Author Topic: Small Machine Vice  (Read 8179 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Small Machine Vice
« on: January 24, 2013, 05:48:41 AM »
When I purchased my first Milling Machine, a free standing RODNEY my finances were stretched, and I was looking around for a small project to try out my new acquisition.  I only had a small drilling machine vice, so decided to make a machine vice for the mill.
      The vice measurements  8x4 inches overall.   Base ht 1 inch,   3off  Blocks of stock MS  2.25 X 1.75 X 1.25 inches,
      Guide Bar 10.75 x 1inch,  Screw 1/2 inch BSW.  8.75 inches overall.
      The base can be fabricated from standard sections, or machined from solid.

Cheers David

Offline slowcoach

Re: Small Machine Vice
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 06:06:52 AM »
Nice job on the vice David  :clap: Any chance of some pictures of your RODNEY milling machine?  I have a small Rodney drill press that i have restored, but  I cannot find any info on the company that made it.

Cheers
Rob  :thumbup:

Offline sparky961

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 09:37:56 AM »
That's an interesting design.  Am I correct that the long piece of flatbar that's visible is connected to the moving jaw, and prevents it from lifting?

-Sparky

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 10:55:33 AM »
Very tidy job David  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rob

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 02:37:25 PM »
Hi Guys thanks for your comments. Rob a ref. and pics at www.lathes .co.uk / rodney   This is a Machine Tool Reference Archive.
Select Milling machines, then scroll down to Rodney. Tony will provide more info by email if req'd .

Sparky, you are quite right, the guide  bar is attached to the moving jaw, and prevents it from lifting.

David

Offline slowcoach

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 05:48:12 AM »
Cheers  :thumbup:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 06:05:11 AM »

Sparky, you are quite right, the guide  bar is attached to the moving jaw, and prevents it from lifting.

David

I would have thought that it is primarily to keep swarf out of the screw rather than prevent lifting, as it also needs the same clearances as the moving jaw, and when extended that clearance would be magnified by the jaw spacing.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline sparky961

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 09:04:12 AM »

David

I would have thought that it is primarily to keep swarf out of the screw rather than prevent lifting, as it also needs the same clearances as the moving jaw, and when extended that clearance would be magnified by the jaw spacing.

I see your point, and agree to an extent.  It wouldn't positively remove all lifting/twisting from the jaw.  I do think that it would be considerably better than if only the jaw itself was constrained by a dovetail slide, box ways, or the like.  The greater the distance between vice ends, the better the effect.  It would have to be shimmed pretty snug to work, but the magnification you talk about would actually be a division (making the jaw move less than the slide) if you consider the geometry.

Not as good as the "Kurt" style that splits the force in and down, but not bad given the simplicity.

Maybe my thinking is backwards, but I wouldn't hesitate to give this design a try myself at some point.  The biggest disadvantage that I see for it is requiring clearance for the bar to stick out the back when the vice is closed fully.

-Sparky