45 PM »
Stunning Dek  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Sure your not going a bit HG Wells and building his  time machine  :med:

Rob

Offline Deko

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 03:43:20 PM »
Having seen your work Rob, i consider any praise from you is praise indeed, Thank you :thumbup:

Time machine HMMMMMM!! now there's a thought :smart:

Cheers Dek.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 06:35:23 PM »
Dek,

I saw the cam on the pic, above. Figured you'd sorted it  :thumbup:

Always a way to get the job done.

Looks the part  :borg:

I'm over on Monday morning, got some parts to fit on John's mota. Should be done early afternoon if you're available?

All vehicle and weather dependant of course  :coffee:

Ralph.

Offline Deko

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 04:01:53 AM »
Slowly getting there with the clock. :coffee: Allmost finished the main mechanism, then it will be sort out the perspex , strip down, polish, and final finish. Sounds easy when i say it quickly.  The latest pics show the bits for the hours unit,then the unit assembled with a piece of black perspex to the right. This has a fibre in the top right hand corner just to give an idea how the fibres will look on the face,allthough at the moment the LED's are running under voltage so not as bright as they will be on the finished item.

There are a few pics of the (allmost complete) mechanism,and a very distorted one with the frame for the clock face in place. The frame looks much bigger than the base in the pic allthough it is realy smaller.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 04:06:58 AM »
All I can say is that is simply stunning and beautiful work  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I can't wait to see it finished  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline philf

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 04:11:17 AM »
Hi Dek,

It looks more like a time machine to me!

It's looking superb.  :clap:

It was very nice to meet you at the show on Saturday.

I'll pedal over one day soon to see you.

:beer:

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »
Hi Dek ...

So, there I was, looking at this thing, all brass and jiggly bits ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gjWksI2hj0

and I wondered ....

What is happening on the Fibre Optic Clock build ???

Well ???

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Deko

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 05:46:42 PM »
Hi Dave.
             I have only managed to do a few more bits (pics below) since my last post on here as I have been

quite busy at "men in sheds". They have bought an SC3 mini lathe from Arc Euro (fantastic service from Ketan)

and I have been sorting that out.  You could allways pop over and visit John and myself and see it "in the brass"

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 03:32:59 PM »
Hi Deko

Ah, more splendidly crafted bits of, to me, unknown function ...  :scratch:

You're right. I must see this clock sometime. Not soon I fear. I'm wallowing in DIY and horticulture at the moment. Just had 12 fence panels delivered today, which is a bit of a bu99er, 'cos now I have to rip out the old ones and fit the new.

What's this Men in Sheds' bit ??

New on one me. Some sort of obscure Cheshire ritual?

If it's rude I don't want to know. After heaving the wretched fencing about I'm feeling somewhat delicate.

I'm beginning to think that maybe the 'newness' has gone from my joints ..

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.