Author Topic: Powered hacksaw.  (Read 14397 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Powered hacksaw.
« on: March 03, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »
We have been into this project for a while.. Mostly for sourcing material.
But its based out of some ideas seen on youtube. Myfordboy is the main source for these type of thingymajigs. =)

This is being made a bit.. bulkier with a adaptive frame for the blade and we wanna be able to handle 200mm in diameter.

first images..

And a closeup of the "guides" for the sawblade frame. =)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: Powered hacksaw.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 04:08:39 PM »
This'll be interesting to me. I've been tempted to build a power hacksaw for years but the big thing holding me back is the feeling that maybe hacksawing is the only real exercise I ever get.

Offline velocette

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »
Hi NeoTech
On my Having a keen interest in "Power Hacksaws" from being a lad at school first seeing one at work.

They are fascinating to watch at work,  much more pleasant than a screaming band saw.

Keep us all posted on progress.

If I may make a comment to S. Heslop Go for it and get on and make yourself a power hacksaw a lot of enjoyment in building from scratch.

And even more pleasure when it is finished and doing it's job. Take a stroll while it does  it's at work.

They are not the fastest cutting machines but when set up well are extremely accurate.

Eric

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 03:24:13 AM »
A chap on another forum has just finished building one, as per plans bought from Myfordboy, and utilising the motor and some other parts from a cheap and rattly Chinese drill press. He's delighted with it.

There's an interesting one shown in the forst photo here:
< http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/sites/7/documents/westbury-hacksaw-1.pdf >
If that link doesn't work (you may need to be a subscriber to see it), It has no vice to hold stock. Instead, the saw bolts on to the moving tenon which sticks out of the back of a largish bench vice, the stock being gripped in the vice itself.

One thing which occurs to me is that to deal with large stock, the stroke of the saw will need to be fairly short. Then, on small stock, only the middle section of the blade wil be doing any cutting. To even out blade wear on small stock, maybe it would be an idea to have a crank pin which can be bolted in at various distances from the axis of the crankshaft.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 05:33:43 AM »
Have made adjustability in the crank pin for "different stroke" length, that needs to be taken in calculation depending on what blade length you are using, and motor speed. Nothing is welded onto this cause i wanted it to be able to be very versatile.

The myfordboy plans is prob. nice.. but google old patents and you find a bunch of drawings to draw conclusions from.. =)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/