Author Topic: Real Bull Machine 7x14 mini lathe headstock tapered bearing upgrade help please  (Read 22344 times)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Hi SLM,
Can't give you a length for my spacer. It's inside the covers, in a frozen workshop........  :(

Also, they're all individual to each modified machine.

Mount the tumbler gear, and both locknuts, in their relative positions. With the l/h nut, flush with the end of the spindle. (As, 2nd  pic down)...  http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,1292.0.html

Then measure between bearing face and tumbler gear face......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline SLM

Thanks!  I was thinking that the distance from the bearing to gear plus a few thousandths for preload would be right, just gotta try to measure it.

Any idea what the OD of the material you used is?  I know my 1.250" stuff is too small. Maybe I can dig up some 1.500" aluminum.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
Thanks!  I was thinking that the distance from the bearing to gear plus a few thousandths for preload would be right, just gotta try to measure it.

Any idea what the OD of the material you used is?  I know my 1.250" stuff is too small. Maybe I can dig up some 1.500" aluminum.

I made mine the same diameter as the bearing inner ring.......  :thumbup:

Then reduced the drive belt area, to clear the larger diameter pulley/ belt.

David D
David.

Offline John Rudd

IIRC, the diameter was 1.5 inches......
I may still have an offcut from the bar I made my spacer from... :dremel:

Shame you're across the pond else I could have posted it to you :Doh:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline SLM

Thanks guys!  :D

John, postage would be a killer, LOL!  I think I can get 1.5" locally so I'll try and get some measurements tonight or tomorrow and go from there.

I've already noticed an improvement parting off the spacer I made with the tapered bearings. :)

Offline John Rudd

Thanks guys!  :D

John, postage would be a killer, LOL!  I think I can get 1.5" locally so I'll try and get some measurements tonight or tomorrow and go from there.

I've already noticed an improvement parting off the spacer I made with the tapered bearings. :)

So a worthwhile investment of time and materials...? :coffee:

I think so, and have never looked back...

My Sieg machine is a great little machine and I love it.... :clap:
I'm just in the middle of making some more tool holders for the qctp I made for it a while back..Next I think is going to be a saddle stop ( again..I already made one for it but took it off to put on another machine...err yes the one I sold.. :D)
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline SLM

Considering it had to come apart to replace the gear it was definitely a worthwhile upgrade! :) Probably worth it just to do the bearings but I'd do the gears while it was apart.

I've read a carriage lock would also be a good help with facing and parting. One of those is on my list of wants followed by a stop. Being able to bore / drill to the same depth sounds very nice!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
Hi SLM,
Can't give you a length for my spacer. It's inside the covers, in a frozen workshop........  :(

Mount the tumbler gear, and both locknuts, in their relative positions. With the l/h nut, flush with the end of the spindle.

Then measure between bearing face and tumbler gear face......  :thumbup:

David D

SLM.
Had an overnight think.  :scratch:

The tumbler gear position, must be in working alignment with it's mating gears. The corresponding position of the locknuts doesn't matter.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Offline SLM

Ah, good point!  All those bits are still scattered around the basement, I never thought of them. I guess the best way then is going to be to rig those back on and measure.

It looks like the optimal OD for the spacer would be 1.750" as the1 1/2 is still smaller than the bearing but it isn't available locally. I'm sure it will be better than the 1.500" stuff though!