Author Topic: Possible new Mill, Should I Buy, or Pass  (Read 3573 times)

Offline ibuildstuff4u

Possible new Mill, Should I Buy, or Pass
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:58:33 PM »
So my 15 year old nephew called me and said their school is trying to get rid on an old CNC mill that they were given a few years ago.  The machine was donated from a local shop after it's mother board went out and they no longer wanted to fix it.  Looks to be in good shape, but it's way bigger than I can fit in my shop at this time and would need a phase converter, as well as a mother board or a retrofit. 

What do you guys think, would I be getting in way over my head with a machine this big?  I worry that it could take too much cash to fix? 

The school was thinking of scrapping and is just looking for an offer if I'm interested, but I would have to store it for a year or two until we move to a larger house with a bigger shop.

Here is a picture, it's a Tree Journeyman 220.

Dale P.

Offline Kjelle

Re: Possible new Mill, Should I Buy, or Pass
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 02:12:13 AM »
Hi Dale!

Ask yourself a few questions before you decide... Can I afford to store it one or two years (if you have to pay for storage)? Will I be able to fix it within a my budget? Am I sure that my new home will have the bigger shop I need? And, of course, will my significant other accept me buying it?

And for the hardware fix, check in on Practical Machinist, as this is more of a industrial mill than "hobbyist". I suppose all the old stuff can be replaced with a laptop and somekind of interface to the mechanical parts, using Mach3 or some other program...

But it sure looks like one h-l of a machine!

Kjelle

Offline Davo J

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 06:04:56 AM »
If you can get it for just above scrap price you could re sell it to buy a mill more suited to you.
A lot of people will say if you want a cnc mill you are better off buying one like that and refitting it with Mach3 or similar, all the hard work is done.

Dave

Offline AR1911

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 05:53:38 PM »
I say take it.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 03:12:42 AM »
Don't worry about the size - a machine tool is NEVER too big. Maybe a workshop is too small but that's another matter <G>

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
Well I slept on it for a few nights and I'm going to have to pass on the mill.  Would be a nice machine, but the thought of having to store it for a year or two is scaring me away.  We don't have our new house picked out yet ether and there is a chance that the new shop will be too small for it too.

Thanks for the help!

Dale P.

Offline rschilp

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 08:22:46 PM »
Were are you and the mill located? maybe someone else on here would be interested? it would be a shame if a nice mill like that would get scrapped.

I for one would love to add that to my shop.

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »
The mill is located in Oshkosh WI.  The mill was donated by a local machine shop because the mother board went out and they decided to replace the machine instead of fixing it.  It school never had the time or money to fix it and said the mother board was expensive so they decided to get rid of it.  I think they may post it on Craigs list before taking it apart as they would like to see it go to a good home too.

Dale P.