Author Topic: Electric motors  (Read 3407 times)

Offline ieezitin

Electric motors
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:04:59 PM »
Gentlemen

i am useless when it comes to electric and stuff so please excuse my ignorance.

would this motor run a small lathe or milling machine,  example a 6" lathe and or a small mill drill set up Ron-Fu 400 range?

Thanks    Anthony.

here is the link.         http://www.carusew.com/ind%20misc/mtr.html
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Swarfing

Re: Electric motors
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:10:43 PM »
The short answer is yes, but it does state it is a servo motor so will require a driver unit and controller?
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 07:14:44 PM »
Swarf

Old lap-top maybe? coupled with a little-bit of the old softy-ware? is this what you mean?

Anthony.

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:44:12 PM »
Nope, an old laptop and some software won't cut it.  A servo is usually a special type of DC motor that is controlled by a servo drive.  A servo uses closed loop control to control the motor, that is an encoder is used to feed speed/location information back to the servo drive.  The servo is usually used for position control.  You could drive a spindle with it, but I don't see the point.

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline jcrous

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 12:28:23 AM »
This is an Industrial Sewing machine motor.
The cheaper variety from China is suppose to come with the controller (Here in RSA they do).
The lever with the holes in is the starter lever (not knob or button). The further you move it, the faster the motor run, depending what settings you have punched in on the servo.

Some of them do come without a servo and are limited to the faster ranges, I think a few setting, changeable with a screw.

I am still thinking of buying one for my sewing machine for the future.
Regards

Johan

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:13:23 PM »
Okay, after actually reading the manufacturers specs on this motor, I'm going to change my tune - a little.  You do get the servo drive built into the motor, along with the speed adjustment and forward/reverse controls.  You can't see them in the picture shown in the link, but if you go to the manufacturers website you can see them.  The servo drive is that big honkin' thing on the back end of the motor.  At this price for a 3/4 Hp variable speed motor it might be worth looking into if you wanted to experiment. 

I would have three concerns about this motor.  First - I haven't been able to find whether it's rated for continuous duty or not, this may or may not be an issue to you, depending on how long and hard you intend to push your mill/lathe.  Second - I couldn't find anything that would give me any idea how good of speed control you would get.  That is to say I don't know what is going to happen under load.  For instance, you might have the motor speed set for 2000 RPM no load and when you put a load on the motor it might drop to 1000 RPM.  Third the motor mounting bracket looks very unique to put it mildly, you'd probably want to do something different.

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 02:07:41 PM »
DD,

I think you nailed it, At this price its really a non brainier if it don’t work to well on the lathe (which would be the machine that would abuse it the most) I have a couple other little projects for it on an assortment of other machines around my shop.

I just can’t believe the price for what you’re getting. Saying that I am a believer in you get what you pay for so I won’t be to pissed off if it falls apart.

Anthony