Author Topic: Grizzly G4000  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Raymond56

Grizzly G4000
« on: October 27, 2012, 04:23:15 AM »

Hello everyone,
This guy here in Hawaii has a Grizzly G4000 for $750.00
Do you think that is a good deal?
Haven't looked at it yet and don't know if all the mods or any have been made. I will take a look tomorrow.
Hopefully he has alot of accessories to go with it to make it a good deal.

I am interested in this ( http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3536&category=1271799306 ) Not a bad price and maybe you can tell me what you think about it as well. Only prob. is they want about $300.00 in S&H to Hawaii. But do you think it will be better than the Grizzly?
Living in Hawaii does have it's downfalls...   S&H allways sucks...

Let me know what you think? ASAP  Going to see the guy about the Grizzly tomorrow at noon...

Thanks so much..
Raymond56

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Re: Grizzly G4000
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:07:27 AM »
Wel consider what you gonna use it for. Are you gonna primarily use it for making models and small items. Or will you have the need sometimes to take care of bigger jobs?

I bought a so called gunsmithing lathe, its kinda big. But it will handle bigger work. Although most things i turn is really small items. But sometimes that odd job comes up that calls for the bigger machine. When deciding for a lathe. you need to consider what you will use it for primarily and what you wanna be able todo if the odd job comes up.

Are you gonna turn kingpins for the spindle on a car project. well you probl not need the dimensions of the larger lathe but you will need a higher torque/speed machine. Are you gonna do gunsmithing work on barrels for the odd job - well then you need the length and size, but you arent really in need of the higher torque..

What im trying to say.. Think lateral.. one step ahead and dont focus on your current needs, think about what you wanna be able todo. The lathe is a really versatile tool. And prob. the most used in your shop efter if u get a mill or 2, the lathe will always be the one tool you will prob. use most when you get comfortable with it. =)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 11:11:07 AM »
Hi Raymond

If the Grizzly 4000 is in good shape, then yeah, you would be saving a great deal on shipping.

However, for the cost of the LMS lathe (with shipping) you could probably get the G0602 which is a 10x22. Much heavier and has a larger work area.

You live in Hawaii. I imagine dealing with the shipping charges is only a minor hiccup!  :beer:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Raymond56

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 01:49:41 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Neo & Eric
It's like a Boat...  After you buy one you allways want a biger one. I'll go take a look today and see what the guy has. Maybe I'll have a new toy ths weekend......  YES!     :thumbup: