Author Topic: A Mini-Mill Project; Early Days.  (Read 26872 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: A Mini-Mill Project; Early Days.
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2013, 04:51:04 PM »
One of the early replies to my post regarding feed-screw pitches referred me to lathes.co.uk and pointed out that my measurements were incorrect.   The odd-ball feed-screw is the X-axis, 16 tpi.  The Y-axis is 20 tpi and the Z-axis is 8 tpi.

In answer to your question, I don't intend to fit either DTI or DRO to this machine - watch this space!!  (Here's a clue for the Z-axis - think ML7!)

Pete, sorry, I somehow missed the corrected pitches. Glad you aren't adding the DTI and DRO, it would spoil the look.

I guess you could graduate a Y dial with 50 divisions. Plus long lines on the tens with numbers
And the Z with a somewhat inconvenient 125 divisions yielding probably lines on the fives with numbers
X wants 62.5 so a non-starter, although 125 divisions would give you half thous, but no numbers or long lines

I've never seen an ML7 in the iron, so looking forward to seeing what you will do with the Z, and curious about plans for the X. Watching!  :coffee:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline DavidA

Re: A Mini-Mill Project; Early Days.
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 05:54:59 PM »
Remember to feed the job in from the right hand side.

No climb milling]  bad things can happen.

I need to get my little horizontal mill going.  But first have to get the lathe back on it's new bench and the motor properly mounted before the weather changes.

Dave.