The Shop > Tools

Eureka form relief tool

(1/11) > >>

raynerd:
A month or so ago now I put out an ad on homeworkshop for a eureka tool and managed to pick one up. Little more to be said about the purchase other than I was a little disappointed, the parts were poorly made and the device didn`t actually work!  :Doh:

Ahh well, a lot of time has been put into correcting this and also a lot of support from a fellow madmodder in helping me get this up and running. Its seems to be working OK now. Sadly there was no eccentricity built into the gear blank arbour and so it didn`t actually turn off centre! Also the ratchet clicks were incorrectly positioned and one was the incorrect size so it didn`t count the ratchet wheel properly. Finally the ratchet wheel had been hand cut and although actually I expect this would have been OK, I have used my divider and fly cut the wheel true and even. I`m pretty sure it is now running OK. The original plans allow the eureka to be held in the tailstock with an offset (to maintain concentricity) hole in the tailstock. I might be able to turn the end down and re-spot this but for now, you can see the end spot also turn eccentrically so it can`t be supported. I`m hoping that holding the Eureka in the three jaw will be good enough support it anyway.

The proof of this is in the successful cutting of a wheel cutting blank but I just wanted to post this up as I just think the concept is incredible! Whoever came up with this just thinks on a different level!

mattinker:
Chris,

Thanks for showing this amazing device.

I didn't understand how it worked without seeing a hob in it, a little web search and I found on HSMM a thread by Charles Lessig including a video of a hob being made.

The thread,http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/30041-Eureka-style-gear-hob-reliever-video

The video

Regards, Matthew

raynerd:
Hi Matt
Yes, I`ve seen Charles Lessig video - he has made some adaptations to the original plans to allow the relief of hobs. I`m hoping to just use this for single point cutters.

I hope it actually works when I give it a go in the next few days!
Chris

Rob.Wilson:

--- Quote from: raynerd on December 17, 2012, 05:46:59 PM ---

I just wanted to post this up as I just think the concept is incredible! Whoever came up with this just thinks on a different level!

--- End quote ---

Hi Chris

I think it was original designed (the type you have) by a Mr Blazer from the USA around 1900 .

It is a dam clever design , I built one too  :dremel:

Rob

AdeV:
Pardon my ignorance, and possibly stupidity; but what's the purpose of the tool; or, to put it another way, what, other than making a wiggly-shaped cut on a piece of metal, what does it do?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version