Author Topic: Double Tich Locomotive  (Read 20241 times)

Offline GWRdriver

Double Tich Locomotive
« on: January 30, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »
I've had someone suggest that I start a project blog to describe what I've been up to lately . . . so what follows will be an account of my current project, a 7.5" gauge version of LBSC's TICH, a British 0-4-0 contractor's locomotive.
The TICH was originally designed by LBSC as a beginner's locomotive in 3.5" gauge and has since become the world's most popular live steam locomotive in numbers of castings sold and in running locos built.  If you don't know who LBSC was you can look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curly_Lawrence for a thumbnail biography of this prolific but eccentric and often controversial model locomotive designer.  While the TICH would run very well with a good fire it had a small boiler and firebox and proved to be very difficult to fire on the run or by the inexperienced and was typically capable of pulling only a couple of adults.  Nevertheless thousands were built over the years and it provided an excellent entry-level training project for aspiring live steamers.  The construction articles were serialized in The Model Engineer magazine beginning in Vol.100 (Jan 1949) and subsequently appeared in book form as "The Live Steam Book."  Since the TICH had no specific prototype it was often the object of personal interpretation in detail and finish, as mine will be.
The 7.25"/7.5" gauge version was developed in the 1960s by Charles Kennion of Chas. Kennion & Son (Herts, UK) when it was found that the 3.5" gauge TICH design simply doubled, with a few adjustments here and there to accomodate scaling, produced a good running design.  Until their closure Kennions provided castings and drawings for the 2X version and these continue to be available from GLR Distributors (UK), who acquired the Kennions designs.  Since that time experiment has shown that a few modifications, such as an increase in cylinder bore from 1.375" to 1.50" or even 1.625", produces a more powerful and better running locomotive.

Another significant influence on my project is the work of Kennedy (Ken) Swan, of Co.Durham UK.  Ken is an engineer and model locomotive designer whose very successful and popular design for the 0-4-2 BRIDGET locomotive was drawn upon frequently for guidance or inspiration, and a few parts.  The single bought out item (so far) in my TICH are the 5" diameter drivers which were for the BRIDGET.

My TICH project was originally conceived as a simple build-one-as-fast-as-you-can club locomotive, but almost immediately I began to change things which I felt would improve the design by making for longer life, easier repair, more power, etc, and in the process I discovered that I can't build one fast - Life always seems to get in the way.  I estimate that the project is now about 70% done and to date I have about 1250 hours of hands-on construction time and between 700 and 750 hours of design and drawing work in the project.  That may seem like a lot of drawing time, and it is, but I changed my mind often about how to do things or how things should look.  I haven't kept track of my research, thinking, scavenging, material search, etc, time - hundreds of hours probably, and I expect to eventually have between 1800 and 2000 hours construction time in the completed locomotive.

So here we go and I'll post photos and descriptions as time permits.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:06:32 AM by GWRdriver »
Cheers,
GWRdriver
Nashville TN

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Double Tich Locomotive
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 08:43:16 PM »
Very cool. Anxious to see what you do.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 10:10:47 AM »
Very nice build, it should work out to be a powerful engine, some of the guys my loco club run 5" gauge Tiches very sucesfully

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline GWRdriver

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »
Page 2
One of the challenges of technical writing is maintaining a logical continuity, where one action is followed by its logical successor, a straight-line progression of action, when in fact technical progress is typically anything but straightforward so there may be some skipping around.  A number of things influence the selection of this locomotive project.  I chose 7.5" gauge because the nearest available tracks to me are 7.5" gauge.  I chose a British 0-4-0 because firstly I love British locos, and then as I mentioned previously I wanted something I could build quickly.

Tools can also play a large role in project choice so I'll list mine to give you an idea of what I have to work with: Lathe: Harrison 10"x24", Mill: Jet 8" x 30" combination horiz/vert, drill press, die filer, cutoff bandsaw, 1x42" belt grinder, oxy/acetyl torch, and the other miscellaneous gear and accessories as would typically go along with these machines.  One item which has been particularly useful is a heavy 9" rotary table (Troyke).  I acquired my tools piece-meal over a span of 30 years and they give me the capacity to easily build a 7.5" gauge locomotive.  I don't use CNC or insert tooling (yet) and my one "modern" indulgence is a DRO on my mill.  My most often used workshop tool is a file.

Occasionally I will do some job the hard way, that is, I'll use a material or technique that I could easily have done differently and saved time.  My answer to that is that I often do things to challenge myself, to see if my skills are up to snuff or to develop new skills.  Most times I'm glad I tried it out or acquired a new skill, but sometimes not, and I'll try to tell you which times are which.  It was also important for me to be able to say, in the end, that I built it all myself, within my own workshop, and so far with the exception of the casting I haven't put anything out to be done by others.  There are a couple of things that will need to be MIG or TIG welded and that will have to be put out.

Some years ago I had the opportunity to buy a few odd castings for the BRIDGET loco (mentioned above) and these included a set of drive wheel castings and cylinders which were very close to the size needed for the TICH, although the BRIDGET driver castings were 5" diameter and the TICH called for a 4" driver.  So the decision was made to re-scale the original TICH to accommodate oversize drivers and in the end the loco is very little over the overall size of the original.  The cylinders however did not work out well so I decided to make a pattern for the cylinders and have those poured in cast iron.  I would have made many more patterns for iron castings over the course of the project but in my area walk-in, loose pattern iron foundries are a thing of the past.  More on the cylinders much later on.

A full set of original drawings for the 7.5" gauge version was acquired from GLR in the UK and start was made.  I began redrawing in Cad (Autocad Ver.LT97) and a plank 1/4" HRS (hot rolled mild steel) plate was bought to make the plate frames.  The original drawings call for 5/32" plate but 1/4" actually cost me less and it would add weight on the drivers which any 0-4-0 can always use more of.  Many things on this model are heavier than necessary and in almost very case it was a matter of being able to add weight for little or no more cost or trouble.

I began by rough-sawing the frame plates to size on the cutoff bandsaw (in upright position) and the two rough plates were dressed (filed) and matched up.  I then drilled through in several paces which I knew would later be cut away (or enlarged) for bolting holes.  Two holes located in opposite ends of the pates were reamed for dowel pins so that if the frames needed to be separated, as they would be many times, the dowel pins would make certain the plates lined up exactly when machining continued.  First the frames were clamped in the mill and all edges, slots, offsets, etc, were finish milled.

With the frames mounted squared in the mill, critical holes for shafts, screws, pins, etc, were indicated in and drilled or bored.  The axlebox slots were chain-drilled and bandsawed out (Photo-1) and the finished axlebox slots were indicated in and milled out (Photo 2).  In Photo 2 you can see a set of axlebox horns being try-fitted in a slot, but that is getting ahead of the story.  Drilling and countersinking (when necessary) for most bolt and rivet holes was done and the frame plates were essentially complete.  Some holes were not drilled at this time because the exact locations various things remain to be decided and much of this will be decided by try & fit.  Some already drilled holes will not be used and will be filled.  Photo 3 - a finished frame held by Your Humble Servant, although as you can see horns, axleboxes, and pedestal caps had been added by the time this picture was taken.

If anyone wants more detail or information on, or to discuss anything I have or will describe in this thread I'll be more than happy to do that, but to keep this thread easier to follow I'll do that on the How To board.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 10:12:57 AM by GWRdriver »
Cheers,
GWRdriver
Nashville TN

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 03:36:04 PM »
Nice work GWR driver, I've always liked tich but the 3 1/2" version was just too small, I can imagine the 7 1/4" being a great performer though.

I live in Co. Durham, not heard of Ken Swan but I knows somebody else in our club who built a bridget, i've drove it on several occasions but unfortunately the guy eventually became too old to keep coming to our club. Shame as he was a brilliant engineer and a lovely guy. His bridget engine was extremely powerful, infact all of his engines were - no bling but just extremely well made.

Nick

Offline mcr

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 06:00:41 AM »
Ken Swan is the main man at Beamish Museum the club members are building a railway I would say rather than a track.
He builds in 7 1/4 " and the quality of his models and drawings are top draw. A friend of mine is building the Wren using Ken's drawings and castings he is very impressed.

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 04:55:17 PM »
That Wren looks much like Sweet William (7 1/4" gauge version of the sweet pea I am building) that will be a huge engine! I was tempted to it by the relatively simple boiler construction and things such as hackworth valve gear which can be seen in your pic.

Nick

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 12:53:22 PM »
Looking good so far. Nice, clean work.

Either my eyes are fooling me or that Wren is pretty big. Not really sure how big 7 1/4 gauge is....

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline kvom

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 02:17:29 PM »
7-1/4 refers to the spacing of the rails.  Scale defines how large the loco is wrt to a full-size prototype.  Typical scales for 7.5" gauge are 1.5, 1.6, and 2.5.  1.5 scale means 1.5" to 1 foot, or 1/8 size.  1.6 is slightly larger, and some prefer it because that's the ratio of the 7.5" model gauge to the 56" gauge of standard railroad tracks.  Using 1.6 makes the model/track relationship more exact.  Models in 2.5" scale are really massive, but can pull quite large loads.

Offline mcr

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 02:26:14 PM »
Some might find this link interesting:
http://www.bmeg.co.uk/

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 02:49:34 PM »
GWR,

Even though I come from what used to be one of the main railway towns in the UK, I have never had an interest in building a loco, I think due to the massive amount of time that, as you have shown, is required to go into even a small loco project.

But that doesn't stop me from admiring the work involved in getting one from the basics to a running machine.

I will be following your postings, but because I basically have very little knowledge of the workings and processes, I doubt very much I could help someone with your experience, but even though I won't be sticking my nose in, I will definitely be following along.

Plus I do like your method of 'hands on' metal working, a man after my own heart.

Good luck with your massive project.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline GWRdriver

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 09:02:15 AM »
Good luck with your massive project. - Bogs
Hello John,
Actually I'm going against the local grain in a couple of ways, first, because I'm building a British loco, and then because it's small (relatively speaking, for 7+ga) and the trend over here these days is toward big, Big, BIG!  I tend to prefer quality over quantity.  Sometimes things don't evolve exactly as you intend and as I say above, I've added time and labor to the project in an number of areas.  One thing is certain however, I am getting an education.  The project includes a number of processes, techniques, materials I've read about and discussed, and generally prepared myself to use, but when I did actually get round to doing them I realized how much there is yet to learn.  For instance, I learned that a short length of steel pipe which has been turned and finished all over, and to closely match other mating parts, does not stay round when anything more than a drilled hole is cut through it.  The adventure continues.

I think there was a popular railway book entiled "From Inverness to Crewe"
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 12:24:59 PM by GWRdriver »
Cheers,
GWRdriver
Nashville TN

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 10:21:03 AM »
Both Stew and myself spent our childhood not far from the main railway works, and we both remember and talk about what it was like. In fact my father was stone deaf by the age of 40, because he worked all his life (except for the war years) in the wheel shop, very close to the main forge hammers. But anyway, that is besides the point.

I did help Stew get the techniques right for building his copper boiler, but after seeing what time he has put into the rest of his small loco build, I just knew it would never be for me.

I will leave that for you people that have a lot more patience.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline GWRdriver

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 11:37:56 PM »
Page 3
For me working on one task for too long can get tedious so I always have several things going on at any one time so when I tire of one, or just want a change, I can move to another job and still make progress on the overall project.  Sometimes when I hit a snag, such as when I've ruined a part, or if waiting on materials, or puzzling over a problem, I find it often helps if I just walk away and do something else for a while.  With the frames under way the first alternative chore I switched to was spiffing up the driver castings.  These were old and a bit rough, but very well seasoned, so they got a thorough once-over with files and die grinder and with the bumps and grain smoothed out they were sand-blasted.  The two bottom drivers [Photo 4] are after dressing but before sand-blasting, and the upper two are after sand-blasting.  The finish was good enough that no casting filler was required and the wheels were red-oxide prime-painted and set aside.  Note the Cad drawing of the frame (with tons of red marks) behind the wheels.

I began the buffer beam assemblies simultaneously with the frames, first because they gave me an alternative to work on, but also the opportunity to get into some "detail" work (which I like to do) right away.  They would also be the first thing I needed in order to erect the frames and actually see something "in the air" rather than on a sheet of paper.

The front and rear main frame stretchers (seen in Photo 8) were made up from 3"x 5"x 3/8" steel angle with 1/4" steel gusset plates arc-welded into each end.  What should have been a dead simple task turned out to be an ordeal as I am the world's worst arc-welder and a lot of grinding and rewelding was required, but they survived and were milled square on outside (front) face, tops, and ends, and were drilled and tapped to receive screws through the frames.  For structural assembly of the frame I used mostly socket head alloy cap screws, which look SO out of place on a model, BUT the frame screws are cleverly hidden from view so unless you have a flashlight and an inspection mirror you won't see them.

The buffer beams [Photo 5] were planks of 1/4" CRS milled square on the ends and drilled for threaded steel rivets which are not cosmetic but actually hold the beam in place and offer a connection point for platework to be added later.  I made up a simple chuck to hold the rivets by their head ends while they were threaded in the lathe.  The coupling hooks [Photo 7] which are yet to be finished profiled, were sawn and milled from an alloy steel and the rectangular shanks extend through the buffer beam and connect to a sprung drawbar pocket inside the main frame stretcher.  The coupling links and screws are yet to be made.

The buffer stocks (or bases) and heads [Photo 6] were turned from steel and the stocks were a straightforward bit of turning and boring.  The diamond tread step detail was done by first milling a rectangular recess in the tops of the stocks.  Next an insert, also recessed, was milled from CRS to fit the recess in the stocks and held in by a screw which you can just see in the photo.  Finally the raised diamond tread material was made by cutting diagonal slots in 16ga brass sheet using a slotting saw in the mill.  Slots were cut at intervals in one direction, then the brass was turned 60° and crossing slots were cut in the other direction.  The diamond tread blanks were then milled and filed to fit the recesses in the step blocks.

The buffer heads (the thin round part) presented a challenge . . . how to turn the buffer faces to a true radius by mechanical means, rather resort to the step-turn & file approximation of a radius.  The solution was to connect the cross slide (and therefore the tool point) to a fixed point on the bed with a pivoting radius arm, so that as the cross slide is moved in the Y direction the carriage is pulled (or pushed) in the X direction by the radius arm.  The result is that as the cross slide is moved, in either direction, the tool tip will trace a true arc, equal in radius to the length of the radius arm, across the face of the work.  Once this was done I went to work with some emery cloth to remove the minor tool marks and they were done.

Once the buffer beams, frame stretchers, and main frames were completed the contraption was bolted together [Photo 8] to see how it fit.  So far, so good.  Next time I'll post a few more buffer details and get to the axleboxes and horns.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:11:47 AM by GWRdriver »
Cheers,
GWRdriver
Nashville TN

Offline GWRdriver

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »
Lads,
I'm sorry not to have continued to post on my TICH project but Springtime always brings demands on my time which I don't have at other times of year and this year is no different.  One of the distractions is when time becomes available I would rather WORK on it than WRITE about it, but I shall return in due time and the compliments are greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
GWRdriver
Nashville TN

Offline monaroman

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 10:29:22 AM »
Hi, just thought I'd comment and say that I've been building a 7 1/4 gauge "Tich" for the last three years. I have not had the luxury of any casting's so have had to make everything from scratch, it's a long and laborious task but one that has taught me a lot about working with metal (being a first time builder too) I suppose I could have picked something simple that had casting's available but I wanted something big and as no stuff was available for the "Tich" and I'd fallen in love with the little engine I thought how hard can it be................well I soon found out lol. Alas times have changed and I now find myself without a workshop and with no room so sadly I have to let my "Tich" go to someone who will continue on with the build and I have placed her on "E bay" (item number 250820010577) but I wish you all the best with yours.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:36:02 AM by monaroman »

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 10:05:22 AM »
Lads,
I'm sorry not to have continued to post on my TICH project but Springtime always brings demands on my time which I don't have at other times of year and this year is no different.  One of the distractions is when time becomes available I would rather WORK on it than WRITE about it, but I shall return in due time and the compliments are greatly appreciated.

Just curious, How is this project coming along?

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best